HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1561  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 7:22 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
Will the Mormon church office building ever get a new skin? I was thinking that it might be the most our dated sky rise in Salt Lake now.
I personally like a mix of architectural eras in a skyline. It shows the city's growth pattern, and tells a story. It also adds variety.

Honestly, I prefer the neon red lights and california coast look of the old Shilo Inn. It added color and light to the night-time skyline.
     
     
  #1562  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 7:34 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post

Also Comrade, and Stenar, you two are so negative and such complainers. Lighten up. Of course you'll probably just say that we don't understand what a true critic is or if we lived in New York you would be basing things off facts, or blah blah blah. By saying those things you are just making up excuses and trying to cover up your true negativity. It's fine to have a strong opposing opinion but when all you do is rip, complain, bash, curse, and hate on everything and on a culture, it becomes extremely old and tiring. Nobody here is impressed with your "different point of view" because all it is is negativity and hate.
LOL. I like this guy.

As for the Church Office Building, I for one am happy with how it looks. We don't have that many 1970's era skyscrapers and it's even more so unique with the "old world Trade Center design". Who knows, maybe in 30 years the COB will be just as much of a classic as our 1911-1930 era buildings are to us today.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Jan 12, 2015 at 9:23 PM.
     
     
  #1563  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 9:12 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I personally like a mix of architectural eras in a skyline. It shows the city's growth pattern, and tells a story. It also adds variety.

Honestly, I prefer the neon red lights and california coast look of the old Shilo Inn. It added color and light to the night-time skyline.
I think there's something to that. And I prefer that over the style of pink granite and dark glass that's so many of our other buildings. I've said this before, but as a longtime west bench resident, my best, fondest views of the skyline are of the city nestled in the mountains. The red neon lights of the Shilo always gave me a sense of scale. The Walker Center does that too, but I kind of miss the Shilo.

#UnpopularOpinion
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #1564  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 9:15 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
LOL. I like this guy.
I think I do too.

But I also think both Stenar and Comrade bring a lot more to the table than just negativity. They aren't all negative, all the time, and they have a love for Salt Lake City and the big picture. Sometimes that comes across as negative; I see it as pushing for positive change. Because I'm a doormat, I would phrase it like "guys, there's a better way to do this," and then say what I think would be better. They're blunt with their opinions, and that can offend some people. I think it's refreshing.

Until it's turned against me, then I passive-aggressively call them dicks and cry and don't come back to the forum for months.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #1565  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 10:57 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I think I do too.

But I also think both Stenar and Comrade bring a lot more to the table than just negativity. They aren't all negative, all the time, and they have a love for Salt Lake City and the big picture. Sometimes that comes across as negative; I see it as pushing for positive change. Because I'm a doormat, I would phrase it like "guys, there's a better way to do this," and then say what I think would be better. They're blunt with their opinions, and that can offend some people. I think it's refreshing.

Until it's turned against me, then I passive-aggressively call them dicks and cry and don't come back to the forum for months.

Well, I've never turned against you because I generally agree with most of your opinions and I agree with this^

I think we need more people who want something better. We have too many Pollyanna types who think everything is great in Salt Lake.
     
     
  #1566  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 11:31 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Well, I've never turned against you because I generally agree with most of your opinions and I agree with this^

I think we need more people who want something better. We have too many Pollyanna types who think everything is great in Salt Lake.
It's called being and staying positive and looking for the good around you. No city is perfect and each need improvements in desired areas but to me there is too much good and positives in SLC right now to be down and negative. I think we can all agree that we want something built where that Carl's Jr is located though, haha.

Ps, everything is great in Salt Lake, that is why it's called the Great Salt Lake. And let's go Ducks, beat the Bucks!!
     
     
  #1567  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 11:50 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I think I do too.

But I also think both Stenar and Comrade bring a lot more to the table than just negativity. They aren't all negative, all the time, and they have a love for Salt Lake City and the big picture. Sometimes that comes across as negative; I see it as pushing for positive change. Because I'm a doormat, I would phrase it like "guys, there's a better way to do this," and then say what I think would be better. They're blunt with their opinions, and that can offend some people. I think it's refreshing.
The problem is they both come across as two very bitter, unhappy, glass half empty, anti everything that isn't Salt Lake City commenting in a troll like manner 98% of the time with negative after negative posts that can drain the life out of this forum. Yes everybody is entitle to their opinions, but even those opinions seem to be soooooo far unrealistic that I don't think they will ever come across a development they truly love here in a smaller market like Salt Lake that they would see else where say.....New York, LA or Boston. Every time something gets posted on here over the years that is getting develop somewhere outside of Salt Lake that ( I think most of us on here feels is refreshing to see other cities at the very least try to be more urban ) we get comments about how negative the development will be to that area and how it doesn't belong there and should ONLY be in downtown Salt Lake. And then when there's ANY kind of development that does happen downtown it then becomes "god awful", "ugly", "something a kindergarten came up with" and that it "belongs in the suburbs" ect.
I think Ken said it best on here. "I don't see you investing and coming out with your own development" or something to those lines.
And for the new guy to only be on here for a short period of time and has already notice those two negativity says a lot.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1568  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 12:06 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
I usually don't say things being built outside SLC ought to be built in SLC. That's mostly other people besides Comrade and me who have frequently said those things. I would love to see more things being in SLC, though, but I don't generally comment on that.

And I have commented on many things I like. I like EPAC, I really like 151. 111 will be pretty good, not great. I like City Creek, mostly.

I love it when suburban areas are trying to develop more urban like areas, but very few are and most of the projects in the suburbs are very far from it. I am, however, skeptical of anything happening in Sandy specifically.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
The problem is they both come across as two very bitter, unhappy, glass half empty, anti everything that isn't Salt Lake City commenting in a troll like manner 98% of the time with negative after negative posts that can drain the life out of this forum. Yes everybody is entitle to their opinions, but even those opinions seem to be soooooo far unrealistic that I don't think they will ever come across a development they truly love here in a smaller market like Salt Lake that they would see else where say.....New York, LA or Boston. Every time something gets posted on here over the years that is getting develop somewhere outside of Salt Lake that ( I think most of us on here feels is refreshing to see other cities at the very least try to be more urban ) we get comments about how negative the development will be to that area and how it doesn't belong there and should ONLY be in downtown Salt Lake. And then when there's ANY kind of development that does happen downtown it then becomes "god awful", "ugly", "something a kindergarten came up with" and that it "belongs in the suburbs" ect.
I think Ken said it best on here. "I don't see you investing and coming out with your own development" or something to those lines.
And for the new guy to only be on here for a short period of time and has already notice those two negativity says a lot.
     
     
  #1569  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 12:10 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
It's called being and staying positive and looking for the good around you. No city is perfect and each need improvements in desired areas but to me there is too much good and positives in SLC right now to be down and negative. I think we can all agree that we want something built where that Carl's Jr is located though, haha.

Ps, everything is great in Salt Lake, that is why it's called the Great Salt Lake. And let's go Ducks, beat the Bucks!!
I met with an old friend from high school last week who was visiting town and he said that Salt Lake City's infrastructure looked like garbage. Everything's so tacky and cheap. I don't agree with him entirely. I don't think it's all garbage, but a lot of the new developments are 🞵🞵🞵🞵. Comrade and I aren't the only ones who say negative things about developments, either.

I'm a huge booster of SLC and no one loves it or thinks it's great more than me. Because it's great, I want us to have more good and great developments. We shouldn't settle for whatever 🞵🞵🞵🞵 gets handed to us.
     
     
  #1570  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 12:12 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
Will the Mormon church office building ever get a new skin? I was thinking that it might be the most our dated sky rise in Salt Lake now.
As I've said before, I think a redesign of the base would help the most. I don't really mind the dullness of the tower, I've gotten used to it and grown to love it. If something was done to base, similar to what was done to the Key Bank tower's base for CCC, everyone (including myself) would have a better attitude towards it.

Perhaps if glass replaced the "map walls", and large three dimensional art could be seen in the lobby from the outside. Maybe like at Avravanel Hall.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #1571  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 12:15 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
Will the Mormon church office building ever get a new skin? I was thinking that it might be the most our dated sky rise in Salt Lake now.

Also Comrade, and Stenar, you two are so negative and such complainers. Lighten up. Of course you'll probably just say that we don't understand what a true critic is or if we lived in New York you would be basing things off facts, or blah blah blah. By saying those things you are just making up excuses and trying to cover up your true negativity. It's fine to have a strong opposing opinion but when all you do is rip, complain, bash, curse, and hate on everything and on a culture, it becomes extremely old and tiring. Nobody here is impressed with your "different point of view" because all it is is negativity and hate.

I've been thinking the church ought to reskin the COB for ages. I've heard from people who work there that the church has considered it.
     
     
  #1572  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 12:15 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
The problem is they both come across as two very bitter, unhappy, glass half empty, anti everything that isn't Salt Lake City commenting in a troll like manner 98% of the time with negative after negative posts that can drain the life out of this forum. Yes everybody is entitle to their opinions, but even those opinions seem to be soooooo far unrealistic that I don't think they will ever come across a development they truly love here in a smaller market like Salt Lake that they would see else where say.....New York, LA or Boston. Every time something gets posted on here over the years that is getting develop somewhere outside of Salt Lake that ( I think most of us on here feels is refreshing to see other cities at the very least try to be more urban ) we get comments about how negative the development will be to that area and how it doesn't belong there and should ONLY be in downtown Salt Lake. And then when there's ANY kind of development that does happen downtown it then becomes "god awful", "ugly", "something a kindergarten came up with" and that it "belongs in the suburbs" ect.
I think Ken said it best on here. "I don't see you investing and coming out with your own development" or something to those lines.
And for the new guy to only be on here for a short period of time and has already notice those two negativity says a lot.
I very often agree with both Stenar and Comrade. However, I'm less blunt and enjoy different aesthetics.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #1573  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 12:16 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
As I've said before, I think a redesign of the base would help the most. I don't really mind the dullness of the tower, I've gotten used to it and grown to love it. If something was done to base, similar to what was done to the Key Bank tower's base for CCC, everyone (including myself) would have a better attitude towards it.

Perhaps if glass replaced the "map walls", and large three dimensional art could be seen in the lobby from the outside. Maybe like at Avravanel Hall.
I like this idea. SEE, not all negative. I frequently comment positively on things I like.
     
     
  #1574  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 2:16 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I too love to see businesses that grew up in the burbs moving into downtown. That is one less chunk of available office space in downtown which means we are one step closer to 151, and tower 8.

I appreciate some of the negative opinions, I think many of us bring the needed dose of insight from a different perspective. Calling 🞵🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵 helps us raise the bar in our vision and the overall future of Salt Lake City. There is a ton of good things happening in Salt Lake City, some of it is first class some of it isn't. But I ultimately see Salt Lake City as a growing city, and I appreciate all opinions regarding development and architecture.

Even though we disagree about Comrade and Stenar, I welcome you to the forum and look forward to your opinions on development.
     
     
  #1575  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 4:20 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
I think it is awesome having all different opinions and points of view, thats how new ideas and ways of looking at something can help make a better city. There is a lot of good happening in Salt Lake and things that are crappy and this is the place that we all get to share our opinions and points of view. I usually dont post too much but I'm always on here and I love to see a diversity of ideas and opinions. I think all you guys are awesome!
     
     
  #1576  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 6:21 AM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,146
I have never seen Stenar or Comrade's opinions as being overly negative. I don't think we should shun every opinion that makes Salt Lake City look less than perfect.
They are not trolling, they are not here to insult anyone, overall they are here to add to and not tear down a constructive discussion.
I may not agree with everything they post but that doesn't mean their opinions are not worth noting. For example, there are both positive and negative aspects about the Shilo Inn/Holiday Inn Express remodel.
     
     
  #1577  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 6:46 AM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
What is going on with the giant parking lot just south of the court house? Who owns it and is there any development plans for that sight?
     
     
  #1578  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 6:58 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
What is going on with the giant parking lot just south of the court house? Who owns it and is there any development plans for that sight?
I think the DA was going to build there but not anymore. Someone will buy it and build something else, a full city block has to be pretty expensive so expect something nice.
     
     
  #1579  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 7:01 AM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434

Okay, group hug ovet. Back to the news.
I had no idea a city could have this much power over ordinary homeowners:

Salt Lake City wants to designate 5 areas as local historical districts

Link
     
     
  #1580  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 2:58 PM
goldcntry's Avatar
goldcntry goldcntry is offline
West bench livin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daybreak (So. Jordan), UT
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
Perhaps if glass replaced the "map walls", and large three dimensional art could be seen in the lobby from the outside. Maybe like at Avravanel Hall.
As one who works from that office 1-2 times a week, I agree that a re-do of the base would be nice. Just replacing the claustrophobic non-powered merry-go-round doors would be a huge improvement in my op. Friends of mine in the facilities department have lamented to me that due to the structure of the building, a complete re-clad would cost almost as much as a new building; then again, I have no way to validate or verify those sentiments. Internally, I can validate that the non-public floors are currently being refreshed and updated, though I haven't seen one yet to compare to the floor I'm usually on... which is in desperate need of a make-over!
__________________
Giant Meteor 2024
Just end it all already.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.