HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1001  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 12:07 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
If Mayor Godfrey was still mayor of Ogden I would almost guarantee they end up in Ogden. The main ATK offices for Utah are in Clearfield right now, 90 people may not fit in that building depending on how much space is available in it. I don't know why ATK doesn't move their official head quarters to Utah anyway. Most of their facilities are here and the current CEO is a Utahn and 2 of the VP's are Utahan's and they are building a new Fabrication facility in Clearfield. Plus the munitions testing facility, rocket facility and now the Outdoor division are all here.
That's what I was thinking. Seems like Ogden, particularly Downtown would be the perfect fit.
     
     
  #1002  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 4:32 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,740


MOVE OVER, SILICON VALLEY: UTAH HAS ARRIVED

When it comes to staggering sums of venture capital raised in 2014, there's Utah, and then there's everyone else.

By Ilan Mochari

http://www.inc.com/ilan-mochari/silicon-valley-utah.html


Getty Images

...James has no qualms with how things turned out for Omniture. But leaving aside that successful outcome, he cannot quite forget how Omniture--when it was a startup--endured a needless three-year wait before receiving the venture capital it warranted. He knew he was hardly the only Utah entrepreneur who felt slighted by the Silicon Valley VC mainstream. So he founded Silicon Slopes, a promotional nonprofit to help with the branding of Utah's tech community, "as a way for us to highlight how much is really going on out here," he says.

"Ten years ago, [the Utah tech scene] wasn't getting any of the press," he adds. Despite the successes of Vivint, Qualtrics, Omniture, and others, James still believes there's a general ignorance about Utah's entrepreneurial ecosystem. To underscore this notion, James cites the list I included at the top of this article. "Even ranking Provo-Orem and Salt Lake as separate entities highlights that there's still a lacking in people's understanding," he says.

To his point, not one entrepreneur or investor I spoke to for this story even remotely considered Provo-Orem and Salt Lake City as distinct or separate metro areas. Unanimously, they asserted that Utah's entrepreneurial community was statewide. To wit, Orem and Salt Lake City are only 40 miles apart. Los Angeles and Long Beach, treated as one entity on the fundraising list, are about 25 miles apart.

James adds that had Utah's two metro areas been considered as one entity, it would've ranked sixth on the list, ahead of Seattle, Chicago, and Washington, D.C.

Taken from a national perspective, Salt Lake City, in particular, has emerged as what CBRE, the commercial real estate company, calls a "high-value" market...


.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 20, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
     
     
  #1003  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 10:27 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
One of the interior walls of the upac is getting built up pretty fast. Ill try and take a pic tomorrow during lunch. Also. There appears to be some residential units going up right off of 300 amd like 1500 s. I havent heard anything about them
     
     
  #1004  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:27 AM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
A couple of great projects coming soon according to the most recent RDA minutes:

New market, retail, and townhomes on 900 S and Jefferson next to Nobrow coffee: http://www.slcrda.com/meetingsmin/2014/BOD/111814/7ATerms153W900S.pdf

Adaptive reuse of the office building on the northwest corner of 200 South and 300 West: http://www.slcrda.com/meetingsmin/2014/BOD/111814/8ATelegraphExchange.pdf

Last edited by stayinginformed; Nov 18, 2014 at 4:05 AM. Reason: updated link
     
     
  #1005  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:54 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Thanks for the update, StayingInformed. I'm eager to know more about the development on 9th South... Both of those links are to the Telegraph Exchange project. Is there anything on the 9th South one?
     
     
  #1006  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:58 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
I think you linked the west gate project for both of them
     
     
  #1007  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:05 AM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I think you linked the west gate project for both of them
I just updated the other link, here it is again: http://www.slcrda.com/meetingsmin/2014/BOD/111814/7ATerms153W900S.pdf
     
     
  #1008  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 9:49 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Don't remember ever seeing this posted before on here, but this is from September 1st about an update on the Utah Theater plus a rendering of what it could look like.
http://nexusfocus.com/2014/09/01/salt-lake-county-film-center-is-moving-along/

This is new to me.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1009  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 1:03 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Don't remember ever seeing this posted before on here, but this is from September 1st about an update on the Utah Theater plus a rendering of what it could look like.
http://nexusfocus.com/2014/09/01/salt-lake-county-film-center-is-moving-along/

This is new to me.
Cool project, but I definitely don't support that hideous facade.
     
     
  #1010  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 2:54 PM
ryerop ryerop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Don't remember ever seeing this posted before on here, but this is from September 1st about an update on the Utah Theater plus a rendering of what it could look like.
http://nexusfocus.com/2014/09/01/salt-lake-county-film-center-is-moving-along/

This is new to me.
Personally I actually really like the facade of the proposed Utah Theater. It has the aspect of the old mixed with a modern feel. Downtown needs more out of the box thinking like this involved in the design of buildings, otherwise we get more boxes...but I think it would be a big help to improving that area of downtown. Now if only something would actually happen with the building.
     
     
  #1011  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:42 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
I just updated the other link, here it is again: http://www.slcrda.com/meetingsmin/2014/BOD/111814/7ATerms153W900S.pdf
Thanks! This looks cool, and would be a great boon to that little area, right off the trax stop. Love it.
     
     
  #1012  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:24 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
We have heard about the transformation of the Westgate Building into residential for a while and seen a few renderings, but I like these renderings the best so far. Also, reading through the RDA document it looks like they are splitting the area along 300 W into a separate parcel and requiring the developers to build a small building on the corner of 300 W and 200 S to engage the street. Am I reading this right?

Quote:
The Developer shall agree to build a new building on Parcel 2 that addresses and activates
the corner of 300 West and 200 South. The following terms shall also be required with
regard to the development of Parcel 2:
a. The building must have a minimum footprint of 20 feet by 40 feet.
     
     
  #1013  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:26 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
I wouldn't get too hung up on the design of the Utah Theater. This is just an architectural study, definitely not anything solid. I'm glad that they are talking about this theater, but at that price tag I don't see anything happening anytime soon.
     
     
  #1014  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:32 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
I sat on an airplane over the weekend next to a project manager for the company doing the steel work for 111 and UPAC. He confirmed that they are in fact building both buildings at the same time. He also said that we should start seeing steel rise on 111 within the next month and that all steel work should be done in 2015.

I know that the unique engineering of the building has been discussed on this board before but it was interesting hearing him talk about it. Because part of 111 hangs over the theater, the weight of the building is actually supported from the roof. As the steel rises there will be temporary supports in place and near the end of the process they will have to lift the whole building a couple inches to remove the supports and then let the building settle into place with the weight bearing on the roof structure. I'm sure there are some inaccuracies in the way I explained that, but it was pretty interesting listening to him explain it.
     
     
  #1015  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 6:57 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I too really like the proposal for Central 9th. One more piece to making that a very walkable neighborhood. Mix in the RDA project corridor area between 2nd W and Jefferson right at the trax cross walk and get something developed on the NW corner of 2nd and 9th and Central 9th will really start to flourish.

That is the nice thing about RDA owned property in slower performing areas, they actually have the option to give the parcel to the developer rather than the developer having to pay market rate. Resulting in projects actually getting done.




Just a quick reminder. I'm a Realtor and if you know of anyone looking to buy or sell a home I'd love to help them out. Don't worry, this reminder won't occur very often on my posts. Maybe once every six months.
     
     
  #1016  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:08 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132


I think the design looks great! Ya, but I agree with the sentiments of others on here. I don't think it will get the funding.
     
     
  #1017  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 1:10 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Post on the Alta Gateway. The Central 9th project will be really great, and they already have some tenants secured for the retail/restaurant component.
     
     
  #1018  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 1:13 AM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post


I think the design looks great! Ya, but I agree with the sentiments of others on here. I don't think it will get the funding.
I also like the design. The northern portion pays homage to history, while the southern is fresh. This section of Main is one of the few areas (another area being a block south) where old and new will be juxtiposed beautifully, and this design epitomizes that. I am all for it, so long as the interior is restored rather than gutted.

If only money weren't an issue. If only we were Pittsburgh and this was Carnegie's era.
     
     
  #1019  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 2:30 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
I just updated the other link, here it is again: http://www.slcrda.com/meetingsmin/2014/BOD/111814/7ATerms153W900S.pdf
Am I reading the images right that they have already rented out a couple of the spaces? And if I am reading it right, are they renting one out to Laziz? I am not a huge fan of their humus but I am crazy about a couple of their spreads. Its nice to see them do so well.
     
     
  #1020  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 5:37 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
I also like the design. The northern portion pays homage to history, while the southern is fresh. This section of Main is one of the few areas (another area being a block south) where old and new will be juxtiposed beautifully, and this design epitomizes that. I am all for it, so long as the interior is restored rather than gutted.

If only money weren't an issue. If only we were Pittsburgh and this was Carnegie's era.
The shape from afar looks too much like a spaceship from Battlestar Galactica to me. Zooming in, it doesn't look as bad as I first thought, but still not entirely a fan of it.

If they went with a design like this, I definitely wouldn't want that little modern bit to cover the historic bit.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:00 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.