Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q
See I disagree, I think broadway cutting through there actually enhances the possibility for a good public square exactly because it breaks up the grid, creates worthwhile sight lines, etc. Just taking a whole block surrounded by streets and turning it into a plaza is not a recipe for a great public space.
|
But you still need the large space and the Broadway diagonal, while having the potential to create some nice sight lines, limits the number of decent sites for a public square of any decent size. I don't think we want to create another Skyline Park or Union Station plaza in Arapahoe Square; what we're looking for is something like Washington Square in NYC,Post Office Square in Boston, Trafalgar in London, etc. We're not looking at more intimate squares like Pioneer Square in Seattle, though such a square would certainly be more doable in the area, and possibly more interesting.