HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4681  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 12:39 AM
tyleraf's Avatar
tyleraf tyleraf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 566
Nice photo. I think that building is a little too nice for TCA though. Hahaha
     
     
  #4682  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 1:07 AM
caligrad's Avatar
caligrad caligrad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
TCA at the end of a project:
LMAO ! I swear they have board meetings and present their "works of art" and they all applaud with accomplishment like they are going to win some award. TCA needs to fold under or get some new talent because their work is just not appealing at all. Aesthetics. Aesthetics. Aesthetics. Something seriously lacking with TCA. I hope that somebody from the company is reading this forum because they need to know that THEY ARE HORRIBLE.
     
     
  #4683  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 1:08 AM
WonderlandPark's Avatar
WonderlandPark WonderlandPark is offline
Pacific Wonderland
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bi-Situational, Portland & L.A.
Posts: 4,127
just to pile on here:

This guy put more thought into his 4 story tower than TCA ever did to one of theirs

__________________
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com
     
     
  #4684  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 1:17 AM
brudy's Avatar
brudy brudy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
just to pile on here:

This guy put more thought into his 4 story tower than TCA ever did to one of theirs

It's the color palette for AVA!
     
     
  #4685  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 1:28 AM
caligrad's Avatar
caligrad caligrad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,845
^^^ LMAO ! you beat me to it ! Damnit Brudy ! HAHA
     
     
  #4686  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 4:15 AM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
If I can get over that way, I'll take some shots. The colors of AVA and the other one are pretty bad - worse than in the renderings. It looks very juvenile with the various colors, shapes, and signage..... I'm seriously bummed about this one because I love the location and had thought about moving there, but there's no way I'd live in that thing.
I notice that google has recently updated their street view map site, so there now are online images of dtla from as recently as 2 months ago. Ava as seen from google's cam does look noticeably tacky, & TCA's proj at Wilshire & LaBrea is even worse. however, I'd still welcome seeing continuous photo updates of what's going on in dtla, even more so since photos can give a different sense of what's going on. I'm also sure the sidewalk areas around Ava are in a more complete condition today than they were over 8 wks ago.

I remain amazed at how differently ppl filter things, based on their own sense of taste or aesthetics...or priorities. I remember once thinking that if you truly disliked things like Ava then combining that with your impression of the very rundown, very grubby, desolate sections of dtla....which is what I would consider much of the industrialized eastern side of dt to be, & which includes a good chunk of the arts district....would make LA in your eyes the worst of both worlds. It would be a double whammy to you. Yet you said you like the look and feel of that part of dt, which was described in more negative terms by quixote a few days ago.

the reason why I think far more ppl have a tough time warming up to LA isn't so much cuz its newer devlpt isn't better....as bad as TCA or similar projs are....but cuz its older sections give far more ppl a much more negative feeling. A clue of that being true is that it's not as though LA were treated like a crown jewel of the west coast well before the bad architecture of the past 30 yrs...much less past 5 yrs....had entered the scene.

As for the matter of the way that new devlpt in LA compares with new devlpt elsewhere, or a sense that the grass is greener on the other side of the hill. I know alki has implied on occasion that the quality of devlpt in his part of the west coast....in the PNW....is somehow better than what's found here in LA. I sort of bought into that assumption until I came across images of newer devlpt in Seattle....or things from around maybe 20 yrs ago....& then what I saw of one new highrise apt tower in particular that's currently going up, & shown in the the city compilations page for seattle....& I was surprised at how tacky such devlpt was.

There's a major concert hall in London that is honored as a fine example of early 1960s design by many Britishers. I personally think it looks cheap....it even has a big clunky sign on the top side of it that makes me think of what a person would see plastered to the side of a burban dept store. So even though I think their capital city is full of beautiful old devlpt, when it comes to newer things, their sense of good design & my sense of good design are at a loggerheads.

here's another example of how bad taste.....GOOFY taste, tacky taste!....TCA type of taste...exists far & wide. this is a famous sign that has existed outside a very important bldg of a city that has long been considered rather aesthetically pleasing. IOW, if something this bad....or this dorky.....can crop up there, it can crop up anywhere!


• Video Link



^ TG something like that isn't spinning around outside the somewhat new hdqrts of the LAPD at 1st & Spring sts.
     
     
  #4687  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 4:38 AM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,729
this is a review of the new restaurant in dt that is located at the base of the watermark tower, which replaced a former restaurant that didn't last more than a yr.....

Quote:

Cheryl A. Guerrero / Los Angeles Times


Cheryl A. Guerrero / Los Angeles Times


Cheryl A. Guerrero / Los Angeles Times


Toward the bottom of the financial district and a few short blocks from Staples Center, Faith & Flower is the latest grand restaurant downtown, convenient for the dude-bros flowing from the Convention Center and elegant enough for first dates, a logical destination for a dozen oysters and a glass of Champagne but also for a glass of Tramp Stamp ale and a late-night mushroom burger.

The future of Los Angeles cuisine may be forged in food trucks and experimental cafes, but Faith & Flower is enormous; giant, double-height dining rooms marching up the block. It is also fairly ornate, encrusted with wainscoting and swank wallpaper, wall treatments involving dozens of hand mirrors, candles and tractor-sized chandeliers trailing miles of gold chain. The water glasses resemble cut-glass goblets, and the heavy-handled silverware is of a sort that has been out of fashion at least since the 1950s. My colleague Jenn suggested that Faith & Flower feels like the world's biggest Anthropologie store, and she is not far wrong.

The notion of an idealized big-spender past is continued in the oyster bar, the low lounge tables that make up most of the seating and the wonderful cocktail program, which includes barrel-aged concoctions, clarified milk punches and tart crustas inspired by 19th century bar manuals, which is the equivalent of a chef taking most of his recipes straight from Escoffier. The wine list doesn't quite serve the current craze for biodynamic and natural wines but does include some interesting small-producer bottles from California and Austria alongside the expected big-name reds.

Michael Hung, the chef, comes from Roland Passot's La Folie, which is possibly the most resolutely French of San Francisco's Michelin-starred restaurants, more obsessed with duck and snails than with foraged chickweed. And his kitchen's strengths, oddly enough, lie with what might be considered modern cocktail snacks, the food you might want to consider chasing with a Dark and Stormy phosphate or an abstracted Manhattan. At its best, Hung's cooking at Faith & Flower has the same technique-intensive Asian edge you find with Roy Choi, Sang Yoon and Bryant Ng.

Is Faith & Flower redeemed by the charred, crisp carnitas pizza, whose tart salsa verde really does make the pizza seem like an antojitos platform in the school of the huarache? Will you be persuaded by pastry chef Indelisa Zarate's pistachio financier with cherries or dabs of Greek yogurt panna cotta with wild rice Rice Krispies? Is the house-fermented hot sauce with the littleneck clams enough? It is possible. And it is already impossible to imagine downtown without bartender Michael Lay's nutmeg-scented milk punch.

meanwhile, I'm disappointed that a well known, popular restaurant in nyc that was rumored to be considering a location on the ground level of the remodeled, revamped macys plaza instead will be sticking with the same old, same old, the tried & true of where LA's ppl & businesses with $$ started wandering off to over 40 or more yrs ago....


Quote:
Eataly, the multi-dimension market and food court that has been toying around with the city of L.A. with multiple proposed destinations, is finally arriving at the Westfield Century City some time in spring of 2017, reports Racked LA. It's all part of a $700M upgrade that the outdoor mall will receive that boasts 422,000 square feet of retail, including new restaurants and a swell outdoor plaza. The idea is to make the Westfield, "a landmark destination truly international in impact and scale." Well, an Eataly certainly helps with accomplishing that.

Eataly had originally planned to open an L.A. location in 2011 after launching the New York outlet in 2010, but the team, comprised of Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich, finally confirmed that the city of Angels would be one of Eataly's next destinations back in April. Does this location make sense for Eataly? Or would the Beverly Center or Downtown make better landing zones?
     
     
  #4688  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 4:42 AM
WonderlandPark's Avatar
WonderlandPark WonderlandPark is offline
Pacific Wonderland
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bi-Situational, Portland & L.A.
Posts: 4,127
I don't know what citywathc is smoking...New London Architecture is fantastic, I would kill for the high quality stuff London City is getting, always been a big fan of the British high tech movement. London is a stucco-free city. This city is nothing but cheap awful stucco. No real materials like well-done glass, steel, stone. (plenty of other US cities get it, see Minneapolis and its use of stone, Seattle uses wood and metal paneling on even their 6 story cheap apartment blocks) we get absolute 🞵🞵🞵🞵 here. LA used to be one of the innovation capitals of architecture now we lag so far behind London, NYC and whatnot. The grass is REALLY greener in London--that's because you have rain...and better contemporary architecture.
__________________
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com
     
     
  #4689  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 5:06 AM
Illithid Dude's Avatar
Illithid Dude Illithid Dude is offline
Paramoderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Monica / New York City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
I don't know what citywathc is smoking...New London Architecture is fantastic
I don't either. My guess is she isn't all there. My life has been exponentially better since I blocked her, and I think all of you should too.
     
     
  #4690  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 5:17 AM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
I don't know what citywathc is smoking...New London Architecture is fantastic, I would kill for the high quality stuff London City is getting,
wonderland, I never said that EVERYTHING in the newer sections of london is bad or tacky. I only said that examples of surprisingly bad architecture, esp involving what would be rather famous type of bldgs or locations in certain other cities, can be found even in cities that have an otherwise good image in terms of appearance or aesthetics.

I know the TOS rules of this thread are to avoid going into city vs city debates, but in order to understand how good or bad new devlpt is in dtla, it really will help to become more specific about what's going on here compared with what's going on elsewhere.....but esp if ppl are making new devlpt in LA sound so disappointing compared with what's being built elsewhere.

for instance, I'll post this pic of the major cultural bldg in london that I described previously....



wikimedia.org


^ that's to london what disney concert hall is to dtla. So ppl who are quick to razz LA about the quality of its newer devlpt had better be prepared to tell other cities....welcome to the club!

I'm also not totally sure what you mean that LA once was well known for being a capital of innovative design. but if your POV is correct, then how come LA has always been viewed either suspiciously or negatively by so many outsiders? iow, while you claim that the grass really is greener on the other side of the hill in 2014, you make it also sound like there once was more of that greenery on this side of the hill even when LA was being treated with a big sneer over 30 yrs ago by many ppl from the type of cities you admire, when all that innovation supposedly was taking place here.
     
     
  #4691  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 5:18 AM
Valyrian Steel's Avatar
Valyrian Steel Valyrian Steel is offline
:o
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 966
Someone should change this thread's title to "F*ck TCA | Project Rundown 5.0".
     
     
  #4692  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 5:27 AM
The Illusive Man's Avatar
The Illusive Man The Illusive Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The City of Champions! Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Someone should change this thread's title to "F*ck TCA | Project Rundown 5.0".
Agreed. Either that or close this thread all together. There really is no point to it. LA is clearly done. TCA is the present and the future.

It is what it is. Time to move on.
     
     
  #4693  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 5:33 AM
bjornson's Avatar
bjornson bjornson is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn NYC
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I'm also not totally sure what you mean that LA once was well known for being a capital of innovative design. but if your POV is correct, then how come LA has always been viewed either suspiciously or negatively by so many outsiders? iow, while you claim that the grass really is greener on the other side of the hill in 2014, you make it also sound like there once was more of that greenery on this side of the hill even when LA was being treated with a big sneer over 30 yrs ago by many ppl from the type of cities you admire, when all that innovation supposedly was taking place here.
It's the era L.A. came into city building. The post-war era specifically up until now. There weren't that many limitations as far as infrastructure or definitive vocabularies at the time. It's now taught in architectural, urban planning, and similar fields. Think about why two LA architects--Gehry and Mayne--would be awarded the Pritzker Prize. The prize is based off of a body of work with some theoretical dissertations in mind rather than a single building like some people confuse it with here.

L.A. is always viewed suspiciously in a lot of fields. I know a lot of people in the creative fields (especially art) who casually throw shade at it no matter what I say. Some people will believe whatever they perceive.

And I give up trying to win the aesthetics argument with you. It's always the same and contradictory.
__________________
"highrises are tall and shiny and expensive and city-like!!! I'm eternally happy our 4 sq miles of shiny highrises is finally getting more shiny neighbors!! If we can't actually be a real city, at least we can look like one in the postcards!!! LAMG, citywatch, bjornson, if you're listening, post more pictures and comments!" - edluva
     
     
  #4694  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 6:12 AM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornson View Post
L.A. is always viewed suspiciously in a lot of fields. I know a lot of people in the creative fields (especially art) who casually throw shade at it no matter what I say. Some people will believe whatever they perceive.

And I give up trying to win the aesthetics argument with you. It's always the same and contradictory.
win? I didn't realize it was a competition, bjornson. and I don't know how any discussion I have with you can be either the same or contradictory when I don't recall much of, or any, back & fro in postings I've had with you in the past.

The only slight recall I may have of what you're all about is your tagline, which mentions you & me in a comment from someone who I consider one of the worst of the anti LA trolls at ssp. Beyond someone like that, you're currently being too vague in the way you define what's good or bad about new devlpt in LA, but esp in dtla, so I don't know even know whether I agree or disagree with your stance on things.

however, it's interesting that you say alot of ppl you know in the creative fields throw, as you say, shade at LA. why? what's the cause of that? does it mean I'm equally critical of or actually quite positive about LA compared with ppl like that? Would your discussions with them be similar to or very different from the type of discussions you'll have with someone like me?

I'll end with just one thing: I think LA in some ways is better today....in 2014....than it was 40 or 60 yrs ago. In certain ways I think LA today is better than it has ever been in its entire history. So that's my general philosophy about the city overall, & you can either accept it or fling it out the front door.
     
     
  #4695  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:14 PM
brudy's Avatar
brudy brudy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ LMAO ! you beat me to it ! Damnit Brudy ! HAHA
Ha! We're just stating the obvious!
     
     
  #4696  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:16 PM
Wilcal Wilcal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yucaipa--LA exurban wasteland
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
TCA at the end of a project:
Brudy, what's missing from this photo is the over sized box of Crayons.
     
     
  #4697  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:24 PM
Wilcal Wilcal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yucaipa--LA exurban wasteland
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I don't either. My guess is she isn't all there. My life has been exponentially better since I blocked her, and I think all of you should too.
She, does seem to be a little repetitious doesn't she? You know, like beating a certain subject to death.
     
     
  #4698  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 4:05 PM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,729
^ Do you see the irony of your comment, wilcal? Do you even realize that?

meanwhile,

this is an interesting vid about one part of dtla that's changing....


• Video Link



the evolution of the culture & economics of dt is fascinating to behold. I just wish the time frame of the young girl whose grandfather owned a stall at GCM & is given alot of interview time could have been the time frame I was in when I was growing up.
     
     
  #4699  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 6:44 PM
ConstructDTLA's Avatar
ConstructDTLA ConstructDTLA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
I don't know what citywathc is smoking...New London Architecture is fantastic, I would kill for the high quality stuff London City is getting, always been a big fan of the British high tech movement. London is a stucco-free city. This city is nothing but cheap awful stucco. No real materials like well-done glass, steel, stone. (plenty of other US cities get it, see Minneapolis and its use of stone, Seattle uses wood and metal paneling on even their 6 story cheap apartment blocks) we get absolute 🞵🞵🞵🞵 here. LA used to be one of the innovation capitals of architecture now we lag so far behind London, NYC and whatnot. The grass is REALLY greener in London--that's because you have rain...and better contemporary architecture.
One of the most true statements I've seen on this thread.




Does somebody want to take a moment to call TCA and ask them to check out the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread?

http://tcaarchitects.com/contact/
__________________
     
     
  #4700  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 6:59 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
One of the most true statements I've seen on this thread.

Does somebody want to take a moment to call TCA and ask them to check out the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread?

http://tcaarchitects.com/contact/
Email them:

[email protected]

And be sure to provide them with a link to the comments from the Curbed LA article:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/06/he...tory_mixeduser_slated_for_south_park.php
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:08 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.