HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #481  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:57 AM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
That's because 111 Main isn't "going up". Come on, let's be serious. It's painfully obvious that this building is in trouble. Either it is being redesigned so is on hold until the blueprints are ready, or, Goldman has decided not to expand, or it just isn't going to happen. But the reality is, it is not currently "going up". It makes me sad to say it, but if it IS under construction, it's the strangest way of constructing a tower I've ever seen. Nothing...and I mean 'NOTHING" about this construction site says to me that this building is under construction.
Mr. Dallas...Let me tell you a show you a little something that will spare me the thousand words. That be the 111 with some fine looking eye candy getting their construction on ;-)

Last edited by EPdesign; Jan 23, 2015 at 3:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #482  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:59 AM
SLC Ute SLC Ute is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Thanks for the update.

One person, on the SLC thread, had speculated about why the steel might not be rising yet, was because it is being supported from the top. I just want to clarify a couple of things on that.

The steel above the EPAC will be supported from the top of the building, but the remainder of the building will be built just like any other highrise with steel rising from the ground and being supported from the ground and anchored to the core. The only difference is that the northern portion of the building will be stronger and designed differently than a normal building with the same shape, because the southern section will rely on the northern section to carry the weight of it.
Future Mayor,

First things first.... Thanks for all of the contributions you provide to these forums. Your insight is truly extraordinary!!!

Secondly; as the speculator you mentioned above, I am curious what the actual design will be? Your clarifications make complete sense and would be a practical construction method. However, the images released today do not seem to indicated there is any ground level steel to support either the North or South sides of the building.

I was hoping to get a final answer on this.

Do you (OR ANYONE) have access to the design specs, a news article, know someone that knows someone, or any other source that can put this to rest for me?! Please and Thanks!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #483  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:42 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post


I like how it looks next to the Regent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #484  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:48 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108


How we just need one of the photoshopers on here to play around with this image and add The Cascade, 151 and Tower 8. Future looks bright for 100 south.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #485  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:22 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
While it is extremely basic, I like how sharp it is. During the day, we might get some nice sky and cloud reflections. I hope it is has that blue glow at night. I've always liked the Wells Fargo's glow in the skyline.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #486  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:05 AM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
How we just need one of the photoshopers on here to play around with this image and add The Cascade, 151 and Tower 8. Future looks bright for 100 south.

Last edited by Old&New; Jan 23, 2015 at 5:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #487  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:07 AM
BoiseAirport BoiseAirport is offline
Dare Mighty Things
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,225
Congrats, SLC! Just my opinion, but this tower looks way better without the original accordion effect. Looks very sharp and clean the way it interacts with its surroundings.
__________________
BOISETOPIA is hibernating
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #488  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:43 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Nice. Thank you. Salt Lake looks like a much bigger city with those new towers added.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #489  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 6:26 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Ute View Post
Future Mayor,

First things first.... Thanks for all of the contributions you provide to these forums. Your insight is truly extraordinary!!!

Secondly; as the speculator you mentioned above, I am curious what the actual design will be? Your clarifications make complete sense and would be a practical construction method. However, the images released today do not seem to indicated there is any ground level steel to support either the North or South sides of the building.

I was hoping to get a final answer on this.

Do you (OR ANYONE) have access to the design specs, a news article, know someone that knows someone, or any other source that can put this to rest for me?! Please and Thanks!
My clarification appears to have been speculation, and either I read the initial reports on the building incorrectly and made assumptions or they have changed. Either way, I was incorrect in my statement that just the south would be supported by the roof. It is obvious by the most recent renderings that the entire building appears be supported from the top.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #490  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 6:32 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
This will be a cool lobby view when the Cascade rises, and even more so if ZIONS bank ever decides to build a new headquarters across the street.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #491  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 10:08 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,634
The tower is decent infill but it really reinforces how SLC's development can be a bit overly conservative and boxy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #492  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 10:27 PM
SLC Ute SLC Ute is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
My clarification appears to have been speculation, and either I read the initial reports on the building incorrectly and made assumptions or they have changed. Either way, I was incorrect in my statement that just the south would be supported by the roof. It is obvious by the most recent renderings that the entire building appears be supported from the top.
Future Mayor,

No worries! and Thanks because my first post was definitely pure speculation. I have no sources, and was simply making an assumption based on my observations.

Keep up the good work!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #493  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 10:38 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
The tower is decent infill but it really reinforces how SLC's development can be a bit overly conservative and boxy.
You are so negative and never have anything good or positive to say.

Does anyone know what is going to go in between the performing arts center and the neumont building?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #494  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 10:52 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
You are so negative and never have anything good or positive to say.

Does anyone know what is going to go in between the performing arts center and the neumont building?
Did I hurt your sensibilities?

I like it - I'm not in love with it. I wish SLC would develop more towers that aren't boxy. I'm sure I am not the only one who thinks this. If you can't handle my differing opinion, maybe it's you who should gtfo - as you say.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #495  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 11:18 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Did I hurt your sensibilities?

I like it - I'm not in love with it. I wish SLC would develop more towers that aren't boxy. I'm sure I am not the only one who thinks this. If you can't handle my differing opinion, maybe it's you who should gtfo - as you say.
Ok I agreed for awhile with LumberJack but the finger pointing is getting annoying, IMHO. I do wish something more daring and emotional was built. This building is only an engineer's fantasy; nothing else is interesting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #496  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 11:24 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,634
I'm fine with it - as I've said before. But I always feel, whenever a tower is developed that doesn't push the boundaries, even a bit, it's a lost opportunity.

While the Wells Fargo Center is a box, it's a box that at least shakes things up a bit and because of it, I find it still one of the more enjoyable towers in the city. I just wish there was more diversity and less of [] all around.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #497  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 11:25 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,634
One Utah Center (Chase, whatever), is another tower I like. It felt like the city was on the cusp of moving away from the boxes that dominated the skyline in the 1960s, 70s and 80s with that development - and then it didn't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #498  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 11:44 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I'm fine with it - as I've said before. But I always feel, whenever a tower is developed that doesn't push the boundaries, even a bit, it's a lost opportunity.

While the Wells Fargo Center is a box, it's a box that at least shakes things up a bit and because of it, I find it still one of the more enjoyable towers in the city. I just wish there was more diversity and less of [] all around.
Your "differing opinion" is just an excuse for your true negativity. You can never say anything positive or good. Your fourn name should be, Negative Nancy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #499  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 12:16 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
Your "differing opinion" is just an excuse for your true negativity. You can never say anything positive or good. Your fourn name should be, Negative Nancy.
Oh my god now you're the annoying one... Please just try and stay on topic
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #500  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 12:49 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Get out the popcorn.......here we go again.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:26 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.