HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7501  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:22 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Old & New, I would definitely prefer to see a second hotel go up across from RWP on 200 S, rather than the Arrow Press Square location, I really want to see that redeveloped as is. I used APS as an example simply because in a prior post I had mentioned the fact that the owners of APS aren't talking to potential buyers because they feel that they are a prime location for the CCH, and have been waiting for years for movement on the funding. I hope they see now that the funding is reliant on additional convention space and that there is no way that can be accomplished on their parcels. Hopefully they will sell to someone that is interested in rehabbing the existing buildings.

I love Arrow Press Square and I think it has huge potential as a unique area of the city. Several years ago Projects posted some renderings of the SLC Narrows or something like that. It included Arrow Press Square and the majority of the west end of that block, with small passage ways lined with shops and residences. I would love to see this develop, while including Arrow Press Square. Obviously there are things that would have to be different but I like the overall concept. I think the main thing that would have to occur to even come close to making this a reality is a pedestrian access from W. Temple to Main, along the corridor pictured in the second set of images, maybe even a second corridor on the south side of APS.



The following is from a post by SLC Projects back on Dec 12, 2009

This was on the news last night. I thought it would be a great idea for downtown SLC.

University of Utah students see new life in ‘City Narrows'
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9044344

SALT LAKE CITY -- Plenty of people steer clear of the alleyways of downtown Salt Lake City; but what if you had a good reason to explore those forgotten and ignored areas?

Fifteen University of Utah architecture and planning students put their talents to work to come up with designs to make those dead areas dazzling. The project is called The City Narrows, and it aims to attract people to the alleys.

Here are some examples
Before


After


Before


After

Last edited by Future Mayor; Mar 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM.
     
     
  #7502  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:34 PM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Old & New, I would definitely prefer to see a second hotel go up across from RWP on 200 S, rather than the Arrow Press Square location, I really want to see that redeveloped as is. I used APS as an example simply because in a prior post I had mentioned the fact that the owners of APS aren't talking to potential buyers because they feel that they are a prime location for the CCH, and have been waiting for years for movement on the funding. I hope they see now that the funding is reliant on additional convention space and that there is no way that can be accomplished on their parcels. Hopefully they will sell to someone that is interested in rehabbing the existing buildings.

I love Arrow Press Square and I think it has huge potential as a unique area of the city. I believe several years ago somebody, maybe Urban Boy) posted some renderings of the SLC Narrows or something like that. It included Arrow Press Square and the majority of the west end of that block, with small passage ways lined with shops and residences. Does anyone else remember that?
Future Mayor, yes I remember the Narrows idea. Very cool idea, with a great reuse of some very interesting and old part of town.
     
     
  #7503  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:35 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Well, the Zion curtain will remain. Just in time for them to have to build them in the eateries that will be in and around the new Convention Center hotel, I guess.

And this article won't help public opinion on who really runs things in Utah:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57670596-90/curtain-restaurants-zion-powell.html.csp
     
     
  #7504  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 6:07 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Deleted.
     
     
  #7505  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 6:26 PM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
I absolutely love that City Narrows idea.

On Arrow Press: a few months ago, on two different occasions, one of the doors was unlocked so I went inside and wandered around for a while. It was really run down. Like, to the point where it seemed unsalvageable. I hate saying that because I love that building, but after going inside I have a hard time imagining them saving anything but the facade.

On the other hand, I'm not a contractor or an engineer, so maybe I'm wrong. I hope so.
     
     
  #7506  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 7:21 PM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I could die a happy man if this ever materialized in Salt Lake.
     
     
  #7507  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 8:01 PM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303
I'm not confident my picture will post, but lets start with one and go from there. This is the Hyatt House on 100 S 300 W

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcj3qtovioyeljv/20140312_124906.jpg
__________________
"Oh, now we see the violence in the system"
     
     
  #7508  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 8:43 PM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303
OK I really didn't want to have these super sized photo's take up the whole browser space. But the usual dropbox link ain't linking so I will display the really big link. And this is not me over compensating for anything.

If I'm doing something wrong other then [IMG]http here[/IMG] then I don't know my HTML as good as I thought. This is the parking garage in the back of the Hyatt











As I was about to leave I noticed they are placing foundation footings down for what should be the Marriott. I wasn't aware they had been given the green light. Then again it might be for something else. And again I apologize for the over sized pics, got to get back to work.
__________________
"Oh, now we see the violence in the system"
     
     
  #7509  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 9:43 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
I could die a happy man if this ever materialized in Salt Lake.
This is awesome east coast gentrification.
Yes, I remember this idea a few years back.
So what would it take for something like this to get done.
Who owns the land,etc.
I'm sure that if a developer proved that they were ready and able to pull this
off, that any zoning problem could be overcome.
     
     
  #7510  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 10:29 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Some of the obstacles may be as follows;

Multiple owners of the various parcels. Of the parcels on either side of the E/W narrow there are 7 different owners. The former DV8 and the Arrow Press Square building have different owners.

Getting 100 S building owners to embrace a second retail front on Arrow Press Alley(that's not the actual name I just named it that) while still allowing for deliveries to their buildings.

There is currently a building on the south end of Dinwoody Plaza, that would need to be removed, in order to allow for a corridor to connect to Main St.

Getting pedestrian access to Main St through the Zions Bank owned parking lot.


The positives:
The City owns Dinwoody Plaza and I'm sure would welcome a better connection to the Plaza.

There is plenty of space to accommodate multiple pedestrian walkways.


To make it welcoming and viable, there would need to be plenty of lighting in the corridors, clean site lines and residential and retail access from the corridors.

Maybe something along these lines.
Red = existing building
Blue = new construction
Purple = pedestrian corridors.



Obviously it would have to be incorporated into whatever is eventually developed on the Zions Bank parking lot, including one connection to Main St and one to 100 S.
     
     
  #7511  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 10:29 PM
SL,UT's Avatar
SL,UT SL,UT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westshire, WVC
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Well, the Zion curtain will remain. Just in time for them to have to build them in the eateries that will be in and around the new Convention Center hotel, I guess.

And this article won't help public opinion on who really runs things in Utah:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57670596-90/curtain-restaurants-zion-powell.html.csp
Is anyone surprised by this at all? LD$ Inc has our senators by the strings. I just hope this won't discourage new restaurants from opening up.
Well at least the church can't make me put up a Zion Curtain in my house....
Me: 1 Corporation: 0
     
     
  #7512  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 PM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
This is awesome east coast gentrification.
I dunno about that if the area's already pretty wealthy.
     
     
  #7513  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 10:50 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,107
Another Update for the CCH:

The House has concurred with the Senate Amendment passing it 49-23-3. It now goes back to the Senate. As they passed it with the amendment, I think all they need to do is update their status and it goes to the Governor for signing.

Someone with more knowledge may be able to fill in or adjust my understanding of the process remaining.

-----
Edit...

Based on the following link: http://le.utah.gov/asp/passedbills/passedbills.asp?Session=2014GS&SortType=passdate

HB0356S01 New Convention Facility Development Incentive Provisions Wilson, B. 3/12/2014

The bill has been passed. So I guess it is off to the Governor now.

Last edited by Makid; Mar 12, 2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Updating and update
     
     
  #7514  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 11:04 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Finally.

Now hopefully the Governor signs it tomorrow.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #7515  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 12:29 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 571
Hello

Hi, I am new to the board. My Moniker is after a movie and not what I smoke.

I enjoy this thread generally, and seeing the update on growth in SLC.

One of the themes I see repeated frequently is the desire for a new tallest. I am among that group, but could the reason that we have not seen beyond what we have is due to the lake sediments which the city stands on, and earthquake risks? Maybe this has been covered in the past. I would appreciate other viewpoints on this.

In addition, I am involved in private equity. We have several million dollars available for distressed commercial real estate. I would be happy to discuss via PM for those who may be interested in learning more.
     
     
  #7516  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 12:53 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Convention hotel bill passes Utah Legislature

Majorie Cortez, Deseret News

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865598539/Convention-hotel-bill-passes-Utah-Legislature.html

SALT LAKE CITY — A convention hotel in downtown Salt Lake City became closer to reality Wednesday after the Utah Legislature passed a substitute version of HB356.


Ravell Call, Deseret News

Under the bill, the privately developed hotel would include public meeting space. The developer would be repaid for fronting the construction of the meeting space with sales tax rebates if the facility meets certain performance benchmarks.

The developer would receive tax rebates capped at $75 million over 20 years...



.
     
     
  #7517  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:21 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
I ran across this pic this morning, and was reminded of how far SLC has come in the past twenty years. I imagine this pic was taken in the 80's, but even just before the Olympic buildup, this is pretty much a prime example.


http://www.railpixs.com
     
     
  #7518  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:58 PM
brankrom's Avatar
brankrom brankrom is offline
Transit Advocate
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Liberty Wells-- SLC
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post



.
Something like this needs to happen, to have those eyesores across the street from the Salt Palace is terrible, and it's looked like that for at least 20 years.

I've always wondered what that building is on the SE corner of West Temple and 100 South, it looks like an old building but the street engagement is terrible. Some signage to designate what businesses if any are located in there would help. As it is it looks like a filler building on a movie set. I guess at least its not a parking lot. Seems like a prime location for a bar... if only.
     
     
  #7519  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:22 PM
brankrom's Avatar
brankrom brankrom is offline
Transit Advocate
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Liberty Wells-- SLC
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I ran across this pic this morning, and was reminded of how far SLC has come in the past twenty years. I imagine this pic was taken in the 80's, but even just before the Olympic buildup, this is pretty much a prime example.


http://www.railpixs.com
I remember when it looked like that, I had just bought my first house in Glendale a few blocks west and was excited for the redevelopment. Hopefully Gateway will become viable again because as it is, there are lots of empty storefronts. I go there at least once a month for a vendor lunches and there were just about as many people milling around as depicted in that 30 year old picture. (FWIW Fleming's was terrible hopefully it was just because it was a prifixe lunch). I hope the developments to the west creates something.

The Gateway needs some real help, otherwise its going to be another Trolley Square. (ETA: at least Trolley has a grocery store)
     
     
  #7520  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 5:49 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
I think Gateway is proving Salt Lake can't handle two major retail centers within blocks of each other. It's why they need to reinvent themselves as more than just a outdoor mall. I keep pushing the idea that this area could be SLC's nightlife hub. But that'll require some changes in the liquor license laws and a bigger push from the government to create a club/bar scene.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:28 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.