Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili
I met with Alberta Transportation once when they mentioned this, almost did a spit take. Alberta Transportation is completely out to lunch. We are a city that is 850km2 with a ring road. That is more than enough.
I would vote for any party that immediately kills any second ring road planning. Waste of time, money and based upon thinking from the 1970s. Even a city of 4 million people doesn't need two ring roads. If it does, it has screwed up regional planning in such a bad way, it should not be allowed to exist.
|
It's insanity. The case for the size and scale of the first leg of the SWRR is dubious and shaky as is, with no published assumptions or projections on usage. Even the wildest projections would never see enough growth in traffic - and that is assuming we don't see another major mode shift in a 75 year timeframe - like we did over the past 75 years. To assume that we would need another one in 75 years doesn't make any sense.
I am no engineer but I assume all those extra long flyovers so 16-lanes of traffic can fit underneath cost more than building them over a 8-lane highway? What's the design life on a concrete bridge like these? Will we have to rebuild them anyways before the extra lanes are ever built?
This should be a scandal for any government.