HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #561  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:27 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I do know that Old & New has put out some ideas for the former Holding block, but a Fortune 100 company campus plan is very intriguing.
     
     
  #562  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:37 PM
linguisize's Avatar
linguisize linguisize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
No. That's what I was referring to in my post.
However, the rfp mentioned that the new hotel couldn't hinder the solar panels already installed. Wouldn't the south east corner likely be the worst spot for the hotel with this in mind? That said, I'd absolutely love if they kept the hotel to current convention center space. NW corner would be awesome in my opinion.
     
     
  #563  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:24 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
I notice the crane is up and in action at the La Porte project again. Are they back in business?
     
     
  #564  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:11 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by linguisize View Post
However, the rfp mentioned that the new hotel couldn't hinder the solar panels already installed. Wouldn't the south east corner likely be the worst spot for the hotel with this in mind? That said, I'd absolutely love if they kept the hotel to current convention center space. NW corner would be awesome in my opinion.
The SE corner that someone brought up and that I mentioned was the SE corner of 300 W and S. Temple, as opposed the the SE corner of the Salt Palace, which would be a horrible location in relation to the solar panels. Makid mentioned that the SE corner of the Salt Palace (NW corner of 200 S and W. Temple) is not the site they are thinking of.
     
     
  #565  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:24 PM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,150
Here are some pictures I took a few days ago of one of the new rooms on the 12th floor of the Shilo Inn. The furniture (except for the TV) is the old furniture. The new furniture will start arriving within the next month from what I understand.











And an old room for comparison:








The lobbies for the glass elevator are being blocked off to build min suites.


Last edited by RC14; Sep 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM. Reason: fix photo size
     
     
  #566  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:38 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
You should send some of those poster sized images of the Shilo to AjiuO as we all know he would love a poster sized image of that building.
     
     
  #567  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 9:02 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Old&New I have a project for you. I was looking at google maps and looked at the parking lot that takes up a full city block just off main at the Courthouse TRAX station and thought of an idea.

What "if" a fortune 100 company came in and purchased the full block and made a campus out of it? I would love to see an idea tossed into that area of what it might look like with a few office buildings, employee only plaza/park in the middle (or anywhere you might think is best), retail, and anything else you might think a fortune 100 company would do with a full city block campus.
     
     
  #568  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 3:19 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
CCH Designs

How about something along the lines of the proposed Hilton at the Cleveland Convention Center, but with twice as many rooms?

I personally really like the design and hope we get something equally as attractive.



cuyahogacounty.us
     
     
  #569  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 3:33 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
99 West was built by a company based in portland that actually has some really great, clean designs. We ended up getting a much more complex building than I liked, same with Regent. The opposite happened on 111, lol. We can never find the right spot, except with 222, and thats why everyone likes that building - SOM did a really good job on 222. Complex but simple and reflective.

Does anyone have info on an expected heigh for the CCH?
     
     
  #570  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:05 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post

Does anyone have info on an expected heigh for the CCH?
400 FT plus.
     
     
  #571  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:32 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post



cuyahogacounty.us
While I like the design, I hope we get something less wall-ish.
     
     
  #572  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:38 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I can only hope that "if" a fortune 100 company does come to Salt Lake and buys that land they would be willing to put in a through street. I too was thinking of twin towers as the 2 main buildings in the campus. When I was thinking about this the AOL towers in NYC came to mind, but I knew that two 900' towers wouldn't be an option but I could see 2 650-700' towers being built. I just think with our large city blocks a large corporation could do some pretty cool things if they owned a full city block.
     
     
  #573  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:52 AM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
How about something along the lines of the proposed Hilton at the Cleveland Convention Center, but with twice as many rooms?

I personally really like the design and hope we get something equally as attractive.



cuyahogacounty.us
I like the design also, and would hope ours is taller.
That's a lot of non-hotel room space on the bottom, which could blend in with the Convention Center at the So. Temple 3rd West site. Awesome mezzanine?, courtyard?, Veranda? near the top. I'm sure you would have to have a Hotel Key to get in there, or every Tom, —, etc. would want up there.
And that second pic....Why do they have fish-eye perspective, dummies.
Sorry, but that is too funny. Thanks Jub.
     
     
  #574  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:26 AM
airhero airhero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 968
Maybe I'm alone in this but I hate the idea of twin towers in any city. It's boring to me. I'd rather have a little variety. It's the biggest reason I find Philly's skyline a bit uninteresting, although it's getting better with the addition of the Comcast buildings. I do like the Boston and Newhouse buildings, though.

I love the Cleveland CCH designs. Actually isn't too much of a wall compared to some of the others we've seen.
     
     
  #575  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:36 AM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,616
I would welcome a design like that. Salt Lake's skyline needs more — blue and white glass.
     
     
  #576  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 9:35 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,640
Saw this photo posted on — Nourse's Facebook page. Not sure who did it. Kinda dated, but pretty awesome looking.

     
     
  #577  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 9:35 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,640
Okay. And it's way bigger than I expected.

(that's what she said)
     
     
  #578  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 1:13 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
GSBS Architects might be planning or might had planned at one point to propose something for the old public safety building. The had a very simple model of the building in their offices, and when I inquired about it, they were very vague.


When you guys say 300 w south temple. Is this the lot the fidelity and the Radisson currently occupy?

Last edited by EPdesign; Sep 25, 2014 at 3:22 PM.
     
     
  #579  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 3:23 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
The height of the CCH is going to be based on what site is selected and how many rooms they decide to include. Without knowing that information, it's tough to speculate too much about specifics like height.

The city's former Public Safety Building will not see any redesign or a new use in the near future as the building is still used by the police department. The evidence storage areas are still in that building as they were not designed into the new structure.

Also, I noticed the crane moving around on the La Porte project. Perhaps they are finally back on the move.
     
     
  #580  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:09 PM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
I took these for work, so I might as well share 'em. It's a monument for organ donors.





     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.