HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1321  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:40 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
And to give a stunning example of the kind of immature reactions this forum can have, I present this post by 1overcosc who felt the need to share his understanding of how climate works:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6877194&postcount=1012

And this response:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6878282&postcount=1023
The big difference is that rousseau was obviously not serious, while you, when you stated "I don't call May 'spring', in Calgary, May is still largely winter", were actually not joking.

You don't need to go and explain something basic to someone who's just messing with you... hence my remark that 1overcosc's explanation hadn't actually been needed.

In your case though, pointing out that what we all consider winter weather being typical in May (for a location in the middle of the northern hemisphere) absolutely means that "spring over there is cold" seemed justified.


P.S. Definitely no smoke coming out of my ears if you say "snow season" in Calgary extends to include nearly all of spring. It's a very reasonable thing to say. And I know the internet doesn't convey tone well (if at all), but I assure you, I'm not taking anything personally, far from it
     
     
  #1322  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:46 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
Your responding is what fuels it. Stop responding, and what you perceive to be "cyberbullying" will also stop.
I might be veering off-topic a bit but I think an essential component of ACTUAL bullying is that the target can't escape the bully, be it at school, at the job, on social networks, etc.

But if you come here and dish it out, people will assume you can also take it.

Chadillaccc is basically willingly entering one of those amateur boxing competitions and then complaining that the other guy has tried to punch him in the face, as opposed to real bullying for which the analogy would be something more like "you're peacefully walking outside when this guy attacks you and punches you in the face".
     
     
  #1323  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:55 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Certainly it didn't benefit me any, as my ultimate point was simply to point out the usage of "season", especially as it pertains to "snow season" (not even a technically correct term as I can almost see the smoke coming out of your ears from here), as it is relevant to the specific and certainly special regional location of Calgary.
It's funny because I can't help but think of you now when I see one of these huge billboards near my house (I'm in FL until further notice with no set return date to Can) to try to boost support for a beach/surfing preservation cause... they're selling special license plates, of which I have seen a few on the road already.

(Scroll down after clicking for an example of the billboard...)

http://endlesssummerplate.com/

I think I will write them to insist that summer lasts three months in FL too...

I'd actually have a point, as the locals here think it's cold and they would definitely call it winter (I'm in a t-shirt and still sweating.)

Which of course it is. It's winter here.
     
     
  #1324  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:56 AM
craneSpotter's Avatar
craneSpotter craneSpotter is offline
is watching.
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greater Victoria
Posts: 3,083
Another really nice winter day in Victoria... +9 to 12 on my travels. Sunny this afternoon and calm.

Yesterday we had a high of 11 and low of 3.
     
     
  #1325  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 1:35 AM
DarthMalgus DarthMalgus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Chadillaccc is basically willingly entering one of those amateur boxing competitions and then complaining that the other guy has tried to punch him in the face, as opposed to real bullying for which the analogy would be something more like "you're peacefully walking outside when this guy attacks you and punches you in the face".
My 2 cents is that I think a few people around here know how to get under Chad's skin, and therefore do so regularly for their own amusement. I would not call it cyberbullying per se, but it is a little mean spirited, kind of juvenile and definitely not classy.

Anyways, haven't we all wasted enough time bickering about whether Chad was accurate in his depiction of what constitutes "spring" in Calgary, as opposed to discussing real weather news?
     
     
  #1326  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 2:54 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
Anyways, haven't we all wasted enough time bickering about whether Chad was accurate in his depiction of what constitutes "spring" in Calgary, as opposed to discussing real weather news?
If you're referring to me, it was geotag's, not Chad's, definition of spring that was being discussed then.

Chad afterwards chimed in to say that he considered that stating that spring was, well, spring, was pedantic.

FWIW, it started after a Torontonian mentioned Calgary's "usual late spring early summer dumping of the white stuff". Then we heard "we actually rarely get snow out of season since we consider May to still be snow season". But isn't a May snow precisely a late spring dumping of the white stuff?

The whole conversation was people on both sides of the argument saying basically the same thing.


P.S. If you have any weather-related things to report feel free to do so any time whether or not there's any other discussion taking place at the moment.
     
     
  #1327  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:16 AM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Laramidia
Posts: 12,783
Castlegar this week: 5 2 1 2 4 3
     
     
  #1328  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:18 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Jesus Christ, that's still happening? C'est la vie...


Made it to 7 today as forecast, currently 0 as of 9 pm. Heading up to 2 tomorrow for the final day of our 3-week (or 20 days, since I don't want that 1 missing day to cause a 6 page argument) warm spell (or mild spell, since saying warm could also cause a 6 page argument) Going below zero until at least Wednesday next week it looks like, will be nice to get back to actual winter with snow for a bit though
     
     
  #1329  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:14 AM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 23,132
Guys. Enough.
     
     
  #1330  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 10:42 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
Temperatures as of 7 a.m. Newfoundland Time:



There's a silver thaw on today - freezing rain. High is forecast to be 2C.

Sunday is our last forecast high above freezing (5C). Then it's -7 / -3 / -7 / -2 for the rest of the forecast. Ugh.

Records for January 30

High: 9.1C (2008)
Low: -20.6C (1957)
     
     
  #1331  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:25 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,357
Currently -16C and a very impressive ice fog in Moncton.

Another 30 cm of snow tomorrow.......
     
     
  #1332  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:41 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
I'd love to see ice fog. I've seen it foggy here at close to 0C but that's it. And I've seen hoarfrost, they call it, in Winnipeg. But not an icy fog that covers everything instantly like the YouTube videos.

Your storm is supposed to be here later on too. And it'll be cold then so probably snow.

This freezing rain is worse than I realized. Took me forever to scrape my car and it's an inch thick on the roads for sure. It's supposed to continue until early afternoon.



     
     
  #1333  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 1:11 PM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario/Colchester, Ontario
Posts: 5,935
Cold and -9c with sun and flurries.
     
     
  #1334  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 2:06 PM
SaskScraper's Avatar
SaskScraper SaskScraper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Saskatoon/London
Posts: 2,359
Huge dump of snow at Montréal-Trudeau airport last night!
I'm making a connection & think I caught the tail end of Snowmageddeon on the eastern seaboard and this airport is moving snow like crazy

the dance of the snowblowers moments ago
     
     
  #1335  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:13 PM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is online now
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 14,027
Everyone knows that there are six seasons.

Pipon
Sikwan
Miyoskamin
Nipin
Takwakin
Mikiskaw
     
     
  #1336  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:23 PM
craneSpotter's Avatar
craneSpotter craneSpotter is offline
is watching.
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greater Victoria
Posts: 3,083
sitting @ 3 downtown at 7am. Forecast calls for a high of 10 today with mainly sunny skies - same a s yesterday.

Pic from the raising of the 12 flag in downtown Victoria yesterday - GO HAWKS!

     
     
  #1337  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:28 PM
Tony's Avatar
Tony Tony is online now
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,998
ok everyone, stop pedantically cyber-bullying each other. This is Canada and it's a thread about weather, keep it classy and ontrack while you gripe about the weather.



Currently -11C (-24C with windchill) at 10:26 am

     
     
  #1338  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:52 PM
Nicko999's Avatar
Nicko999 Nicko999 is offline
Go Chiefs!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 20,188
It was a very cold January. With a -11.7C avg temperature, it will be our coldest January since 2009. And another wave of Arctic air is coming...
     
     
  #1339  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:58 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
I was quite surprised to discover today that Ottawa's winters are quite sunny. 43% of possible daylight in Ottawa versus 40% in Edmonton for the month of January. I guess I had just always assumed that Ottawa was more like Toronto during the winter in terms of sunlight hours, ie mostly overcast.
Sunshine hours for various Canadian cities (ones I've lived in plus Toronto.)

Code:
City       JAN   FEB   MAR   APR   MAY   JUN   JUL   AUG   SEP   OCT   NOV  DEC  TOTAL
Winnipeg   114.7 133.9 181.9 241.4 285.2 276.3 308.3 281.4 189.0 147.4 93.9 99.5 2,352.9
Edmonton   100.8 121.7 176.3 244.2 279.9 285.9 307.5 282.3 192.7 170.8 98.4 84.5 2,344.8 
Regina      96.1 133.5 154.5 236.6 262.4 277.7 325.4 287.4 198.1 163.3 97.9 85.4 2,318.2 
Ottawa     122.4 114.1 168.5 187.5 210.5 274.0 301.4 231.9 211.5 148.8 92.4 68.8 2,131.7 
Toronto     85.9 111.3 161.0 180.0 227.7 259.6 279.6 245.6 194.4 154.3 88.9 78.1 2,066.3 
St. John's  65.5  90.2 107.4 140.4 176.3 198.9 216.7 206.6 170.5 122.1 76.3 62.4 1,633.2
The summary as far as sunshine goes: Canada itself 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 in November and December. St. John's 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 pretty much all year. Regina blows in November, December and January. I would assume lake effects would account for much of the difference between Ottawa and Toronto, but Ottawa is downright sunny in January.

Back to cold for a bit now here with daytime highs dropping to five or six degrees below normal (around -15C.) I can't complain about having two weeks of ten to fifteen degrees above normal in January. Despite slippery sidewalks any break from what we usually get is now.
     
     
  #1340  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:04 PM
travis3000's Avatar
travis3000 travis3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Simcoe County, ON
Posts: 6,506
Great Canadian SNOWFALL Update:
As of today

1. Moncton, NB (183.3cm) .....a big storm is coming tomorrow with another 30cm on the way.
2. St. Johns (137cm)
3. Montreal (122.3cm)
4. Calgary (111.2cm)
5. Ottawa (103.4cm)
6. Halifax (66.2cm)
7. Toronto (53.1cm)
8. Vancouver (2cm)
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:05 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.