HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8321  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:44 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Yeah, and WOW, those big families of 3 or more kids are sooo plentiful in Western European Capitals or major cities.
I think there are many things to consider when making these decisons. I'm personally guilty of being a "burb" person. I have a .25 acre lot with an Ivory track house in the middle of the valley. I'm not even married nor have kids. I have a 3000 Sq foot house.. Overkill or investment?

Let's see. I have a dog that loves her yard, I love to garden, I love having a yard to play in. I have RV parking that is used. My streets are big and the lots are big.. Just the way I like it. I have all the shopping I need within 2 miles. 5 minutes from the freeway to the hills or anywhere I want to go..

It would be pretty hard to enjoy my lifestyle if I were downtown in a condo, appartment or townhouse or even a bungalo in the heart of SLC. Sure there are ways to compensate and manage but I wouldn't change a thing. When SL valley fills up, my big lot and house will be worth more than a comparable condo, just on land value alone..

I love development, density, planning and downtown but personally, living in downtown or even a high density development with houses on top of each other with no yard or place to put a boat is not for me. Great for starter homes, young professionals or wealthy-retired folks that don't want my lifestyle.

When I was a younger professional, I lived downtown and it was great.. Worked well.

It's all about lifestyle..
     
     
  #8322  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:54 PM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post

It's all about lifestyle..
It may be all about lifestyle, but it's also all about subsidies. The reason the market has created so much single family tract housing is because decades of subsidies have manipulated the market and created arbitrary economic advantages for it. I think a lot of people would start choosing a different lifestyle if the economic playing field between high and low density housing were leveled by ending various road, tax, mortgage, etc subsidies.
     
     
  #8323  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:03 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Believe me, I don't mean to sound too impertinent, but how many of you are married with three or more children, or are you single like me? Has it somehow escaped all those on the forum, who make similar comments that the Wasatch is the family capital of the world, particularly southern Salt Lake and Utah Counties. Why is it so difficult, even for a single person to understand the need for a family to own a single detached home? It's a no brainer that families are going to invest in a much bigger bang for the buck, especially along the metro of the nation's family capital.

Hey, if anyone is against the "Married with 3-plus kids" lifestyle, then say so. Believe me, I get and support the single option, etc. etc., but I also support those who enjoy having a husband/wife and multiple kids.

If any of you are married with 3 plus children, and live in a large urban center condo/apt. or comfortable home, without having to blow your budget into bankruptcy, then please tell use how you do it. Aside of course from the fact that you have a six figure income, or inherited the property from your folks.

From my own personal observations of my home town in Northern Utah County, the housing lot's have gotten much smaller, and the commercial nodes have become a lot closer. Even from my parents house we could now walk to just about every convenience necessary, from K-12 school to medical to grocery to clothing to office. Shopping and work excursions that use to take from a 20 to 45 plus minute drive, have been cut to 4 or 5 minutes.

My parent's comfortable starter home was on a quiet little country lane called Sugar St. A well connected friend advised them that if they wanted to continue with my Dad's growing business, they had better move out further to the country. They looked and looked at land in Draper and Alpine, and settled on a nice piece of acreage straddling the Highland/Alpine border. That quiet little Sugar St. soon became a very busy thoroughfare called 7200 South. That once quiet countryside became Fort Union's epicenter. Anyway, so my Mom worked in a supervisory position for the Federal Government for 25 years. That necessitated that she commute from the Alpine Highland area to Downtown Salt Lake. My Dad's occupation demanded a bit of open land. Today my Mom could drive on a beautiful, one of a kind parkway for a few brief minutes, park the car and hop the FrontRunner. She would absolutely love it! This, and still enjoy their dream of a family with kids and yard. Of course now, the yard would be much smaller, and a long list of recreational opportunities for the kids are all within easy walking and or bicycle reach. Also, my mom was one talented smart lady. She would have a cushy job at Adobe most likely, and wouldn't need to make the long commute. My parents would love FrontRunner and TRAX though. They loved trains/mass transit on the east coast. Whenever they visited my Dad's business associates in New York, they would make that commute from Jersey into Manhattan. They were very enthusiastic about how they could take a short hop from those beautiful surburban homes in Jersey, arrive at the train station, and within a very comfortable time be in the heart of Manhattan.
Married with two kids. Everybody else up and down our street has 4-5 kids and still popping them out. For me, I rather have fewer kids and still afford nicer things vs having too many and having to live on food stamps, cloths at D.I. Or help from the church. IMHO, I think a lot of people here have more kids then they can afford. And I was raised being the oldest of six and we were poor growing up. I don't want that for my two kids.
     
     
  #8324  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:36 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
It is all about lifestyle. Some lifestyles are indulgent and full of excess. Gluttons love to eat as much as they can. Doesn't make it healthy or right.
     
     
  #8325  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:38 PM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
It is all about lifestyle. Some lifestyles are indulgent and full of excess. Gluttons love to eat as much as they can. Doesn't make it healthy or right.
So, people who would like to live in a detached house with a yard in the burbs are gluttons. Got it.

Sheesh, people. There is more than one way here. The Urban lifestyle is not for everyone.
     
     
  #8326  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:52 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
You say that your lifestyle demands that you live in the burbs on your .25 acres, and while that may be your preference that same lifestyle can be easily accomplished in a city bungalow as well. I have three grocery stores within a mile of my home, as well as many convenience stores, restaurants, art galleries, restaurants, clothing stores and salons. I have space in my back yard for a dog, I have a large dog park across the street, that provides much more space to play than a back yard in the burbs, it also allows a dog to socialize with other dogs. I regularly host parties in my 950 sq ft main floor with a lot of people. The nice thing about a city neighborhood is that many neighbors don't complain about a little bit of noise. I regularly host late night gatherings that spill out into my yard and driveway and my neighbors are just fine with it. As for RV storage, yes that is a little harder to come by many homes do have enough space to accommodate that and if they don't that can easily be accomplished at a storage place .

My point is, that people that say I have to live in the burbs because of A, B and C is not based on facts, it's simply based on preference, or perceived facts. The same can be said for facts about living in an urban environment.
     
     
  #8327  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:53 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
So, people who would like to live in a detached house with a yard in the burbs are gluttons. Got it.

Sheesh, people. There is more than one way here. The Urban lifestyle is not for everyone.
Bingo.. To each their own.. "Excess" is a very broad brush stroke. Is someone who has made good investments a glutton?

I wouldn't begin to judge where others live based on my beliefs.
     
     
  #8328  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:59 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
You say that your lifestyle demands that you live in the burbs on your .25 acres, and while that may be your preference that same lifestyle can be easily accomplished in a city bungalow as well. I have three grocery stores within a mile of my home, as well as many convenience stores, restaurants, art galleries, restaurants, clothing stores and salons. I have space in my back yard for a dog, I have a large dog park across the street, that provides much more space to play than a back yard in the burbs, it also allows a dog to socialize with other dogs. I regularly host parties in my 950 sq ft main floor with a lot of people. The nice thing about a city neighborhood is that many neighbors don't complain about a little bit of noise. I regularly host late night gatherings that spill out into my yard and driveway and my neighbors are just fine with it. As for RV storage, yes that is a little harder to come by many homes do have enough space to accommodate that and if they don't that can easily be accomplished at a storage place .

My point is, that people that say I have to live in the burbs because of A, B and C is not based on facts, it's simply based on preference, or perceived facts.
I don't recall saying I have to live in the burbs or my lifestyle demands it.. I believe I said I chose to..
     
     
  #8329  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 7:09 PM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
I don't recall saying I have to live in the burbs or my lifestyle demands it.. I believe I said I chose to..
Exactly. There are many things that factor in to where one wants to live. It's not just a back yard (obviously you can find a place in an urban area). Schools, crime, job location, family, cost.... there are lot's of variables.
     
     
  #8330  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 7:32 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Exactly. There are many things that factor in to where one wants to live. It's not just a back yard (obviously you can find a place in an urban area). Schools, crime, job location, family, cost.... there are lot's of variables.
I think I have the best of both worlds. I work downtown and enjoy the urban professional scene that comes with it not to mention the entertainment. It's nice to walk around the city for everything. I take Trax daily..

But at the end of the day, I like spreading my wings in the burbs.. A nice balance for me..
     
     
  #8331  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 8:52 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
The problem with a great deal of the logic in this thread is that it's under a false narrative. No one is saying suburban Salt Lake should mirror Manhattan. Guess what, guys, Salt Lake City, probably the most urban city in the entire state, is still mostly single-family detached housing. Most cities, beyond the cluster of the more urban, older historic centers, throughout the United States consist of single-family detached dwellings.

Salt Lake's two most popular neighborhoods - the Avenues and SugarHouse - are not dense, apartment filled areas that lack single-family homes. But they're infinitely more urban than 90% of suburban Salt Lake because of the way the neighborhoods were developed 60-plus years ago.

And that is the difference/problem. There's nothing wrong with a suburb. There is, however, something wrong with sprawl and, unfortunately, that's what still dominates much of the development around this state.

Sadly, people don't have any problem with it. You see it in this thread. Here, on a forum mostly designed to discuss urban living and development, you have individuals excusing it away as a lifestyle and this is America! If someone wants to live in a gigantic house in a sprawling suburb and drive their SUV every place they go, by god, they should have that right! If that's the mindset of supposed urban enthusiasts, what hope is there with other average folks who don't give two shits about urban design?

The mindset so many people employ is destructive. It's killing our cities. Hell, look how long it took Salt Lake City to bounce back from that mindset - 30 years? And we're still not quite at the level the city was before everyone ditched city living for the wide-open suburbs.

You know, the problem isn't that people don't want to live in the inner-city. I get that. It's that no one wants to take the initiative to dictate smarter growth and instead embrace sprawl and then dismiss the legitimate criticisms about that lifestyle.

Sprawl should not be accepted and embraced and dismissed as just another lifestyle choice. It's damaging our cities, it's eating up our land, it's isolating our communities and, yes, I believe it's having an impact on our overall health - both through pollution and a lack of overall activity because no one walks anywhere anymore.

You know, when I was a kid growing up in Salt Lake, I walked everywhere. My parents owned ONE CAR. During the summer, if I wanted to do anything, I had to walk because my dad was always at work. So, what'd we do? We walked. We walked to the store. We walked to the bakery. We walked to the park. We walked to the movies. We walked to a friend's house. We rode our bikes down to Liberty Park. We would take the bus into downtown and spend all day there.

How many kids in suburban Salt Lake, beyond the length of the older suburbs, can do that today? There are pockets, to be sure, but I'd wager, for a great deal of people living in Draper, Sandy, West Jordan, South Jordan and Herriman, probably don't have near the options because the development patterns absolutely stunted that possibility.

If you live in a maze of suburban sprawl, where you have to walk through a mess of concrete subdivisions just to reach the outlet, something that could take 20 minutes for a great deal of people, then walk down a busy highway, or underdeveloped road, to reach any sensible retail area that offers half of what I mentioned above, you're probably going to be discouraged. Who wants to do that?

So, not only are we using up a lot more land than we should, our cities are less walkable than they were 50 years ago, and because of that, people are forced to drive more. That creates pollution. It leads to ugly strip-malls and a substantial amount of more parking. Of course, you need busy roads and even busier highways to lead into these retail areas, which, obviously, discourages even more people from walking. So, there really is no point to having any of these businesses engage in any street interaction because no one is walking here, anyway. Let's build 'em in a sea of parking.

Brilliant!

What's that give us? Ugly, car-oriented development that adds hardly any character to any of these suburban communities. They're not very visually appealing. There is really no sense of community because there really is no identity.

But that's okay. Personal freedom! Who care if we don't have an infinite amount of space? Who cares if the gobs of parking is unappealing and forces more and more people to abandon any hope of walking?

Look, you don't have to give up your suburban living to live smartly. The fact thousands of people have raised families in Salt Lake City, either the Avenues, Central City, SugarHouse or even on the westside, proves this. No, I'm not demanding you all move into SLC and I realize, as I've seen it firsthand, how unaffordable it can be. But that doesn't excuse suburbs from not having regulations in place to develop some semblance of a walkable city. Sandy, West Jordan, Draper, South Jordan, Herriman and beyond (going into Utah County, where it's even worse) lack this.

You can get the suburban life but also live in walkable communities that don't force residents to drive everywhere, or at least, when they are forced to drive, are given options closer to their porch so they're not driving as much.

Even if I have to drive somewhere in my neighborhood, I guarantee you, on the whole, my options are going to be closer than people who live in a subdivision isolated from the rest of the city.

That shouldn't be acceptable and dismissed as a lifestyle choice. We're better than that and sadly, even after we've witnessed a huge uptick in pollution, more and more population growth and less and less land, we're still set in our ways.

This lifestyle is not sustainable.
     
     
  #8332  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 9:19 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
     
     
  #8333  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 9:33 PM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,616
Bingo.

And what happens to some of these communities when the people leave?

Utah certainly doesn't have the same problems that some areas have. Arguably the Mormon culture does lead to a larger sense of community for a lot of people here, and we don't have to worry too much about gang recruitment or even crime. But there are neighborhoods like this around the country, where they're dying because the insane gas prices forced everybody to sell their houses because they were miles from jobs and everything else, and now they've become prime recruitment areas for gangs and perfect locations for robberies and other crime, because who's around to stop it from happening, and what kind of social interaction is there for children besides sitting in their house or bumming around on the streets doing nothing, because there's nothing around for the kids to do?

These huge exurban communities are going to become much more dangerous. It's already beginning.

There's nothing wrong with single-family detached houses. I grew up in an east side neighborhood that was still within easy walking or at least busing distance of just about everything I could ever want, but the neighborhood was still detached houses or sometimes duplexes with lawns, very quiet, a good community, never had to worry about crime, a huge park nearby, etc. These neighborhoods can certainly still exist, but they have to be balanced by denser development and a plethora of commercial and job options close by.

The key is not to concentrate all the commercial development in one downtown area, the key is to create jobs and stores within walking or at least easy transit distance of every neighborhood, and encourage people to walk much more often.

You can also have amenities such as a lawn and garden in denser communities. It's not exclusive to big suburban houses. It just takes creative thinking from the developers, which unfortunately is still in too short of supply.
     
     
  #8334  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 9:54 PM
RosePark's Avatar
RosePark RosePark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 168
I agree that the issue is sprawl and the way these developments are laid out. My sister lives in one such development in West Jordan. You can see her kid's school from the back porch, but to walk there takes 25 minutes. You have to wind your way thru the development to get to the little portal to get out then go clear back towards the school. Part of the walk is on the side of a 6 lane street that feels like you are on the side of a freeway. This is not smart development.

Even if you wanted to walk to the store or a restaurant, what are your options? Generic offerings like Chili's, Wal-Mart, or some other chain not worth mentioning?

You get what you pay for out there too. The houses are poor quality and I'd be surprised if they last more than 25 years.
     
     
  #8335  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 10:13 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Yeah, and WOW, those big families of 3 or more kids are sooo plentiful in Western European Capitals or major cities.
Puts less stress on their environment.
     
     
  #8336  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 10:20 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Comrade, you put all of that perfectly. Thank you.

RosePark, in West Jordan and West Valley, you can't walk anywhere. The school situation is a perfect example of "close by car, far far far by foot".

I've noticed how much grey sprawl has created. Grey roads, grey side walks, grey parking lots, grey buildings. Driving, I realized that 98% of what I could see outside was washed out grey. It's really depressing. Such a Lack of Color.

I feel isolated in my house in those cities. I like SLC because I can actually get somewhere without driving. And while I'm walking, THERE'S COLOR! And wow, there are local businesses! Not just Walmarts and Chilli's on every stripmall lot.
     
     
  #8337  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 10:51 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
The problem with a great deal of the logic in this thread is that it's under a false narrative. No one is saying suburban Salt Lake should mirror Manhattan. Guess what, guys, Salt Lake City, probably the most urban city in the entire state, is still mostly single-family detached housing. Most cities, beyond the cluster of the more urban, older historic centers, throughout the United States consist of single-family detached dwellings.

Salt Lake's two most popular neighborhoods - the Avenues and SugarHouse - are not dense, apartment filled areas that lack single-family homes. But they're infinitely more urban than 90% of suburban Salt Lake because of the way the neighborhoods were developed 60-plus years ago.

And that is the difference/problem. There's nothing wrong with a suburb. There is, however, something wrong with sprawl and, unfortunately, that's what still dominates much of the development around this state.

Sadly, people don't have any problem with it. You see it in this thread. Here, on a forum mostly designed to discuss urban living and development, you have individuals excusing it away as a lifestyle and this is America! If someone wants to live in a gigantic house in a sprawling suburb and drive their SUV every place they go, by god, they should have that right! If that's the mindset of supposed urban enthusiasts, what hope is there with other average folks who don't give two shits about urban design?

The mindset so many people employ is destructive. It's killing our cities. Hell, look how long it took Salt Lake City to bounce back from that mindset - 30 years? And we're still not quite at the level the city was before everyone ditched city living for the wide-open suburbs.

You know, the problem isn't that people don't want to live in the inner-city. I get that. It's that no one wants to take the initiative to dictate smarter growth and instead embrace sprawl and then dismiss the legitimate criticisms about that lifestyle.

Sprawl should not be accepted and embraced and dismissed as just another lifestyle choice. It's damaging our cities, it's eating up our land, it's isolating our communities and, yes, I believe it's having an impact on our overall health - both through pollution and a lack of overall activity because no one walks anywhere anymore.

You know, when I was a kid growing up in Salt Lake, I walked everywhere. My parents owned ONE CAR. During the summer, if I wanted to do anything, I had to walk because my dad was always at work. So, what'd we do? We walked. We walked to the store. We walked to the bakery. We walked to the park. We walked to the movies. We walked to a friend's house. We rode our bikes down to Liberty Park. We would take the bus into downtown and spend all day there.

How many kids in suburban Salt Lake, beyond the length of the older suburbs, can do that today? There are pockets, to be sure, but I'd wager, for a great deal of people living in Draper, Sandy, West Jordan, South Jordan and Herriman, probably don't have near the options because the development patterns absolutely stunted that possibility.

If you live in a maze of suburban sprawl, where you have to walk through a mess of concrete subdivisions just to reach the outlet, something that could take 20 minutes for a great deal of people, then walk down a busy highway, or underdeveloped road, to reach any sensible retail area that offers half of what I mentioned above, you're probably going to be discouraged. Who wants to do that?

So, not only are we using up a lot more land than we should, our cities are less walkable than they were 50 years ago, and because of that, people are forced to drive more. That creates pollution. It leads to ugly strip-malls and a substantial amount of more parking. Of course, you need busy roads and even busier highways to lead into these retail areas, which, obviously, discourages even more people from walking. So, there really is no point to having any of these businesses engage in any street interaction because no one is walking here, anyway. Let's build 'em in a sea of parking.

Brilliant!

What's that give us? Ugly, car-oriented development that adds hardly any character to any of these suburban communities. They're not very visually appealing. There is really no sense of community because there really is no identity.

But that's okay. Personal freedom! Who care if we don't have an infinite amount of space? Who cares if the gobs of parking is unappealing and forces more and more people to abandon any hope of walking?

Look, you don't have to give up your suburban living to live smartly. The fact thousands of people have raised families in Salt Lake City, either the Avenues, Central City, SugarHouse or even on the westside, proves this. No, I'm not demanding you all move into SLC and I realize, as I've seen it firsthand, how unaffordable it can be. But that doesn't excuse suburbs from not having regulations in place to develop some semblance of a walkable city. Sandy, West Jordan, Draper, South Jordan, Herriman and beyond (going into Utah County, where it's even worse) lack this.

You can get the suburban life but also live in walkable communities that don't force residents to drive everywhere, or at least, when they are forced to drive, are given options closer to their porch so they're not driving as much.

Even if I have to drive somewhere in my neighborhood, I guarantee you, on the whole, my options are going to be closer than people who live in a subdivision isolated from the rest of the city.

That shouldn't be acceptable and dismissed as a lifestyle choice. We're better than that and sadly, even after we've witnessed a huge uptick in pollution, more and more population growth and less and less land, we're still set in our ways.

This lifestyle is not sustainable.

Honest question. How much of this do you practice yourself? How often are you driving around creating pollution?

I do agree with you on the city impacts of sprawl.
     
     
  #8338  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 10:53 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Bingo.
...Arguably the Mormon culture does lead to a larger sense of community for a lot of people here, and we don't have to worry too much about gang recruitment or even crime...
You know what they say: most people join a church for social reasons, which is why religion thrives in suburbia. It is one of the only ways those who live in suburbia can have some sense of community in an environment that is not built to facilitate everyday human interaction. But many of the religious communities are judgmental and not very inclusive of natural human diversity, which does nothing to help community, and can make it a mentally unhealthy environment for all residents. Unhealthy for those who don't fit the group mentality, and unhealthy for those who are part of the group mentality.
     
     
  #8339  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 11:44 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
Comrade, you put all of that perfectly. Thank you.

RosePark, in West Jordan and West Valley, you can't walk anywhere. The school situation is a perfect example of "close by car, far far far by foot".

I've noticed how much grey sprawl has created. Grey roads, grey side walks, grey parking lots, grey buildings. Driving, I realized that 98% of what I could see outside was washed out grey. It's really depressing. Such a Lack of Color.

I feel isolated in my house in those cities. I like SLC because I can actually get somewhere without driving. And while I'm walking, THERE'S COLOR! And wow, there are local businesses! Not just Walmarts and Chilli's on every stripmall lot.
Salt Lake and the daybreak development are both examples of walkable communities that offer something for everyone, density through condos and apartments or houses with yards. The issue I see in Utah is in too many communities only the single detached home is acceptable. In South Jordan residents are freaking out about adding more high density to the area (because it brings "undesirables" aka non LDS/non white or a democrat) and in Provo they fight a much needed BRT because transit is anti-family blah blah blah. Most western and southern cities in the U.S. are guilty of sprawl but most of those cities don't have the geographic limitations and winter inversions that Utah has. That is why the pushback given to many residents to any type of development other than single family homes is a potential problem. Area leaders are pushing for more TOD's etc, but too many are fighting progress as well, which in Utah will have serious consequences.
     
     
  #8340  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:07 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
Honest question. How much of this do you practice yourself? How often are you driving around creating pollution?

I do agree with you on the city impacts of sprawl.
Notice I never said people shouldn't drive. That isn't the point. It's to provide options so that people don't have to drive all the time and when they do have to drive, it's a limited amount. Unless we promote an even denser type of living, something similar to New York and European cities, driving is always going to be an unfortunate option.

The thing is, I don't need to drive most places unless it's to get out to the suburbs to visit family (and some friends) - and work (sadly, I do work in WVC, so...).

But I mostly ride my bike when I'm out and about. I live maybe a mile from the heart of SugarHouse. I take 27th down to Highland and Highland into the neighborhood. There, I've got plenty of options without the need to drive. Plus, now that the street car has been built not terribly far from my front door, I can easily travel into downtown now without the need to drive to a TRAX stop.

Even if I did drive, like to the store, my neighborhood is so centralized, as is the case with most SLC neighborhoods (though, to be fair, and much to my disappointment, some of SLC is disappointingly unwalkable - namely the area east of Foothill and the extreme western portions of the city, which developed in the 70s and 80s to county the sprawl in the southern part of the valley), that I'm not driving all that far.

People need to drive. I have no problem with that. But the walkable options should be more plentiful in the suburbs, and the distance shouldn't be as long as it is.

I mean, it's already been pointed out in this thread. A great deal of people might literally live next to their school, but because the suburb is a maze of streets, they can't just walk to it - they have to walk through a labyrinth just to get out of the suburb. That isn't the case for everyone, obviously, but it's a large problem.

Where things go south in the suburbs is that any aspect of the grid has been done away with. Salt Lake is walkable a great deal because its on a grid system. To get from Point A (house) to Point B (major park, school, market, movies, retail), you pretty much just have to walk out your door, down a street or two and you're there. For many in suburbia, there's far more points from Point A to the final destination.

That inflates the overall problem.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:38 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.