HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #541  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:56 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Looks like a combination of the Willis tower and the John Hancock center.

I like it.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #542  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 7:19 AM
Reachforthesky Reachforthesky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 207
88 modern/historical photos show Salt Lake then and now

This is AWESOME! Grateful for whoever took the time to do this. Great shots!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86561...-photos-show-Salt-Lake-then-and-now.html

Sad to see the Newhouse Building torn down to become a huge parking lot! It really looked like it had quite the footprint in downtown, having it, changed the entire look of 4th S. and Main.


http://img.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/1405654/1405654.jpg



Also look at how much BETTER 1st S. and Main looked! Wow!

http://img.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/1405656/1405656.jpg



Here's one of my personal favorites! Someone please BRING THIS BACK permanently! It would add so much to downtown!
http://img.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/1405701/1405701.jpg

Last edited by Reachforthesky; Sep 21, 2014 at 7:31 AM.
     
     
  #543  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 5:19 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Great collection. I'd love for the Newhouse Hotel to be rebuilt as was.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #544  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 7:41 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned this but they've started to construct the islands in the middle of 300 W.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #545  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 7:45 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Wait where?

Also does anyone know who to talk to about the sidewalk issue outside triad I almost got hit by a bus the other day bc of it
     
     
  #546  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 1:10 AM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Wait where?

Also does anyone know who to talk to about the sidewalk issue outside triad I almost got hit by a bus the other day bc of it
SLC Streets Division is my best guess http://www.slcgov.com/streets
     
     
  #547  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 2:47 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
SLC Streets Division is my best guess http://www.slcgov.com/streets
thanks! i reported three seperate issues i had. hopefully the city takes action.
     
     
  #548  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 7:28 PM
CofIKid CofIKid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 214
A few things I noticed around town...

The "new" Arrow Press Square is being landscaped today. They created a nice little plaza towards the back.

The Laporte crane on State Street was up for the first time in weeks today.

Boyer began landscaping on the 200 East part of the access road that will go from State Street to 200 east once the parking garage and 151 is complete.
     
     
  #549  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:38 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
CCH News:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86561...on-hotel-in-downtown-Salt-Lake-City.html

'Five or six' possible sites for convention hotel in downtown Salt Lake City

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County officials are considering five or six possible sites for construction of a planned headquarters hotel for the Salt Palace Convention Center.

Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams, meeting Monday with the editorial board of media companies under Deseret Management Corp.'s umbrella, said one option would be to build the hotel on a portion of the convention center grounds, "which would be attractive because you're not taking existing taxable property off the market."

The site will ultimately be selected by the county in concert with the hotel developer, he said. But that will not occur until state and local officials pick the developer later this fall.

In August, the county released a "request for proposal" seeking a development and design team to build, own and operate the 850- to 1,200-room hotel and meeting space. Proposals are due Oct. 24.

"Then we'll have a short list and start negotiations with the No. 1 developer. We'll start working with that developer to evaluate sites. We didn't feel we had the expertise within government to do the proper analysis for a $300 million project," McAdams said.

Although each of the sites is in close vicinity of the Salt Palace, each presents different challenges and opportunities, he said.

"We want people who are coming to be able to shop. That's going to help us get that multiplier effect," he said. However, McAdams said a site closer to retail development would likely be more expensive than other locations.

Last week, the county conducted an informational meeting to answer the questions of potential developers before they submit their proposals.

The RFP does not cite a preference for any potential site around the Salt Palace. However, the project needs to be as close to the convention center as possible, sensitive to nearby cultural and historical assets and have minimal impact on the Salt Palace’s solar panel array, the largest statewide.

The 2014 Utah Legislature passed legislation that provides an incentive for a public/private partnership to build the hotel, convention meeting space and public infrastructure. HB356 allows for sales tax rebates up to $75 million over 20 years to the hotel developer if the hotel meets certain performance benchmarks. The privately constructed and owned hotel will include public meeting space paid for by the hotelier in exchange for the tax rebates.
With regards to the bolded section, I have heard about this and until the site mentioned above is public, I cannot provide more information other than to say that the location is not the NW corner of 2nd South and West Temple (plaza area).
     
     
  #550  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:23 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I keep seeing these numbers. "850 to 1,200-room hotel"

I really hope that the hotel will be more then just 850 rooms. Don't get me wrong, that's still a ton of rooms. ( Grand America Hotel has around 800-ish rooms ) but I think anything less then 1000 rooms for this mega hotel will be a bit of a let down. I would love for it to reach it's peak of 1,200 rooms.
All in all, I feel like we are getting very close of finally learning the final site of this development with renderings and a developer.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #551  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:36 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
Projects,

Don't worry about the low end. I keep looking at the high end "850 to 1,200-room hotel"

I would expect that we will be getting a CCH closer to the 1,200 room level than the 850. Overtime, the top and bottom values have changed. The bottom used to be stated as 800 rooms and the top at 1,000. The top has changed from 1,000 to 1,100 and now to 1,200 rooms while the bottom has only gone from 800 to 850.

With the plans in the future to further expand the convention center exhibit space, I think a developer would see the value in building more rooms now.

I do have some information that would show an increased reason for a larger CCH. The information is not public but the information is known to those helping with RFP's and answering developer questions. I am hopeful that it will be released soon.
     
     
  #552  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 10:08 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Checking out the list on wikipedia.org on largest Hotels in the world. If Salt Lake could land a 1,200 room hotel that would place us in a five-way tie at the 135th biggest. Here are some examples of other Hotels that have 1,200 rooms...

Hotels that have 1,200 rooms
Hilton Americas http://arquitectonica.com/blog/portfolio...mericas-houston-convention-center-hotel/
Park Inn Pribaltiskaya Hotel http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2006_4th/Dec06_ParkInnWaterpark.html
Lotte Hotel Seoul http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2014/08/320_101729.html
Makkah Hajar Tower http://www.tcf-me.com/client_portal/move...npick-makkah-hospitality-rooms-and-views

While I don't see Salt Lake getting anything close to the "Makkah Hajar Towers" I would like to see something more along the lines of the "Lotte Hotel Seoul". The others seem a bit too wide for my liking.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #553  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 10:09 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Projects,

Don't worry about the low end. I keep looking at the high end "850 to 1,200-room hotel"

I would expect that we will be getting a CCH closer to the 1,200 room level than the 850. Overtime, the top and bottom values have changed. The bottom used to be stated as 800 rooms and the top at 1,000. The top has changed from 1,000 to 1,100 and now to 1,200 rooms while the bottom has only gone from 800 to 850.

With the plans in the future to further expand the convention center exhibit space, I think a developer would see the value in building more rooms now.

I do have some information that would show an increased reason for a larger CCH. The information is not public but the information is known to those helping with RFP's and answering developer questions. I am hopeful that it will be released soon.
Alright pin-up girl....just tease us. (wink-wink) Is that all you're gonna show us? And if we get something wider than tall, Well...I'll...um...maybe rent a room in the Shilo, and drink alone.
     
     
  #554  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 10:46 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
The possibly on existing Salt Palace land comment if very intriguing. If it's not the NW corner of W Temple and 200 S, then I would assume that it would have to be in place of the most recent addition that took the SP to 300 W. The corner to the north of that isn't owned by the Salt Palace. I'm so intrigued.

I too expect that we'll know by the end of the year, and for those four 1,200 room hotels, The Hilton is a little wide for what it sounds like the county wants, but as far as designs go I like it the best. I'm conflicted on the 850-1,200 room and which I would prefer. Yes it would be nice to get the 1,200 because that is a really large hotel, particularly for us, but I also look at it this way. If the developer only builds 850-900, I could see one of the other developers deciding to go ahead and build another large hotel near the convention center, possibly another 600-800 rooms. So part of me wants the big one, part of me wants to large ones.
     
     
  #555  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:13 AM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Is the SE corner of S. Temple and 300 W owned by the convention center?
     
     
  #556  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:41 AM
TheWire TheWire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
If the developer only builds 850-900, I could see one of the other developers deciding to go ahead and build another large hotel near the convention center, possibly another 600-800 rooms. So part of me wants the big one, part of me wants to large ones.
I would think that this reason would only further support the idea of a larger hotel. Interesting point, especially if there is significant competition from all the big players in hotel development, as has been expected up to this point. To be a fly on the wall seeing these RFPs come in...
     
     
  #557  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:01 PM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Checking out the list on wikipedia.org on largest Hotels in the world. If Salt Lake could land a 1,200 room hotel that would place us in a five-way tie at the 135th biggest. Here are some examples of other Hotels that have 1,200 rooms...

Hotels that have 1,200 rooms
Hilton Americas http://arquitectonica.com/blog/portfolio...mericas-houston-convention-center-hotel/
Park Inn Pribaltiskaya Hotel http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2006_4th/Dec06_ParkInnWaterpark.html
Lotte Hotel Seoul http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2014/08/320_101729.html
Makkah Hajar Tower http://www.tcf-me.com/client_portal/move...npick-makkah-hospitality-rooms-and-views

While I don't see Salt Lake getting anything close to the "Makkah Hajar Towers" I would like to see something more along the lines of the "Lotte Hotel Seoul". The others seem a bit too wide for my liking.
Well I hope we do not get anything along the lines of those hotels...!
__________________
Photos of Downtown SLC & surrounding areas-http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199269&highlight=ctobsl

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com
     
     
  #558  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:08 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
Is the SE corner of S. Temple and 300 W owned by the convention center?
No. That's what I was referring to in my post.
     
     
  #559  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:15 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
No. That's what I was referring to in my post.
The plot is so Thick.
     
     
  #560  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:24 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Old&New I have a project for you. I was looking at google maps and looked at the parking lot that takes up a full city block just off main at the Courthouse TRAX station and thought of an idea.

What "if" a fortune 100 company came in and purchased the full block and made a campus out of it? I would love to see an idea tossed into that area of what it might look like with a few office buildings, employee only plaza/park in the middle (or anywhere you might think is best), retail, and anything else you might think a fortune 100 company would do with a full city block campus.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.