HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7981  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 5:53 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by slc801 View Post
I noticed that the governor has yet to sign HB 356, the law that allows for a convention center hotel. Today is the deadline to sign or veto any laws. Am I correct in that if he doesn't sign it by today, but doesn't veto it, it becomes law? You can see all the bills that have passed and been signed here: http://le.utah.gov/asp/passedbills/passedbills.asp


All that by today???? There are more bills than seconds left in the day!!
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #7982  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:03 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post


All that by today???? There are more bills than seconds left in the day!!
Why is the Gov waiting til the 11th hour and the 59th minute so to speak to sign all these bill including the CCH bill that should of been signed by now? God, why do we waste so much time when it comes with development.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #7983  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:04 PM
tygr tygr is offline
Development Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post


All that by today???? There are more bills than seconds left in the day!!
Only the ones that don't have GSIGN and a date in the last two columns are ones he hasn't acted on.
__________________
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight, but no vision.
—Helen Keller
     
     
  #7984  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:23 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by slc801 View Post
I noticed that the governor has yet to sign HB 356, the law that allows for a convention center hotel. Today is the deadline to sign or veto any laws. Am I correct in that if he doesn't sign it by today, but doesn't veto it, it becomes law? You can see all the bills that have passed and been signed here: http://le.utah.gov/asp/passedbills/passedbills.asp
This is correct. If he doesn't veto it, it will automatically become law. It is done that way in case the Governor likes a bill but for political reasoning just doesn't want to sign it.

I would still like him to sign it but as long as he doesn't veto it, come 12:00.01am, the bill is law and the rolling ball picks up speed.
     
     
  #7985  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:09 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
This is correct. If he doesn't veto it, it will automatically become law. It is done that way in case the Governor likes a bill but for political reasoning just doesn't want to sign it.

I would still like him to sign it but as long as he doesn't veto it, come 12:00.01am, the bill is law and the rolling ball picks up speed.
Has anyone heard any feedback regarding the Gov's stance on this the past few years? And more importantly, how he viewed the recent changed bill? I would think we would have heard some fireworks from him by now if he wasn't behind this.
     
     
  #7986  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:59 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
I wish Salt Lake was as urban minded as Calgary Canada, or even half as urban minded. The City is just over 1 million and the Metro is just over 1.2 million people. With the population Calgary has it has a skyline comparable to Seattle, which is much larger.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208815
     
     
  #7987  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 9:31 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I wish Salt Lake was as urban minded as Calgary Canada, or even half as urban minded. The City is just over 1 million and the Metro is just over 1.2 million people. With the population Calgary has it has a skyline comparable to Seattle, which is much larger.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208815
Agree 100% with you message. Amazing what they've done with a smaller metro I think Seattle is a good comparsion as well as Denver.

Calgary:


Seattle:



Denver:
     
     
  #7988  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 9:45 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Gotta love these reminders of just how far behind Salt Lake City is.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #7989  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 10:12 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Gotta love these reminders of just how far behind Salt Lake City is.
I think after CCH, 111 and 145, SLC will start to look a bit better. We are light years behind some cities but I think we're in a good pattern now starting with 222.

I just wish someone would crack this 30 story ceiling we have going on.
     
     
  #7990  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 10:35 PM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Gotta love these reminders of just how far behind Salt Lake City is.
I think some of this is really cultural. The four cities I've been to in Canada; Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Windsor (Windsor is right next to Detroit) All trend to living closer. The Urban sprawl that we do in the US just doesn't happen as much in Canada. I think some of that is how the cities are set up (Less Freeways) in fact I think freeways are the number one reason Canadian cities do not sprawl as much as US cities. Almost all the cities in the US were growing Urban centers until we started building the freeway systems.

Another reason a city like Calgary would have a much better Downtown then us is the money that is flowing through that city. Calgary is an energy town for the Canadian Oil fields. More money, more people, more jobs, more buildings.

Lets face it, as cool of a city Salt Lake is and what it brings. It does not have enough money to grow like Denver, Seattle or a city that is closer to SLC, Austin. This is changing, especially with Goldman's coming here but to see a building bonanza that we all want like Austin we will need several big money companies that we do not have now.

This is the number one reason we may never get an NFL team. We do not have enough Corporate money. It's never about how many fans you bring in (although that always helps) it's about how many high dollar businesses they can get to buy the expensive seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
I think after CCH, 111 and 145, SLC will start to look a bit better. We are light years behind some cities but I think we're in a good pattern now starting with 222.

I just wish someone would crack this 30 story ceiling we have going on.
I agree. With the next few buildings that will/could/might go up. Downtown will have that denser fell that we all wish for.
__________________
"Oh, now we see the violence in the system"
     
     
  #7991  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:18 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
I think after CCH, 111 and 145, SLC will start to look a bit better. We are light years behind some cities but I think we're in a good pattern now starting with 222.

I just wish someone would crack this 30 story ceiling we have going on.
True, those three or four ( if CCH is two towers ) towers will do wonders to the skyline. Each day I keep asking myself......"when are we going to see another tower boom in Salt Lake?", much like what we saw back during the 80's. But then I take a step back and think......we kind of already are......

222 South Main 2009
99 west 2011
The Regent 2011
Courthouse 2014

Follow by.....

111 South Main 2016
145 State 2016-ish?
CCH 2017 ( according to Ben McAdams. )
The Cascade ????

We could be looking at 8 new towers of 10+ stories within ten years ( 2009-2019 ) And if I''m starting the floor count at 10 stories I could also throw in......Richard Court East building and West Building as well as La Pointe that I hope finishes before 2020 that are each 10 stories also. For Salt Lake, that's freaking amazing.

But is it wrong that I still want more?
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #7992  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:26 PM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
True, those three or four ( if CCH is two towers ) towers will do wonders to the skyline. Each day I keep asking myself......"when are we going to see another tower boom in Salt Lake?", much like what we saw back during the 80's. But then I take a step back and think......we kind of already are......

222 South Main 2009
99 west 2011
The Regent 2011
Courthouse 2014

Follow by.....

111 South Main 2016
145 State 2016-ish?
CCH 2017 ( according to Ben McAdams. )
The Cascade ????

We could be looking at 8 new towers of 10+ stories within ten years ( 2009-2019 ) And if I''m starting the floor count at 10 stories I could also throw in......Richard Court East building and West Building as well as La Pointe that I hope finishes before 2020 that are each 10 stories also. For Salt Lake, that's freaking amazing.

But is it wrong that I still want more?
You must drink Dr. Pepper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKoj2JNl4qE
__________________
"Oh, now we see the violence in the system"
     
     
  #7993  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:40 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
As an avid drinker and enthusiast of Dr. Pepper, I can vouch for Projects.

But seriously, I too am hopeful for SLC. But yeah, it is a little heartbreaking to see smaller cities that have denser downtowns than Salt Lake. We'll get there.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #7994  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:50 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I want it all!!!

I joke at times that Spider Man won't do too well here in Salt Lake. You know, running out of towers to swing from awhile trying to catch up to the get-away car that when it leaves Main Street or South Temple he ( Spider Man ) would have to chase by foot.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #7995  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 12:01 AM
SaltCityScrapers's Avatar
SaltCityScrapers SaltCityScrapers is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SLC
Posts: 53
I visited Calgary in 1980. It's skyline in 1980 would dwarf present day Salt Lake City. It's in an entirely different league: the third largest city in Canada and the headquarters for all the big oil up there. Wikipedia classifies it as a "global city", meaning a city with global impact. Denver or even San Francisco is fairer comparison.

Apples and oranges, SLC and Calgary...just sayin'...
     
     
  #7996  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 12:27 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltCityScrapers View Post
I visited Calgary in 1980. It's skyline in 1980 would dwarf present day Salt Lake City. It's in an entirely different league: the third largest city in Canada and the headquarters for all the big oil up there. Wikipedia classifies it as a "global city", meaning a city with global impact. Denver or even San Francisco is fairer comparison.

Apples and oranges, SLC and Calgary...just sayin'...
Agreed. Calgary is a major Canadian city. Salt Lake isn't even the most major city in its region.

But we are woefully behind a great deal of American cities in developing sustainable urban living - including cities we're arguably just as big as.
     
     
  #7997  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 1:33 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
This is correct. If he doesn't veto it, it will automatically become law. It is done that way in case the Governor likes a bill but for political reasoning just doesn't want to sign it.

I would still like him to sign it but as long as he doesn't veto it, come 12:00.01am, the bill is law and the rolling ball picks up speed.
Well we don't have to wait for that. The governor finally signed it.
     
     
  #7998  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 1:44 AM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by slc801 View Post
Well we don't have to wait for that. The governor finally signed it.
__________________
"Oh, now we see the violence in the system"
     
     
  #7999  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:22 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
My thoughts exactly.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #8000  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 1:49 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Just another thought about Comic Con's affect on the SLC market. I noticed this morning in the Trib. that Nathan Fillion has been booked, which is a major deal for these events. I'm thinking there are a lot of people with time and money on their hands who would frequent this convention. Flying in from out of town, so they can be up close and personal with an major sci fi icon and popular star like Fillion would seem a given.


Sci-fi and ‘Castle’ star Nathan Fillion coming to FanX
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/57765007-223/fillion-salt-lake-nathan.html.csp

.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:07 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.