Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis
Second, can anyone comment on whether CT has ever considered adding capacity along existing lines (for example, 4 tracks supporting the Tuscany line) to allow for express trains that have limited stops?
|
I doubt they have ever considered this. I am sure there are plenty of reasons for that too, but I will leave it to the better informed.
There are some serious benefits to burying the NW-S line even if the trains never get longer than 4 or 5 cars. Spliting the two existing lines means that extra space can use for more trains on those lines which is an enormous capacity increase over the current interlining. Not likely 2x (due to existing over-crowding of the track from what I have heard) but serious capacity increases nonetheless. Also makes the system much more resilient to back-ups and issues as the lines operate independently and more room in the schedule in event of a problem.
What I think is more likely in the medium to long term (apart from the 8th Ave Subway) would be some level of commuter rail that could theoretically function like express trains. I would assume following the existing CPR ROW in a few directions. The obvious one for me is the South Line. Perhaps an Somerset & Anderson & Chinook transfer stations between Rail and existing LRT and then a central station downtown.
I am sure there are many issues with this due to existing freight traffic and space for new sidings etc. but in a long enough timeframe I wouldn't be surprised.
A Nose Creek - Airport Transfer - Airdrie line could work as well, and a Bowness Line is possible. I would expect a much larger population and much higher densities would be required to support such a system, but we are well on our way.
Be patient, New York didn't get to 8 million over-night