Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert
Your first mistake was reading the comment section in a newspapers! But how was your comment any different? I never use the C-Train but I'm all for the C-train expansions being discussed here. I will use SW Stoney Trail probably everyday so of course I'm all for it proceeding asap.
All of these projects benefit citizens in different parts of the city so everyone has to realize that sometimes a project will benefit them directly and sometimes it won't, but in the end all of these projects benefit Calgary as a whole.
Also, why even bother talking about Stoney anymore? The construction of this road will proceed so it might be better to figure out how to move forward rather than whine about the money being wasted to build it.
I relate this this debate of the C-Train vs Ring Road to the Suburban vs Urban debate. Yawn!
|
My concern is the lack of transparency around how this decision was made:
SW Ring Road
(estimated ~5 billion)
Pros:
- 20,000 - 30,000 users per day
- goods movement and some trucking
- Potential to relieve congestion on Glenmore and provide an alternative (100,000 users per day on causway
Cons
- Lack of growth in areas near road mean that trip growth in the future is constrained
- Expensive land acquisition
- Does little to promote sustainability
- Relatively small catchment area (SW neighbourhoods on the east side, very minimal development in Tsuu Tina Nation)
- Doesn't align with existing Trip patterns or connects to any activity centres
Green Line LRT NC-SE
(estimated ~ 5 Billion)
Pros
-50,000 -100,000 users a day
- connection of primary growth areas (Inner city, Far North, Deep SE)
- connection to major activity centres (Downtown, Quarry Park, South Hospital, Foothills industrial park)
- Relieves congestion on Deerfoot (100 - 200,000 users / day) by providing alternatives on much of same route
Cons
- Expensive land acquisition
- SE portion travels through many low-trip generation areas before Quarry Park
- No ability to facilitate goods movement
I am no planner this is just a hobby: how could anyone argue that the benefit for 50,000+ users a day, not to mention those that continue to drive with less cars on Deerfoot (trucking included) could possibly be a worse deal than the SW Ring Road?
I am not saying the SW ring road is useless All I am saying is that for that price we should be getting a better deal. It's not like these are pie in the sky ideas, the Green Line plan exists and has studies on it. It will be built eventually, and it will help many more people get around than the SW Ring Road will ever.