HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2221  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 7:41 PM
tuffyy's Avatar
tuffyy tuffyy is offline
Sand kicking airport guy.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I suspect for most Edmontonians it would easier to go through YVR, but depending on the flight times or if someone wants to drive to Calgary it might be hard to 'Say No to Calgary' ;-)
On days of operation I think the YYC flight will be attractive to YEG passengers.

I don't imagine this flight will start off daily, my guess is 2-3 times per week.
     
     
  #2222  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 8:10 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Follow on post to my twitter conversation with Bigtime.

Conversation started about BA plan to turn the YYC flight into a tag end LHR-YYC-YEG or triangle of the the three cites. For profitability reasons most airlines have discontinued tag end or triangle flights unless they also have fifth or six freedom rights to carry local traffic. With BA considering a tag end this means that YYC-LHR is on the bubble, corrective action is being contemplated to address profitability concerns. This is another datapoint that if something is to break on the Western Canada TATL market (FI into YEG, AC upguage FRA and LHR, KLM into YEG, KLM upguage YYC, AF into YVR, LH into YVR from MUC) it will be the exit of BA YYC-LHR.

Another interesting aspect of the BA tag end is that BA must be getting hosed by WS on the interline I prorates. Prorates are the charges airline A pays airline B to carry single ticketed pax from airline A. Standard interline agreement has ticket price split by proration of mileage of each segment to total mileage on the ticket routing. However I have heard that WS interline requirements have nonstandard prorate calculation. Basically WS demands more money from their inbound codeshare partners. If BA does a tag end YYC-YEG, it might reveal that WS prorate charges are more expensive than if BA flew their own aircraft.

A third interesting Tid bit came out during the presser annoucing AF to YVR and KLM to YEG. The line that caught my attention was something to the effect of "KLM will grow their YYC route together with their Westjet partners". Pure speculative on my part, but I could see summer 2016 playing out with WS international flying YYC-AMS daily in joint venture with second daily flight in KLM metal. Each airline would provide traffic feed beyond their respective hubs. This could also include WS international going onto YVR-AMS and YEG-AMS in coordination with KLM. Seems far fetched but if I was WS, one of the first things I would do prior to initiating international services, is to jack up the prorate charges for Airlines I intended to move out of the market. So if WS is looking to take BA YYC traffic, jacking up the prorates is the delcaration of war.
     
     
  #2223  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 8:18 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffyy View Post
I don't imagine this flight will start off daily, my guess is 2-3 times per week.
I'm looking for YUL-PEK 4x on AC 788 and YYC-PEK 3x on AC 788, all flights with CA codeshare and CA providing the coveted slot pair. This type of flight routing would require 2 aircraft from one airline, so I doubt that AC and CA would split the two routes. Also I don't think CA is all that interested in YYC and CA also recognizes they don't have the language skills or market presence for YUL.
     
     
  #2224  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 10:42 PM
Acey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wouldn't mind a BA tag on to YEG. It's damn boring up here.

Seriously though, I hope they find a way to make it work.
     
     
  #2225  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 12:16 AM
YYCspotter YYCspotter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 286
Couple of questions:

If BA eventually pulls the plug on YYC what are the chances that AC goes double daily 787 to LHR during the peak summer months?

Also I saw that LH is launching TPA with their higher density A343 (less J, more Y). The configuration of these a/c is perfect for the YYC market, however now that AC is using 77W i'm not sure if we will see the return of double daily FRA flights. How likely is it that this could happen?
     
     
  #2226  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 12:35 AM
tuffyy's Avatar
tuffyy tuffyy is offline
Sand kicking airport guy.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Posts: 1,750
I'm not sure that will happen.

Not that I'm putting down YYC at all but capacity to Europe seems to be right about where it is at the moment. As can be seen by the so so performance by BA for loads with LHR more capacity to Frankfurt may be detrimental since it hasn't been that long since LH pulled it's flights.

With TS now out of the western Canada-Germany charter market I could see Condor increase capacity for that sector but AC operating the 77W wouldn't bode well with a LH 340, maybe a 332 but that might be pushing it.
     
     
  #2227  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 5:26 AM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCspotter View Post
Couple of questions:

If BA eventually pulls the plug on YYC what are the chances that AC goes double daily 787 to LHR during the peak summer months?

Also I saw that LH is launching TPA with their higher density A343 (less J, more Y). The configuration of these a/c is perfect for the YYC market, however now that AC is using 77W i'm not sure if we will see the return of double daily FRA flights. How likely is it that this could happen?
Zero chance of double daily YYC-LHR on AC. They gave back the slots to UA. The second daily flight was provided by UA slot sublease. UA is now using the slot. Finally The AC double daily was 333 for 270 seats and 763 for 212 seats. The seat delta comparing double daily vs single 77W is about 25 business class seats.

Also there is no more commercially viable slots at FRA, so the chance of double daily FRA minimal. Besides I would much rather prefer summer flight to MUC, similar to YVR traffic pattern.

For the next major TATL destination, I am looking to IST, that is Istanbul for the IATA airport code challenged. Turkish would give us Mideast connections that we won't get from ME3 cause there is zero chance of them coming to town.
     
     
  #2228  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 6:05 AM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Argh, the spotter in me wants to see an Air China tail though.
Have you seen the China Air livery??? Makes euro white look exciting,

But for me, I mostly get excited about the megahub airport shots with row upon row for same airplane livery. 50 airplanes same livery screams world destination status.
     
     
  #2229  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 7:09 AM
holhm22 holhm22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Have you seen the China Air livery??? Makes euro white look exciting,

But for me, I mostly get excited about the megahub airport shots with row upon row for same airplane livery. 50 airplanes same livery screams world destination status.
China Air(lines) and Air China are completely different. Don't mix them up. Personally, I find Air China's livery boring.
     
     
  #2230  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 2:35 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Have you seen the China Air livery??? Makes euro white look exciting,

But for me, I mostly get excited about the megahub airport shots with row upon row for same airplane livery. 50 airplanes same livery screams world destination status.
Yeah I have, the odd time they have diverted here when the Wx at YVR was 🞵🞵🞵🞵. I would just be nice from the spotters perspective to have another airline around versus AC and WS.


Air China A330-243 (B-6113)
by BigtimeYYC, on Flickr

I think it's China Eastern that has that new HORRIBLE almost all white livery.

Last edited by Bigtime; Nov 15, 2014 at 3:29 PM.
     
     
  #2231  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 4:05 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by holhm22 View Post
China Air(lines) and Air China are completely different. Don't mix them up. Personally, I find Air China's livery boring.
Air China's IATA code is CA, that is where my confusion originates. Apologies if I offended.
     
     
  #2232  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 12:55 AM
tuffyy's Avatar
tuffyy tuffyy is offline
Sand kicking airport guy.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Posts: 1,750
Chinese carriers are easily confused, Air China, China Airlines, China -----! The list goes on to cover every direction the country has and some...
     
     
  #2233  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:43 AM
thegx thegx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 320
^Except that China Airlines isn't a Chinese airline
     
     
  #2234  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 5:16 AM
VIce VIce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegx View Post
^Except that China Airlines isn't a Chinese airline
That Chinese, anyway.
     
     
  #2235  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 5:21 AM
holhm22 holhm22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Air China's IATA code is CA, that is where my confusion originates. Apologies if I offended.
Nope, not offended at all, I just wanted to advise you. Yes, it is pretty confusing that it's CA since Air Canada took AC.
     
     
  #2236  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 6:10 AM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by holhm22 View Post
Nope, not offended at all, I just wanted to advise you. Yes, it is pretty confusing that it's CA since Air Canada took AC.
A bit of history why Air China is "CA."

The origin of Air China is the Civil Aviation Administration of China or CAAC for short. When CAAC operated as an airline as it did when it first started flying to YVR in the 1980s its airline code was CA. It was in 1987 when the CAAC split into six different airlines. Air China inherited the code CA when this occurred and voila...

Air China, China Eastern and China Southern are the only three airlines left from the original CAAC. The other three have merged one each into CA, MU and CZ.
     
     
  #2237  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 6:52 PM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,488
YYC Global Logistics Parks Update

     
     
  #2238  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 6:59 PM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,488
Delta to Increase YYC-SEA

According to this press release, DL will increase the frequency on YYC-SEA. No other details available yet.

http://news.delta.com/2014-11-19-Delta-a...ramento-Ketchikan-and-Sitka-from-Seattle
     
     
  #2239  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 7:12 PM
Bokimon's Avatar
Bokimon Bokimon is offline
Master and Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CALGARY
Posts: 1,887
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2108860

Live streaming right now of the An225 departure out of YYZ, currently holding on rwy23
Better be quick, you got 4 mins.
__________________
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram &
Bokimon- on Flickr for SSP local & Travel coverage.
Architecture, Aviation, Scenery, Skylines
     
     
  #2240  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 7:40 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
According to this press release, DL will increase the frequency on YYC-SEA. No other details available yet.

http://news.delta.com/2014-11-19-Delta-a...ramento-Ketchikan-and-Sitka-from-Seattle
That's excellent news, wonder how many more flights they'll give us each day?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:45 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.