HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2861  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 11:55 PM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Thanks for the fantastic update! I grew up in Richmond, and I feel like it doesn't get any love on here. I know the towers are all short, but there's an insane amount of them that have gone up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2862  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:34 AM
BodomReaper BodomReaper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post

Quintet #3 by urbancanadian, on Flickr
Quintent looks absolutely monstrous - in the best possible way. Very striking project, as is Bravo (both designed by the same architecture firm, W.T. Leung.) Thanks for the fantastic update!

As an aside urbancandian, I'm not sure if this is intentional on your part (my apologies if so) but all your photos except one are set to private - meaning we can't click through to their main page to salivate at higher resolutions. This can be changed in the account Privacy & Permissions tab if you're so inclined. Massive thank-youin any case
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2863  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:46 AM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 6,394
great update thanks!
__________________
Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2864  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:56 AM
memememe76 memememe76 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 843
Over the summer, I have done a few of my long runs along the Richmond dykes, between Steveston and the UBC Yacht Club (a couple blocks from Aberdeen Station). Those condo developments in River Park are really nice in person, and Richmond has a really nice path along the water.

My only concern is access from those condo developments to the main business centre along No. 3 Road. It's a bit of a pain in terms of walking, and I never noticed much in the way of bus service.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2865  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:09 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
From CKNW:

Quote:
New West takes a pass on Whitecaps proposal

Vancouver, BC, Canada / (CKNW AM) AM980
Shane Woodford

September 15, 2014 08:44 pm

After taking a look at the bill the city of New Westminster has said no thanks to hosting the Whitecaps development team.

Councillor Jonathan Cote says the city would have been on the hook for about 11-million-dollars in up front costs for the Queens Park field.

“The main reason the proposal didn’t work is the financial numbers just simply didn’t work. The total up front costs were going to be close to $11.4 million and unfortunately the city was not able to absorb those costs. The Whitecaps were not able to put money up front for the proposal and were only able to pay a small amount of rent to recoup some of those costs.”

...
http://www.cknw.com/2014/09/15/new-west-takes-a-pass-on-whitecaps-proposal/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2866  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:41 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Great update from Richmond! I was also in the area yesterday, but I would never have the patience to be taking photos of all those projects - great work!

I also took note that there is a lot going on in Richmond, but I cannot help but say that many of these projects do look alike. I like the high-quality materials on many of these, but they are just so... stubby.

How come are high-rises so no-no in Richmond, but Marine Gateway is fine so close to the landing path?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2867  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:43 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Great update from Richmond! I was also in the area yesterday, but I would never have the patience to be taking photos of all those projects - great work!

I also took note that there is a lot going on in Richmond, but I cannot help but say that many of these projects do look alike. I like the high-quality materials on many of these, but they are just so... stubby.

How come are high-rises so no-no in Richmond, but Marine Gateway is fine so close to the landing path?
From what I understand, it's to do with Richmond's lack of bedrock to dig into. These towers have to be supported by loose sand that's below sea level. I could be wrong though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2868  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:48 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Does the bedrock then change already at Marine Gateway? Aren't Coal Harbour, Yaletown and False Creek also built (partly) on reclaimed land?

I guess it's a matter of where going to the extra lengths is financially viable, eh?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2869  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 5:04 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Does the bedrock then change already at Marine Gateway? Aren't Coal Harbour, Yaletown and False Creek also built (partly) on reclaimed land?

I guess it's a matter of where going to the extra lengths is financially viable, eh?
I thought only Pacific Central Station and the adjacent railway yard was built on reclaimed land? Either way, I'm no expert. All I know growing up in Richmond is that we'd always talk about swimming over to Marine Drive if the Big One ever hit, because it's above sea level, whereas Richmond is below. Again, I know next to nothing on the subject so this is all speculation.

But you may be right. There's a lot more easily developable land even in downtown Richmond than Marine Drive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2870  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:34 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Perhaps the lower building heights in Richmond have something to do with being in the YVR runway flightpaths.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2871  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:30 PM
VanK VanK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 369
The only reason is the Richmond flight paths... The soil/sea-level issue only affects the underground parking situation (just need to build larger above ground parkades) You can only build higher in Richmond once YVR & the Feds allow it... which may happen slowly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2872  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:34 PM
urbancanadian urbancanadian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 713
No problem, and thanks!!

I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the feel of downtown Richmond with every building being virtually the same height. Ironically, that's what makes it unique to me.

You could actually say that Richmond has TWO height limits - the one from it's proximity to the airport, but also one limiting it from building downward. Since developers can't build underground, they need to cram the parking garages in with everything else and still try to maximize their density within a certain height.

And they really hide the parkades well. I mean, the average person walking beside one of the newer developments would have no idea. Coquitlam could learn a thing or two from Richmond.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2873  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:41 PM
urbancanadian urbancanadian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Quintent looks absolutely monstrous - in the best possible way. Very striking project, as is Bravo (both designed by the same architecture firm, W.T. Leung.) Thanks for the fantastic update!

As an aside urbancandian, I'm not sure if this is intentional on your part (my apologies if so) but all your photos except one are set to private - meaning we can't click through to their main page to salivate at higher resolutions. This can be changed in the account Privacy & Permissions tab if you're so inclined. Massive thank-youin any case
Thanks, BodomReaper! I actually did purposely set my account to private. I'm kind of weird when it comes to these things. I will change it eventually, down the road...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2874  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 7:28 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanK View Post
The only reason is the Richmond flight paths... The soil/sea-level issue only affects the underground parking situation (just need to build larger above ground parkades) You can only build higher in Richmond once YVR & the Feds allow it... which may happen slowly.
I believe this is the case, but my original question stands: how is southern part of Richmond's downtown any different from Marine Gateway? Area around Brighouse is further away from the flight paths than Marine Gateway is...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2875  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 8:06 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
Could be due to the flight path for the crosswind runway, not just the east-west north and south runways.

The south runway, is, of course, also farther south and closer to Richmond.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2876  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 8:09 PM
VanK VanK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I believe this is the case, but my original question stands: how is southern part of Richmond's downtown any different from Marine Gateway? Area around Brighouse is further away from the flight paths than Marine Gateway is...
I am no aviation expert BUT I am fairly certain that the area around Brighouse is or at least was along the YVR flight path. I found this online:

http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/ENV_Docs/Aircraft_Flight_Routings_-_Final.sflb.ashx
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2877  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 8:58 PM
NewWester NewWester is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 353
I think it mostly has to do with prevailing winds. Airplanes get more lift when flying into the wind, so it's generally best to takeoff against the wind and land with the wind. Since wind generally blows off of the ocean or, depending on conditions, towards the ocean, the approach and takeoff corridors (and runways) run in that direction. And why planes fly low over Richmond instead of say Marine Drive. So it's more about the physics of flight and the physical geography of the region than just arbitrary zoning rules.

You can see the airport (kind of) from my office, and it's fun to see the direction of takeoff and landing change on weird swirling wind days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2878  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 9:41 PM
Zassk Zassk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,303
There is also the seaplane facility on the middle arm of the Fraser, for which the planes fly directly over downtown Richmond when landing. This facility is quite busy on some days. The time a small plane crashed into a Richmond highrise several years ago, it was one of these seaplanes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2879  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:56 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2880  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 6:07 AM
libtard's Avatar
libtard libtard is offline
Dahvie Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I thought only Pacific Central Station and the adjacent railway yard was built on reclaimed land? Either way, I'm no expert. All I know growing up in Richmond is that we'd always talk about swimming over to Marine Drive if the Big One ever hit, because it's above sea level, whereas Richmond is below. Again, I know next to nothing on the subject so this is all speculation.

But you may be right. There's a lot more easily developable land even in downtown Richmond than Marine Drive.
Richmond isn't below sea level, its 1 meter above on average
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:33 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.