Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc
Airports have been known to raise a stink about transit connections. In Toronto, the government has to pay the airport $1.80 for every passenger who will take the Union Pearson Express to compensate the airport for anticipated loss of parking revenue. The airport refused to let the government run trains to the terminal without that agreement.
|
I don't know who paid for the UPX (Queen's Park?), but in Vancouver, the airport contributed 300 million of the roughly 2 billion dollar cost of the Canada Line.
Here in Ottawa, the MC Airport requested an airport link and are expecting to pay a certain amount of any rail connection, though no where near 300 million I'm sure.
I think that Toronto's situation reflects the fact that despite all the transit options and high ridership levels, it is still very car oriented. Plus Queen's Park are suckers and will dish out any amount of cash to make Toronto look good. Pearson International took advantage of that.