HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7021  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 4:26 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Thank you, guys. I am glad to hear that you liked my update. It was a good long walk in the sunshine for sure.

I have to repeat my question from in between the photos; is there any timelapse on how that crane works? I am very curious to know how it moves forward as it is not clear from seeing in out there.
     
     
  #7022  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 5:58 AM
adrianroam95 adrianroam95 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Thank you, guys. I am glad to hear that you liked my update. It was a good long walk in the sunshine for sure.

I have to repeat my question from in between the photos; is there any timelapse on how that crane works? I am very curious to know how it moves forward as it is not clear from seeing in out there.
queetz@home posted a helpful video about a week ago which demonstrated the general gist of how the gantry crane works.

• Video Link

Last edited by adrianroam95; Aug 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM.
     
     
  #7023  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:56 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Excellent, that explains in clearly! Thank you! I had missed that video.
     
     
  #7024  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 8:24 PM
dpogue dpogue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 769
Been away for most of this week, so I'm not entirely sure of the current state of things at Lougheed, but I did just see this:
M-Line service adjustments at Lougheed tomorrow to "integrate new track for the Evergreen Line".

I suspect this means they'll be installing track through the side platform and joining to the existing inbound track west of the station at DC155.
     
     
  #7025  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 8:56 PM
xd_1771's Avatar
xd_1771 xd_1771 is offline
(daka_x)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metro Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,741
New paper I found at Thales Signalling

https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/defaul...seltracr_in_vancouver_evergreen_line.pdf

Among the important highllights I think in this are:
  • The SkyTrain Evergreen Line system will be capable of running one train every 93 seconds in both directions (this is a litte less than 75 seconds with the Expo Line - which is a Waterfront switch limitation or otherwise they'd be doing 60s frequencies - but appropriate considering the crossover switching on the Evergreen)
  • The centre two loops on the main line and the VSF loop layout are designed to allow for the future expansion of the VSF (confirms the new vehicle storage facility can be expanded for future Broadway and/or Surrey expansions)
  • A completely new teaser image of a beautiful 400-series FOUR-CAR Mark III SkyTrain vehicle on the front

Last edited by xd_1771; Aug 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM.
     
     
  #7026  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 9:55 PM
ClaytonA ClaytonA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
New paper I found at Thales Signalling

...
  • The SkyTrain Evergreen Line system will be capable of running one train every 93 seconds in both directions (this is a litte less than 75 seconds with the Expo Line - which is a Waterfront switch limitation or otherwise they'd be doing 60s frequencies - but appropriate considering the crossover switching on the Evergreen)...
Not doing the weave and installing switches just east of Lougheed, by Whitespot where the steel curve is at different elevation happens, like originally planned, to save money, means a 18s longer minimum train headway?

ie Expo line max 48 trains per hour, Evergreen max 38 (38.7) trains per hour.
So has not doing the weave reduced the maximum capacity, ie pphpd, by 24%? If this connects through to Broadway (and eventually UBC) and the Millenium Line eventually ends at Lougheed (no inter-lining) once connecting to SFU are addressed, then does it reduce the max capacity along Broadway by 24% as well?
     
     
  #7027  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 11:33 PM
xd_1771's Avatar
xd_1771 xd_1771 is offline
(daka_x)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metro Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,741
Well, initial peak headway will be 3 minutes (well beyond 93s); current Expo Line combined operation is at 108s with ample capacity. If capacity does run into the 30-40k pphpd levels on the Evergreen Line (which I wouldn't necessarily say likely yet), there's always the possibility to short-turn trains at, say, just beyond Brentwood before trains run into the basketweave issue at Lougheed.
     
     
  #7028  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 1:42 AM
adrianroam95 adrianroam95 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 215
August 9th:

One segment past Cameron!

     
     
  #7029  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 1:34 AM
scooterm2010 scooterm2010 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Westminster
Posts: 24
Drove down North Road today to get a look at this project. Counted 13 spans left along North Road to Gatineau Place, and about half of the forms half been removed from the steel curve.
     
     
  #7030  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 12:49 AM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterm2010 View Post
Drove down North Road today to get a look at this project. Counted 13 spans left along North Road to Gatineau Place, and about half of the forms half been removed from the steel curve.
Well, based on adrianroam95's latest pic and referencing it with Klazu's pics where the gantry was at Cameron, it seems it is still taking them 3 days to finish a single segment and reposition the crane, despite the 24 hour work schedule.

With 13 spans to go, I do think late September will indeed be when the gantry will reach Gatineau Place, as per the latest schedule. Dunno why it slowed down considerably, especially since its straight all the way. Perhaps they are being overly cautious given all the incidents....
     
     
  #7031  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 1:11 AM
dpogue dpogue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 769
Video from this morning showing the crane further up North Rd, the wooden forms removed from half of the curves, and whatever track "integration" work was done over the weekend.

I'm a bit surprised, for whatever work they did, it wasn't integration with the inbound track west of the station like I expected.
     
     
  #7032  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 1:26 AM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Video from this morning showing the crane further up North Rd, the wooden forms removed from half of the curves, and whatever track "integration" work was done over the weekend.

I'm a bit surprised, for whatever work they did, it wasn't integration with the inbound track west of the station like I expected.
Did they actually extend the tracks on the inbound east track (where the ladder was) towards the new guideway? Its hard to see from the video...
     
     
  #7033  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:28 AM
dpogue dpogue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
Did they actually extend the tracks on the inbound east track (where the ladder was) towards the new guideway? Its hard to see from the video...
I'm not entirely sure. I don't think so, unless they only extended them a metre or so. There are no rail clips on any of the steel curve sections yet, although they are installed on the 3 outbound segments between the platform and the curve.
     
     
  #7034  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:12 AM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
I'm not entirely sure. I don't think so, unless they only extended them a metre or so. There are no rail clips on any of the steel curve sections yet, although they are installed on the 3 outbound segments between the platform and the curve.
Ok, thanks. So yes, I guess I am too are surprised on why they didn't bother doing anything on the inbound west track. Seems kinda silly to schedule a service disruption like that for little or no actual work done...
     
     
  #7035  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 9:20 PM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
Well, based on adrianroam95's latest pic and referencing it with Klazu's pics where the gantry was at Cameron, it seems it is still taking them 3 days to finish a single segment and reposition the crane, despite the 24 hour work schedule.

With 13 spans to go, I do think late September will indeed be when the gantry will reach Gatineau Place, as per the latest schedule. Dunno why it slowed down considerably, especially since its straight all the way. Perhaps they are being overly cautious given all the incidents....
Even with a 24-hr construction schedule, the epoxy holding the beam segments together takes the same amount of time to cure before the gantry can lower the beam to the columns, release the segments and walk along the new trackbed, so it appears the minimal time that it takes for each beam to be installed its about 3 days.
     
     
  #7036  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 9:35 PM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
Ok, thanks. So yes, I guess I am too are surprised on why they didn't bother doing anything on the inbound west track. Seems kinda silly to schedule a service disruption like that for little or no actual work done...
It looks to me that the new switch east of the 3rd platform was installed (switch 155?), along with a few metres of straight rail on either side of the new switch - westwards to the 3rd platform and eastwards to the '🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 curve'.

This new switch is the other half of the crossover from Switch 157.


If I remember correctly from my last visit, the switch west of the 3rd platform (switch 154?) has always been there, but the rails to the 3rd platform ended just past the switch itself.
     
     
  #7037  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 1:11 AM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
Well, regardless of how long the epoxy cures, I went pass the site today and the gantry crane is now above Cochrane. None of the segments have been lifted as of around 5 pm today but they were already preparing to lift the guideway segments.

I noticed a truck attached to a trailer carrying a segment was on standby ready to move. Maybe they would get those segments up during the night since it is an intersection. I could be wrong but I think there are around ten or eleven segments to go. With 3 days each, it will be a month at the earliest before the gantry reaches Gatineau Place from Cochrane.

Also note that at least a couple of columns don't have pads but do have rebars sticking up (can be seen from Klazu's pics). I think they will place the segments on temporary supports then just pour the pads, similar to how they did the portion above Como Lake. So definitely late September to finish it off (although the segments maybe up earlier, at least two would be in temporary supports).
     
     
  #7038  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 5:09 AM
dpogue dpogue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
It looks to me that the new switch east of the 3rd platform was installed (switch 155?), along with a few metres of straight rail on either side of the new switch - westwards to the 3rd platform and eastwards to the '🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 curve'.

This new switch is the other half of the crossover from Switch 157.


If I remember correctly from my last visit, the switch west of the 3rd platform (switch 154?) has always been there, but the rails to the 3rd platform ended just past the switch itself.
Detail of Lougheed switches in ASCII form (because I have way too much time on my hands):
Code:
                                     157(?)
                       --------------------------------------------->
                154   /                \     159     160              Burquitlam
           <--------------------------------------------------------<
Production       /    155               158   /        \
   Way          /                            /      161 \-----------<
University     /                            /            \             Braid
           >-------------------------------------------------------->
             153                          156            162

Last edited by dpogue; Aug 15, 2014 at 5:19 AM.
     
     
  #7039  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 5:12 AM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
Also note that at least a couple of columns don't have pads but do have rebars sticking up (can be seen from Klazu's pics). I think they will place the segments on temporary supports then just pour the pads, similar to how they did the portion above Como Lake.
I still don't really get how these support pads work. Is there anything in the design of the pads or the beams to prevent lateral movement, or do they just sit atop a flat surface?

I keep thinking that there out to be something to prevent the beam from being shaken off the pedestal in the event of an earthquake, but I haven't seen anything that looks like it would prevent that...
     
     
  #7040  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 12:50 PM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
Someone has been doing some poking about the name of the line:

http://www.thenownews.com/news/translink-considers-evergreen-line-name-change-1.1311869
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.