Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey
To ask if they've done CBA is almost an insult to the people they've paid so much to do CBA.
|
And to ask if wizards exist is an insult to wizards, which is even worse; wizards will turn you into a toad if you cross them. But talking in a huff about wizards doesn't make them real. I've never seen cost-benefit analysis done for any provincial transportation project in Calgary, including any inch of the ring road. I know that costs have been estimated and volumes forecast, but I don't believe costs have ever been compared to benefits nor have provincial transportation projects been evaluated against equivalent spending on municipal projects, which is the real issue that should be evaluated and hasn't.
A series of Google searches produces more provincial documentation on cost-benefit analysis for BSE testing on cattle than on transportation projects. I'd be grateful if you could produce such a report, or any evidence beyond innuendo that such a report has ever existed. I'm not alone, either:
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Mayor Nenshi
“There’s no question that the ring road will have exceptional benefits and I’m very happy about it, but it is interesting that it was never been weighed, as far as I know, against other transportation priorities.”
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG
This is the most interesting comment of the article, is Markusoff accurate?
"The last major public evaluation of the ring dates from 1974"
A quick search suggests that Calgary's population was ~430,000 in 1974. That's a lot of public that didn't exist at the time to be part of the debate on whether a SW ring road is the best public investment. Not to mention the technology and demographic shifts of the past 40 years that have changed the options and way that that the city can develop which didn't exist in 1974.
|
I wouldn't be surprised if the last comparison that traded off this freeway versus other transportation projects in Calgary was that old -- and in 1974 the ring road went through what is now Nose Hill Park as an example of how much the city has changed. All the City work I know of going back to Go Plan (20 years ago) assumed that the road was a thing that would be built by the province at some point once a deal had been made with the Tsuu T'ina in the provincially designated ring road corridor. I don't think any study has been done in that time looking specifically at what could be done with the SW ring road not on the table as an eventuality.
Note that this isn't the same as no studies having been done -- they have, within the last 10 years, including public information sessions, etc. But the tenor has always been "we're building this road; do we want express lanes through this section? we're building this road; which movements at this interchange should be flyovers?", and done with a primary eye towards developing a maximum transportation corridor for negotiations with the Tsuu T'ina.
For $5B, we could probably build not only the Green line, but also the Stephen Ave Subway. I would be shocked if the residents of Calgary as a whole chose to spend $5B on a freeway with very limited benefits versus spending the same money on city-wide transit improvements that could benefit all four quadrants. Honestly, I don't even think the SW quadrant as a whole would pick the SWRR. But there are communities who would prefer it, obviously, as well as land holders who can't build suburbs on their land without it. It is ridiculous to spend this kind of money based on priorities from two generations ago.