HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2601  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 4:37 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
I think QC has a great skyline, it can't compete with the big boys, but it does have its charm.
     
     
  #2602  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 4:42 PM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
     
     
  #2603  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 4:42 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Do it! If they would only reclad or replace the 2 most prominent brutalist towers, that city would have hands down the best historic skyline in North America! Tourism to Quebec City would skyrocket.
What makes you say that? Maybe it is something I can't see but I don't view skyline-driven tourism as being that big a deal. At least not for this type of city. Nor do I see the presence of the brutalist Complexe G (Marie-Guyart) as a drain on Quebec City tourism.
     
     
  #2604  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 4:46 PM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What makes you say that? Maybe it is something I can't see but I don't view skyline-driven tourism as being that big a deal. At least not for this type of city. Nor do I see the presence of the brutalist Complexe G (Marie-Guyart) as a drain on Quebec City tourism.
In fact it might hurt tourism. I'm sure there's people visiting for Quebec City's prominent Brutalist architecture.
     
     
  #2605  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 4:54 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
In fact it might hurt tourism. I'm sure there's people visiting for Quebec City's prominent Brutalist architecture.
Could be. My sense is that overall it's mostly a wash.

Though as a child growing up in the Maritimes, Quebec City was the first big city we'd "hit" in our westward travels. I was always super impressed by the Complexe G building and also the cool architecture of the Concorde hotel with the revolving restaurant. We stayed and ate there a few times. Since Quebec City was and is a sprawling city, I was totally awed by the lights of the city going off in the distance, and how they hugged the edges of the St. Lawrence and Ile d'Orléans, and of course the classic view of the old city and the Château from the restaurant.
     
     
  #2606  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 5:16 PM
matt602's Avatar
matt602 matt602 is offline
Hammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
Looks almost identical to a Montreal shot that I saw awhile ago. Such similar cities. Will be even more so when we get some new tallest buildings and start intensifying the downtown.
     
     
  #2607  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 5:59 PM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
     
     
  #2608  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 5:59 PM
bikegypsy's Avatar
bikegypsy bikegypsy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 985
My top ten:

The first four I love because they are unique and don't seem to care about having a red sports car

Vancouver
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec City

This is number 5 simply because holy 🞵🞵🞵🞵

Toronto

Number 6, Another holy 🞵🞵🞵🞵 but less excited

Calgary

Because we need ten in a top ten

Winnipeg
Hamilton
Halifax
Edmonton
     
     
  #2609  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:12 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
In fact it might hurt tourism. I'm sure there's people visiting for Quebec City's prominent Brutalist architecture.
Glorious castles and concrete brutalist bunkers. QC has both in scores.

mensuel.ca
     
     
  #2610  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:14 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
So true.

I don't know how people can rate Hamilton's skyline so low sometimes. Montreal and Hamilton are like twins....


Hamilton Skyline by Jonathan R.S., on Flickr


Source
No doubt, the topography, foreground and background are very similar. But there is quite a difference between the office towers of Montreal and the apartment blocks of Hamilton.
     
     
  #2611  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:16 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Glorious castles and concrete brutalist bunkers. QC has both in scores.

mensuel.ca
In French, the nickname for the building that houses the office of the premier of Quebec on Grande-Allée is "Le Bunker".

There was even a TV series a few years ago about politics in Quebec City that was called "Bunker - le Cirque".
     
     
  #2612  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:36 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
No doubt, the topography, foreground and background are very similar. But there is quite a difference between the office towers of Montreal and the apartment blocks of Hamilton.
Indeed. Many people, myself included, simply rate an office dominated skyline higher than one dominated by residential. I don't prefer a skyline that's entirely office, but I'd say 60-75% of the largest most visible buildings being office is a good mix.
     
     
  #2613  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:46 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
I don't mind more residential if it's nice - but, in most cities, taller residential buildings just don't seem to be as nice office ones.
     
     
  #2614  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:46 PM
Ashok Ashok is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 602
I find the problem with too many residential buildings are the balconies, so it is harder to get minimalist design which I adore. I find with too much residential buildings, the skyline becomes to busy.

Also, I think it is totally believable to look @ Hamilton and think it was just an extension of Montreal's skyline and view from the mountain.
     
     
  #2615  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:54 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
No doubt, the topography, foreground and background are very similar. But there is quite a difference between the office towers of Montreal and the apartment blocks of Hamilton.
It definitely comes down to the buildings. Montreal has really nice buildings, Hamilton has really ugly buildings.
     
     
  #2616  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:59 PM
The_Architect's Avatar
The_Architect The_Architect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
It definitely comes down to the buildings. Montreal has really nice buildings, Hamilton has really ugly buildings.
On the contrary, one of Montreal's most prominent is ugly as 🞵🞵🞵🞵 (PVM) and one of Hamilton's most prominent is great (Stelco, Pigott).
     
     
  #2617  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 7:41 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
^ I suppose it's just a matter of taste. I'd consider PVM to be one of the most attractive large office buildings in the country.
     
     
  #2618  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 8:00 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ I suppose it's just a matter of taste. I'd consider PVM to be one of the most attractive large office buildings in the country.
PVM is ok, definitely not ugly, and aside from it's shape there's nothing really unique about it. 6.5/10 for me.
     
     
  #2619  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 8:05 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
PVM is my favourite in Montreal. It just makes me happy, somehow.

But this one, the circular one near centre left:

Montreal_Panorama_04 by mrbanjo1138, on Flickr

Gawd, I hate it so hard. It ruins skyline shots from Mount Royal for me. It's like... The Rooms Lite, to me, personally - obviously, I know The Rooms is objectively WAY worse.
     
     
  #2620  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 8:07 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
PVM is ok, definitely not ugly, and aside from it's shape there's nothing really unique about it. 6.5/10 for me.

Aside from it's shape? That's like saying aside from it's shape there's really nothing unique about the Bow, or aside from it's height, there's really nothing unique about the CN tower.

How many defining characteristics does one building need?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.