HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1261  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 10:35 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Woah... from +20 to -10 in a single week? Yeesh people aren't kidding when they talk about Calgary weather being a giant rollercoaster.
And that's high to high. High to low might be +20 to -20 this week.
     
     
  #1262  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 10:35 PM
craneSpotter's Avatar
craneSpotter craneSpotter is offline
is watching.
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greater Victoria
Posts: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
Just got back last night from Maui, where it's been around 22-27 for daily highs, though the last few days and evenings were surprisingly cool and quite windy. Sat-Sunday nights in Lahaina felt like it was as low as 16 around sunset, especially when right by the sea. However, it was pretty sunny, with only one day that was mostly cloudy and drizzly.
We've always lucked out with west Maui in January... last time it was 28-30 everyday in the Lahaina area for nearly two weeks straight with some humidity - so walking around in the sun early afternoon had us seeking shade. It was usually 26/27 by 10am & the coolest I felt was around sunrise when the truck gauge said it was 18 - I was still in shorts & t-shirt tho - but sunroof closed There was a cold snap the week before we arrived - a few days with highs of only 24 along with high surf. I believe there was even some snow atop Haleakala. Lots of people were still talking about it when we got there.

If you didn't already know, the warmest spot on maui in winter is usually south Kihei...it is typically 2/3 degrees warmer than west Maui - and if it's raining in west Maui it's probably sunny in Kihei. And, if you haven't tried it yet, the Kohala coast on the Big Island generally has the best winter weather in Hawaii - don't stay in Kailua-Kona! The area from Waikoloa Beach Resort north past Kawaihae is basically a desert with several awesome beaches.

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx#maui

Last edited by craneSpotter; Jan 27, 2015 at 10:50 PM.
     
     
  #1263  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 10:44 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Filmed a little bit of my early rush hour commute to my mother's place, where I had supper, and then a little bit of the runaround in Rabbittown once I got home.

It was slow going in the storm, and by the time I got home, it was already turning to freezing rain.

A couple of our busiest (most lanes) intersections (don't laugh) and random women throwing themselves in front of cars.

• Video Link
     
     
  #1264  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:51 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Woah... from +20 to -10 in a single week? Yeesh people aren't kidding when they talk about Calgary weather being a giant rollercoaster.
We weren't at +20, but yes it is a roller coaster for sure. It's always been this way, nothing new. It's what happens being at the Front Ranges, directly effected by both Pacific and Arctic systems. What's new is how high the temperatures are going, not the fact that we have extended warm temps in the winter. Last year our January avg. high was 3 degrees, a degree higher than what we're likely to end up with by the end of this January, but none of the individual days last Jan. were anywhere near as warm as what we saw today and Sunday.



Some beautiful images courtesy of The Weather Network...


http://www.theweathernetwork.com/photos/...er/january-26-sunrise-or-sunset/21470830

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/photos/view/beautiful-weather/calgary-sunrise/21472384

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/photos/view/beautiful-weather/morning-glory/21467643
     
     
  #1265  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:35 AM
middeljohn middeljohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 1,681
Lethbridge IS likely to go from +20 to -20 this week though.

Edmonton will very likely go from +9 to -25 this week. A temp swing I don't believe I've experienced before...
     
     
  #1266  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 8:41 AM
craneSpotter's Avatar
craneSpotter craneSpotter is offline
is watching.
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greater Victoria
Posts: 3,083
Man, what a nice afternoon in Victoria. High of 14. Sunny and calm...just beautiful....

the west at midnight...



Forecast for today is a mix of sun and cloud and 11. We'll see.
     
     
  #1267  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:29 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
It's morning here and, finally, we're back above freezing at 1C. The forecast is for 7C today.

Records for today:

High: 13.4C (1986)
Low: -18.3 (1992)

Snow on ground record is 126cm from 2001! Wow.
     
     
  #1268  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:14 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
8:30 a.m. Newfoundland Time and it's already 8C. AND the sun is breaking through the fog. Awesome.
     
     
  #1269  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:16 PM
Stryker Stryker is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
8:30 a.m. Newfoundland Time and it's already 8C. AND the sun is breaking through the fog. Awesome.
Lol

Don't believe him he's full of —.

He's speaking newfie.


I'll speak mainlander for you I think I can pull it off.

HOLY — WHAT Was that — last night.

This weather — —.

Slipperly as — everywhere.

Wet sloppy snow everywhere, and I think it's still raining.

Like seriously it's insane how bad this weather is.
     
     
  #1270  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:28 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Where are you? Sun is out here. :-) Defintely not raining. Last night did — tho. I posted a video of it above. ;-)

Edit: Fog is back. But still definitely not raining. And you can see the sun through the fog more than usual. It's quite thin.

View from my office right now:

     
     
  #1271  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:31 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,371
We're on the tail end of the storm now in Moncton.

Currently -6C with freezing drizzle.

Totals so far are 39 cm of snow. Peak wind gusts yesterday were around 112 km/hr.

As occasionally occurs when the jet stream dips southward over the east coast, you can have a progression of nor'easters one after another. There are snow events now forecast for Saturday and next Tuesday.

God I hate winter.......
     
     
  #1272  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:38 PM
Stryker Stryker is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Where are you? Sun is out here. :-) Defintely not raining. Last night did — tho. I posted a video of it above. ;-)
Lol I'm not believing you. It's completely overcast from my window.

And the ground is a — mess.

Are your sure a street lamp didn't forget to turn off or something?

Maybe your in St john Jamaica?

EDIT: A glowing corner of the sky is not what people call teh sun being out.

Your nationalist propaganda will be exposed.

FACT: 6000 thousands sewersides occur here after each storm.
     
     
  #1273  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:46 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Yeah but my initial post said it was breaking through the fog. How else would you describe half the sky a bright orange? Between that post and your comment, the fog disappeared entirely and the sun was out here. Now the fog is back. But it's still bright, sun is still breaking through the fog, it's officially 8C and rising at YYT... I don't understand what part you're disagreeing with?

I've no problem admitting when our weather is —. That's half the fun of this thread. But today isn't one of those days. It's a fantastic January day.

Aaannnddd now the sun is completely gone lol. But it's just fog. It'll roll away and back again probably before I even click post on this reply.
     
     
  #1274  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:08 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Sun is back. Completely unobstructed by fog or clouds, which are still low on the horizon. Now 9C. I think this would objectively be a fine January day absolutely anywhere in Canada. Even BC and Windsor.



(Heating in my office is insane. I have to open the window even in -5C. Not showing off)



(Despite what my shadow may imply, I'm not secretly a voluptuous bald woman)

We get our share of — weather, Stryker. They already know that. That's our reputation. We don't need to deny the fine days we do get.

EDIT: Sun is gone again. No wait, Nevermind. It's coming back.

EDIT: 10C!

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 28, 2015 at 1:27 PM.
     
     
  #1275  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:09 PM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Filmed a little bit of my early rush hour commute to my mother's place, where I had supper, and then a little bit of the runaround in Rabbittown once I got home.

It was slow going in the storm, and by the time I got home, it was already turning to freezing rain.

A couple of our busiest (most lanes) intersections (don't laugh) and random women throwing themselves in front of cars.

• Video Link
Take care of frostbutt !!
     
     
  #1276  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:16 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
I never heard —. But I certainly don't pronounce bit like he did.
     
     
  #1277  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:24 PM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario/Colchester, Ontario
Posts: 5,935
Sunny and forcasted to hit -4c, Detroit calling for -1c, hopefully it'll hit -1c.
     
     
  #1278  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Humidity is 100% right now. Doesn't that mean I should be drowning?

Edit: Also as of yesterday, our average daily high for January is up to -0.1C. With today and the rest of the month forecast to be at least above freezing, we should have an average high above zero for this month.
     
     
  #1279  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 2:10 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 7,642
I think the weather's great here today. You gotta put it all in perspective. Sure, it rained all last night and everything's wet, even a little slippery in a few places.

But when I walked to work yesterday it was -10, dark, and windy. When I walked to work this morning it was +10, pretty bright, and calm. Plus we're over halfway to winter speedo temperatures

Enjoy today, it won't be this nice again until June.
     
     
  #1280  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:43 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Already surpassed our forecast high of 2, currently 4 as of 11 am. Highs for Thursday and Friday have been revised up to 6 and 7 respectively.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.