HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


    MNP Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #861  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 10:25 PM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
He didn't say it would be a new tallest, but that it would for sure be a new tallest office at least.
they can make it the tallest by adding some residential floors.
__________________
RESPECT FOR EVERYONE
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #862  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 11:38 PM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
they can make it the tallest by adding some residential floors.
I wish we didn't have to do that. I'd really like Vancouver to transition into a more corporate vibe. The high priced condos everywhere really make me feel like I'm living in a resort city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #863  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 11:52 PM
phesto phesto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: yvr/bwi
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
A friend of mine who used to work closely with Brookfield told me that there is already a plan in the works for a 3rd tower of the Royal Centre, at the intersection of Burrard and Georgia. He didn't say it would be a new tallest, but that it would for sure be a new tallest office at least.
The previous plan has been posted on here before; it was 26 storeys. While it may have been revised since then, it is not likely to ever become a site for the tallest office building in the City - there is a view cone on the site, and the footprint is quite small.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #864  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 11:58 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,768
Off topic -
How about on the Hyatt's ballroom (maybe even straddling the lane and sharing part of 1075 W Georgia's parkade)?
The view cone is a bit higher to the west @ about 475 ft.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #865  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 11:58 PM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
The previous plan has been posted on here before; it was 26 storeys. While it may have been revised since then, it is not likely to ever become a site for the tallest office building in the City - there is a view cone on the site, and the footprint is quite small.
There's a view cone on every site. While I am still fighting an internal struggle as to whether I agree with them or not, I honestly believe sooner or later they'll be scrapper. There's just too much money and economic development involved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #866  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 12:27 AM
EdinVan EdinVan is offline
EdInVan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sodom and Gomorrah
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
The high priced condos everywhere really make me feel like I'm living in a resort city.
That's because this is, unfortunately, a resort city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #867  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 12:34 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
That's because this is, unfortunately, a resort city.
Yep, but a balance can still be reached. Los Angeles has done it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #868  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 12:35 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
That's because this is, unfortunately, a resort city.
True, and it's not gaining much corporate power either, other than the Telus HQ and such. In terms of economy, as everyone knows,
just look at Seattle and there's a city with an economy. I don't know what could diversify and empower Vancouver economically,
but that's what it needs before it can break out of being a city for people who already have a lot of money.(like a resort, as stated above).
Somethin's gotta give, and economic diversification seems the way to do it.
How? Let the experts weigh in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #869  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:20 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,022
Just going to say I love this tower and I can't wait to see it in person next time I am in Vancouver.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #870  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:22 AM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,725
Welcome back Metro-One. Nice to see you around here again.

I think the MNP tower is turning out to be a stunner. 'Very pleased with it. What we ended up with is such an improvement over the original hexagonal or octagonal design; one of the times the UDP really got it right and insisted that the Marine Building deserved a better neighbour.
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #871  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 5:44 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Welcome back Metro-One. Nice to see you around here again.

I think the MNP tower is turning out to be a stunner. 'Very pleased with it. What we ended up with is such an improvement over the original hexagonal or octagonal design; one of the times the UDP really got it right and insisted that the Marine Building deserved a better neighbour.
Wow, I forgot that this was a redesign! And to think I was excited for the original, this one seems like it will turn out spectacularly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #872  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:27 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Wow, I forgot that this was a redesign! And to think I was excited for the original, this one seems like it will turn out spectacularly.
I would be curious to know if there is anyone who distinctly does not like The MNP Tower!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #873  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 9:39 AM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
There's a view cone on every site. While I am still fighting an internal struggle as to whether I agree with them or not, I honestly believe sooner or later they'll be scrapper. There's just too much money and economic development involved.
Don't struggle anymore. Just reject this archaic policy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #874  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 9:49 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Don't struggle anymore. Just reject this archaic policy.
Absolutely !! To arms !! But just through what public process?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #875  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:05 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
That's because this is, unfortunately, a resort city.
Not many resort towns that have 45 million square feet of office space... but then again I guess were just making defeatist statements so lets not let the facts get in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Just going to say I love this tower and I can't wait to see it in person next time I am in Vancouver.
Where in the world have you been?? Welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I would be curious to know if there is anyone who distinctly does not like The MNP Tower!
Dleung. He hates everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #876  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:37 PM
phesto phesto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: yvr/bwi
Posts: 2,699
Apparently there will be announcement soon about who is going into the restaurant space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #877  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 5:08 PM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
Hopefully it isn't a chain.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #878  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:03 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,747
I think the resort city label is kind of outdated. I mean, it was used in a thread ABOUT an UC office building .
While it's no Calgary at the moment, Metro Vancouver is building a good amount of office space. Far more than a resort city would require.

And yeah, MNP is a wonderful addition to DT Vancouver.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #879  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:11 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I think the resort city label is kind of outdated. I mean, it was used in a thread ABOUT an UC office building .
While it's no Calgary at the moment, Metro Vancouver is building a good amount of office space. Far more than a resort city would require.

And yeah, MNP is a wonderful addition to DT Vancouver.
Yeah, you guys are probably right. A big part of it is how much office space we have in other nodes throughout the metro, which is something I actually support, but makes the main skyline seem smaller which leads to perceptions like the resort thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #880  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:45 AM
EdinVan EdinVan is offline
EdInVan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sodom and Gomorrah
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Not many resort towns that have 45 million square feet of office space... but then again I guess were just making defeatist statements so lets not let the facts get in the way.
Yes, we're well-known as a thriving business centre.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:15 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.