HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9721  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 5:04 AM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I said that's my only dislike for it. Otherwise I think it's awesome - how would you derive from one complaint that I had that I hated the whole project? I think it's great.

University Boulevard is an official designation - I am blown away that this is new to you. It is official to the level of Broadway, Sego Lily, Fort Union, etc. which both also use their numerical designations, but below the officialness of the temples and streets like market / main. It is above honorary designations like Cesar Chaves Blvd and Rosa Parks Blvd.
how would you derive that I said you hated the whole project?

Anyway, I'm glad we both think it's great.
     
     
  #9722  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 5:31 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPBDEV View Post

When this was going to be an office building/night club, it made sense to be on University Blvd, but now that it's a hotel (among other things), I don't think it should be on 4th at all.

You should move this to the run down area immediately south of Royal Wood Plaza so that your hotel is near the Salt Palace.

Develop this original site into the original concept, because lawyers are going to want a premiere office bldg next to the courthouse. Also, that intersection has traditionally been an entertainment area with the former Port o' Call and the former Eagles Club bldg that has housed The Bay and numerous other clubs over the years.
     
     
  #9723  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 5:10 PM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
^^^ There is still plenty of space on the block south of the courthouse for office buildings. That part of downtown could really use a 24 hour population. Also, the 4th south Trax loop will eventually run right by there and activate that whole stretch, connecting it to Pioneer Park and the rest of downtown. With Market Street nearby, that area could turn into a very cool place to live and play downtown.
     
     
  #9724  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 8:14 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
When this was going to be an office building/night club, it made sense to be on University Blvd, but now that it's a hotel (among other things), I don't think it should be on 4th at all.

You should move this to the run down area immediately south of Royal Wood Plaza so that your hotel is near the Salt Palace.

Develop this original site into the original concept, because lawyers are going to want a premiere office bldg next to the courthouse. Also, that intersection has traditionally been an entertainment area with the former Port o' Call and the former Eagles Club bldg that has housed The Bay and numerous other clubs over the years.
Hell... They should put it on RWP and then put the big one somewhere nicer like west or south temple.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #9725  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 8:17 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
If this includes relocating the State Fair... I don't support it.

Also.. There is a lot of space in west down town that would be a great fit for a stadium.. perhaps the rio grand area? or perhaps they could build it across the street from the fairpark? Why are we trying to take down the one semi decent thing on north temple... Why don't we redevelop some of the miles of garbage on North temple first??

I would love to see the faipark enhanced and still used.. I don't want to see it go though.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #9726  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 8:22 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
If this includes relocating the State Fair... I don't support it.

Also.. There is a lot of space in west down town that would be a great fit for a stadium.. perhaps the rio grand area?
Me neither.
     
     
  #9727  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 8:56 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Me neither.
I also agree with both of you. Fair park should stay the fairpark, not the stadium.

I bet they could fit it in between I-15 and the railroad where a huge park is being planned. It could revitalize the depot district?
     
     
  #9728  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:23 PM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
If this includes relocating the State Fair... I don't support it.

Also.. There is a lot of space in west down town that would be a great fit for a stadium.. perhaps the rio grand area? or perhaps they could build it across the street from the fairpark? Why are we trying to take down the one semi decent thing on north temple... Why don't we redevelop some of the miles of garbage on North temple first??

I would love to see the faipark enhanced and still used.. I don't want to see it go though.
In this scenario, the fair would stay at the fairpark. In the rendering, the soccer stadium is being built in the open parking lot north of the current buildings.
     
     
  #9729  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:48 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
     
     
  #9730  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:09 AM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
You should also mention in that post that Rocky Mountain Power is trying to charge solar power customers a monthly fee for the opportunity to produce their own power. Take a look at the public service commission website (link below) about this rate increase. Thousands of residents have emailed the PSC to try and stop this surcharge on residential solar panel owners. After Arizona passed a similar surcharge, the number of people installing solar panels dropped precipitously. If you want to make a comment you can email the PSC with your comments. Comments will close next week.

The thing that galls me most about this, is that Rocky Mountain Power makes a big deal about the blue sky program--which is just their own customers choosing to pay more to have some money go toward green energy (Rocky Mountian Power does not put money into the blue sky program, so they should not be receiving plaudits for it), yet they turn around and put a surcharge on rooftop solar. We have horrible air, yet we want to charge the people who are actually doing something about it more.

Here is the PSC link: http://psc.utah.gov/utilities/electric/elecindx/2013/13035184indx.html
     
     
  #9731  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 1:41 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
You should also mention in that post that Rocky Mountain Power is trying to charge solar power customers a monthly fee for the opportunity to produce their own power. Take a look at the public service commission website (link below) about this rate increase. Thousands of residents have emailed the PSC to try and stop this surcharge on residential solar panel owners. After Arizona passed a similar surcharge, the number of people installing solar panels dropped precipitously. If you want to make a comment you can email the PSC with your comments. Comments will close next week.

The thing that galls me most about this, is that Rocky Mountain Power makes a big deal about the blue sky program--which is just their own customers choosing to pay more to have some money go toward green energy (Rocky Mountian Power does not put money into the blue sky program, so they should not be receiving plaudits for it), yet they turn around and put a surcharge on rooftop solar. We have horrible air, yet we want to charge the people who are actually doing something about it more.

Here is the PSC link: http://psc.utah.gov/utilities/electric/elecindx/2013/13035184indx.html
That is a great point. I only mentioned the Blue Sky program because the grants helped fund some of the projects. Solar energy is becoming more popular because it is cheaper to install, we don't want surcharges ruining this momentum.
     
     
  #9732  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:30 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
I made a dumb comparison of three buildings in google street view, all looking up as far as possible and roughly the same distance from the camera to the building, to show how from street level the actual perspective distance is very short. ( and shorter the taller you go) but that there are actually 300 foot differences. It may be hard to read because of the opacity levels.

Buildings : Wells Fargo Center, Quest / 1801 California, NYT Building

     
     
  #9733  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:30 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Regarding my predictions about the political scene and level of cooperation between the SL Chamber of Commerce, the LDS Church, and Mayor's Office post 2016 and extending into 2024, you will recall that I believe such alliances will wane now that we have, in effect, checked off our boxes for the large scale projects needed to make us competitive. Let's consider again what 2016 will look like:

Completion of the new Performing Arts Center

Construction of the Convention Center Hotel in progress

Construction begins on the new terminal and parking structure for the new SLC International Airport.

What regional magnet projects (besides sports arenas) could possibly be stollen from Salt Lake City and moved into the suburbs? I really don't see anything. I think there will be a shift to local issues and an opening for politics in Salt Lake City to become less focused on regional projects and more on local quality of life projects.

And now you have a city councilman, who I know very well, as do others here, I'm sure, who has begun the small steps to run for Mayor of the city for this coming election cycle (if he won he'd be the mayor in 2016). And guess what, he's running on local level development and improvement vs. regional projects of the social elites. He contrasts Becker's priority of the theatre with his anti regional stance on UTA saying he supports a local bus company to handle the needs of Salt Lake City neighborhoods.

This is really interesting to me and sort of a sign of the times in the maturity of Salt Lake City. While I am a total supporter/ shill for Salt Lake City securing the projects of the elites and bringing the prestige and money to the city that comes with that, I think come 2016, a mayor willing to put the locals above the regional needs will be exactly what is needed to energize the city, at least for a season.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home3/58207175-200/becker-garrott-mayor-term.html.csp

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Jul 22, 2014 at 7:14 AM.
     
     
  #9734  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 2:48 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,755
Well, I know that Becker probably can't please everyone, but I would say overall he has been an excellent Mayor. If he should choose to run again, I would definitely be pulling for him. I can't imagine someone wanting to fix something that's not only not broken, but a huge improvement over the last administration.

Is Becker being labeled an elitist? That's one label I would never peg on Becker. To me it's almost laughable.
     
     
  #9735  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 4:55 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Well, I know that Becker probably can't please everyone, but I would say overall he has been an excellent Mayor. If he should choose to run again, I would definitely be pulling for him. I can't imagine someone wanting to fix something that's not only not broken, but a huge improvement over the last administration.

Is Becker being labeled an elitist? That's one label I would never peg on Becker. To me it's almost laughable.
I like Becker; if he runs again he will win. But Becker largely ran unopposed last election cycle. The Salt Lake City City Counsel has not seen eye to eye with Becker on certain priorities (those being priorities of the Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce). I'm sure you've noticed that before Becker we weren't in a hurry to build a Convention Center Hotel, various theatre upgrades, and a massive new Performing Arts Center. They were part of a long term plan, but didn't get the hard push.

You have Salt Lake City neighborhoods that want better transit and opportunities to redevelop, many of these people could just as easily not give a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 about Salt Lake City having these sort of massive tax funded projects that they feel don't improve their situation. That Salt Lake City hasn't annexed much of the county makes it somewhat remarkable so much regional prioritization has been accommodated thus far. Luke, who is looking to run against Becker, is very popular in his area of the city he represents and probably reflects their frustrations with the city. His area bought the most hive passes so it doesn't come as a surprise to me that he would be very focused on improved local busses.

I think this is healthy. If it becomes clear in the election that certain local needs are not being adequately prioritized enough, Becker will most likely shift to better satisfy that as a mayor when he wins. It's good to have competition even for good mayors.
     
     
  #9736  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:12 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
So........what's the latest with the 111 development? Could we be seeing a crane rise on that site in the coming days?
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #9737  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:16 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
If you guys have a minute to take a quick reader survey over at the The SLC Blog. The survey is just 5 questions but will help us grow. Cheers!
     
     
  #9738  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:25 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
If you guys have a minute to take a quick reader survey over at the The SLC Blog. The survey is just 5 questions but will help us grow. Cheers!
Do ad clicks help your revenue? If so, I'll get clicking
     
     
  #9739  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:56 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
I like Becker; if he runs again he will win. But Becker largely ran unopposed last election cycle. The Salt Lake City City Counsel has not seen eye to eye with Becker on certain priorities (those being priorities of the Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce). I'm sure you've noticed that before Becker we weren't in a hurry to build a Convention Center Hotel, various theatre upgrades, and a massive new Performing Arts Center. They were part of a long term plan, but didn't get the hard push.

You have Salt Lake City neighborhoods that want better transit and opportunities to redevelop, many of these people could just as easily not give a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 about Salt Lake City having these sort of massive tax funded projects that they feel don't improve their situation. That Salt Lake City hasn't annexed much of the county makes it somewhat remarkable so much regional prioritization has been accommodated thus far. Luke, who is looking to run against Becker, is very popular in his area of the city he represents and probably reflects their frustrations with the city. His area bought the most hive passes so it doesn't come as a surprise to me that he would be very focused on improved local busses.

I think this is healthy. If it becomes clear in the election that certain local needs are not being adequately prioritized enough, Becker will most likely shift to better satisfy that as a mayor when he wins. It's good to have competition even for good mayors.

So, the convention hotel was supposed to sit on the back burner for another decade or two? It's already been in the long-term plan for a couple of decades, so now's the time. We need a mayor who can do the hard push. These projects would've languished for decades more without someone like Becker.

I disagree with Luke Garrott on most issues, so I wouldn't support his candidacy. (Even though I liked him when he was my college professor.)

Last edited by Stenar; Jul 22, 2014 at 10:07 PM.
     
     
  #9740  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 10:16 PM
JMK JMK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 437
I was browsing reddit and there is a video game called The Crew that has a Salt Lake City Level in it.

Here is a link to gameplay video they enter SLC at around 50:45

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-crew-beta-now-playing/2300-6420337/





     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:31 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.