HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1521  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 5:56 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
Hi everyone I am new here. Looking forward to contributing to the Salt Lake forum. Also looking forward to hear everyone else's opinion. Have followed the forum for a little while now. You'll mostly see me here and the Denver and the Portland forums. Cheers!
Hey, do you know anyone who wants to build a 46 story Chrysler building look-alike on the old Zephyr site?
If not, welcome anyway.
     
     
  #1522  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 6:27 PM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
Hey, do you know anyone who wants to build a 46 story Chrysler building look-alike on the old Zephyr site?
If not, welcome anyway.
I want to build one, but I'd prefer it was 56 stories because of the decreased elevation. Would you like to give me the money?
     
     
  #1523  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 6:45 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
I saw that Boston is the US representative city for the 2024 summer Olympics. If Boston is chosen to host the Olympics, this means that the USOC will not make a U.S. bid for the 2026 winter games. This affects both Denver and Salt Lake. They both have said they plan on running for the U.S. host spot. Funny thing is that a lot of boston residents are not too happy because of the potential crowds, traffic, etc. that come with hosting the Olympics. I personally think it's worth it for two weeks to host a world event. I think Boston would be a great city.
     
     
  #1524  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 7:20 PM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
I saw that Boston is the US representative city for the 2024 summer Olympics. If Boston is chosen to host the Olympics, this means that the USOC will not make a U.S. bid for the 2026 winter games. This affects both Denver and Salt Lake. They both have said they plan on running for the U.S. host spot. Funny thing is that a lot of boston residents are not too happy because of the potential crowds, traffic, etc. that come with hosting the Olympics. I personally think it's worth it for two weeks to host a world event. I think Boston would be a great city.
Except out of the 3 cities that wanted the event boston was the only one with an active protest group and the residents are being polled below 50 percent approval. Boston is still recovering from the big dig and will go through another one. Then there is the issue of the 60-80 thousand seat stadium that they will have to build that will cost about a billion dollars (that is no joke either). The stadium will have to be used by some one and that will not be the patriots. They will need a new swimming center, cycling, rowing and that's the short list. Of the three cities they chose from this was the worst one they could go with. Even if they get it, there's going to be a lot of waste for this city. LA was the best option then San Francisco. Boston with all it's transportation issues and the lack of support is a bad bet.

So this could be great for salt lakes bid for the 2026 winter games!
__________________
"Oh, now we see the violence in the system"
     
     
  #1525  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 8:18 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
Except out of the 3 cities that wanted the event boston was the only one with an active protest group and the residents are being polled below 50 percent approval. Boston is still recovering from the big dig and will go through another one. Then there is the issue of the 60-80 thousand seat stadium that they will have to build that will cost about a billion dollars (that is no joke either). The stadium will have to be used by some one and that will not be the patriots. They will need a new swimming center, cycling, rowing and that's the short list. Of the three cities they chose from this was the worst one they could go with. Even if they get it, there's going to be a lot of waste for this city. LA was the best option then San Francisco. Boston with all it's transportation issues and the lack of support is a bad bet.

So this could be great for salt lakes bid for the 2026 winter games!
I thought San francisco would have been the best option followed by Boston, LA, then DC. But the more I think about it, Boston makes the most since.

On another note, what is taking so long for 111 to rise? Are they simply trying to get the portion of the theatre that overlaps 111 complete so there is more steel support for when 111 does start rising? It's starting to remind me of Park Avenue West Tower in Portland. It's now finally rising after being put on hold for about six years. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited by LumberJack; Jan 9, 2015 at 8:57 PM.
     
     
  #1526  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 8:46 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
A friend said that the plastic wrap is off of the old Shilo Inn/new Holiday Inn Express, and it's a "horrible olive green color"...I haven't been down there yet to check it out myself. I'm bracing myself.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #1527  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 8:54 PM
linguisize's Avatar
linguisize linguisize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
A friend said that the plastic wrap is off of the old Shilo Inn/new Holiday Inn Express, and it's a "horrible olive green color"...I haven't been down there yet to check it out myself. I'm bracing myself.
Oh God... Somebody please take a picture! That sounds worse than the original horrible rust orange idea.
     
     
  #1528  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 8:54 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
A friend said that the plastic wrap is off of the old Shilo Inn/new Holiday Inn Express, and it's a "horrible olive green color"...I haven't been down there yet to check it out myself. I'm bracing myself.
I saw it yesterday. It's not bad at all!

Everyone needs to be more positive and more open minded on these forums. I understand that things are open for debate and people have their own opinions, but hearing people bash the developer of AIR and how much people don't like certain things and how they just rip them and are so negative gets extremely old. Cheer up everyone. Salt Lake along with Austin, New York, Portland, Seattle, have the most development. So be happy things are being built and proposals are showing up.
     
     
  #1529  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 8:57 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
A friend said that the plastic wrap is off of the old Shilo Inn/new Holiday Inn Express, and it's a "horrible olive green color"...I haven't been down there yet to check it out myself. I'm bracing myself.
Naturally.
It's an inept work in progress of a haunted house.
Or Inn.
I'm surprised they don't have an Elvis impersonator singing in some lounge there.
Where's Wayne Newton?
     
     
  #1530  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 8:58 PM
linguisize's Avatar
linguisize linguisize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
I saw it yesterday. It's not bad at all!

Everyone needs to be more positive and more open minded on these forums. I understand that things are open for debate and people have their own opinions, but hearing people bash the developer of AIR and how much people don't like certain things and how they just rip them and are so negative gets extremely old. Cheer up everyone. Salt Lake along with Austin, New York, Portland, Seattle, have the most development. So be happy things are being built and proposals are showing up.
I completely agree. Especially in regards to Ken coming around with the Air project; but that original Shilo remake design was just... horrendous. Hopefully it's not as bad as you say then.
     
     
  #1531  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 9:12 PM
SLC Ute SLC Ute is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 32
My understanding about 111 Main (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that the building will actually be supported from the roof. In other words, structurally speaking they will be 2 separate buildings. I would assume this is so that they didn't have to engineer the EPAC to be a Theater AND the base for a skyscraper.

To me, this would make sense why we are yet to see any steel structure growing outside the core, even though the steel at EPAC appears to be topping out. And would also explain the reason for the slow pace of the core, as it needs to be strong enough to support a majority of the weight of the building.

Just my 2 cents though, and I may very well be wrong. However, if I am correct... I think we got us 1 AWESOME!!!! Tower coming to SLC's Skyline.
     
     
  #1532  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 9:21 PM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Ute View Post
My understanding about 111 Main (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that the building will actually be supported from the roof. In other words, structurally speaking they will be 2 separate buildings. I would assume this is so that they didn't have to engineer the EPAC to be a Theater AND the base for a skyscraper.

To me, this would make sense why we are yet to see any steel structure growing outside the core, even though the steel at EPAC appears to be topping out. And would also explain the reason for the slow pace of the core, as it needs to be strong enough to support a majority of the weight of the building.

Just my 2 cents though, and I may very well be wrong. However, if I am correct... I think we got us 1 AWESOME!!!! Tower coming to SLC's Skyline.
I think you are right. When they were still in the planning stages, this was how it was described to me by my city councilman.
     
     
  #1533  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 9:30 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
I saw it yesterday. It's not bad at all!

Everyone needs to be more positive and more open minded on these forums. I understand that things are open for debate and people have their own opinions, but hearing people bash the developer of AIR and how much people don't like certain things and how they just rip them and are so negative gets extremely old. Cheer up everyone. Salt Lake along with Austin, New York, Portland, Seattle, have the most development. So be happy things are being built and proposals are showing up.
agreed.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1534  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 2:13 AM
CofIKid CofIKid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 214
I will bump my photos from the other day I will try to get better ones this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofIKid View Post
The scaffolding and sheathing is coming down from the Shilo Inn. Sorry the Pictures aren't the best. I was driving by this afternoon.




Last edited by CofIKid; Jan 10, 2015 at 9:10 PM. Reason: Added another photo
     
     
  #1535  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 6:53 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
The shilo Inn basically went from yucco to stucco. :/
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #1536  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 7:18 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
New report lists Salt Lake as the sixth best-performing city for 2014.
     
     
  #1537  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 7:52 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
The shilo Inn basically went from yucco to stucco. :/
I would rather have stucco than yucco.

If you know anything about Holiday Inn Express' then you really shouldn't have high expectations when it comes to their designs and looks. They are known for buying older or struggling hotel buildings or simply run down type buildings and quickly giving them a facelift and remodel so they can open soon as possible. I know first hand that they have done this with some of their hotels in San Antonio, Albuquerque, San Diego, and Kansas City. It's just the way they do business.
     
     
  #1538  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 8:04 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
I would rather have stucco than yucco.

If you know anything about Holiday Inn Express' then you really shouldn't have high expectations when it comes to their designs and looks. They are known for buying older or struggling hotel buildings or simply run down type buildings and quickly giving them a facelift and remodel so they can open soon as possible. I know first hand that they have done this with some of their hotels in San Antonio, Albuquerque, San Diego, and Kansas City. It's just the way they do business.
as much as I don't Like stucco... I agree its an improvement. I bet 72% of my post on this forum are about how much I disliked the shell Inn.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #1539  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 8:15 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
As bad or cheap as the hotel may look, those hotel rooms are badly needed.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1540  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 8:23 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Photo update of the Hope Lodge. I am really grateful for the street presence on this project, it really adds density to 100 South.
The ugliness of that building doesn't give me any hope. I'd be depressed to go there.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:30 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.