HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2601  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:08 PM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
Few pics to illustrate what I was talking about re: Spring Garden:













(all photos my own)

There are a few more funky new buildings in the works for the area, including this one, currently under construction:


Source
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2602  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:20 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
But who can really explain taste? Regina has a pretty cool skyline that exists in a context that's about as different from Halifax's as you can get. Totally flat, no water, visible from a very long distance. In terms of modernity, I'm guessing he meant street level, which would be true. Downtown Halifax is mostly very old streetscapes with some modern buildings. Regina is basically the opposite if I remember correctly.

On the flip side, (East) Spring Garden is worth checking out, for those into more "contemporary" urban areas. Modern wouldn't be a very good word for it, it's more of a mashup of early 20th century and wacky post-Y2K po-mo, coming together in a way that I haven't really seen anywhere else in Canada. Streetview doesn't really do it justice; I'll try to get some pics.
I don't see how he could have meant street level as that would be irrelevant to a skyline comparison. As far as taste, it isn't the issue of personal taste that's in question (ie finding one thing more beautiful or attractive than another), it's the attempt to use objective characteristics (height, size, density, age etc.) to "measure" if you will, the quality of different skylines and getting those characteristics wrong.
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Don't ask people not to debate a topic. Just stop making debatable assertions. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2603  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:23 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
...it's the attempt to use objective characteristics (height, size, density, age etc.) to "measure" if you will, the quality of different skylines and getting those characteristics wrong.
That cracked me up. Like my comment about Saint John having grander architecture than Halifax. I was convinced theirs was a floor taller on average than yours.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2604  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:37 PM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I don't see how he could have meant street level as that would be irrelevant to a skyline comparison. As far as taste, it isn't the issue of personal taste that's in question (ie finding one thing more beautiful or attractive than another), it's the attempt to use objective characteristics (height, size, density, age etc.) to "measure" if you will, the quality of different skylines and getting those characteristics wrong.
It seems foolish to me to try to rank skylines as being "objectively better" than other ones. Ultimately it really is the issue of personal taste that's in question. What's the point of determining which city has the best skyline "on paper" when the actual enjoyment of a skyline's characteristics is completely subjective and personal? Metrics like building heights and # of buildings above X height ignore things like architectural style and detail, relationship of buildings, context, topography, etc, which are all factors that can't be abstracted out in real life.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2605  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM
middeljohn middeljohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 1,681
Like I said, Halifax and Regina are about even in my rankings, I gave Regina the edge. On a different day I may have given Halifax the edge. Objectively Halifax is taller, however Regina looks denser. Further, there seems to be a higher percentage of condos/apartment buildings that make up Halifax's skyline, which I don't find nearly as appealing as well built office tower.

It's just my opinion of that one day though. I don't know why you're taking it so personally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2606  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:57 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Oh 🞵🞵🞵🞵, I didn't realize you guys were having an argument about Regina vs. Halifax. If I knew, I wouldn't have posted that skyline pic just yet. If that aided to fuel the flames of this debate, I apologize.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2607  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:57 PM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
Further, there seems to be a higher percentage of condos/apartment buildings that make up Halifax's skyline, which I don't find nearly as appealing as well built office tower.
Which begs the question, why did you put Hamilton at #1? Haha

This is what you get for making a list.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2608  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:59 PM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Oh 🞵🞵🞵🞵, I didn't realize you guys were having an argument about Regina vs. Halifax. If I knew, I wouldn't have posted that skyline pic just yet. If that aided to fuel the flames of this debate, I apologize.
Nothing wrong with a little context.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2609  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 8:01 PM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Which begs the question, why did you put Hamilton at #1? Haha

This is what you get for making a list.
It's subjective!

But I agree, I don't think I've ever saved a Hamilton photo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2610  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 8:02 PM
middeljohn middeljohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Which begs the question, why did you put Hamilton at #1? Haha

This is what you get for making a list.
Haha, it's more of a personal bias if I'm going to be completely honest.

Hamilton kind of looks like a Brazilian city in terms of its towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2611  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 8:05 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Here's a pretty sweet one of Halifax too, just for context.



http://www.governinggood.ca/about/


In my opinion, Halifax has the benefit on an ocean front and large bridges so it is unfair to compare.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2612  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 8:06 PM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
For me Purdy's Wharf just steals the show
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2613  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 8:16 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Me as well.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2614  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 8:23 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,326
My favourite one in Halifax is that old one just left of centre.

Purdy's Wharf is cool, though. And it's aging well. Looks a little like spacesuits for alien octopus invaders, but it's good.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2615  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 9:05 PM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
The Aliant Building? (The one that looks like a giant waffle?) Or the one with the flag on top?

Purdy's Wharf is an example of the difference that context can make. I doubt the towers would look nearly as good if they were far from the water, for example. Otherwise they're just a couple of fairly basic glass boxes. The white "bracing" holds pipes that form a "hydrothermal" system (not sure if that's the correct word, but basically geothermal-using-water). I've always liked how much Purdy's Wharf is such an integral part of Halifax's modern identity - the complex is still very young in east coast terms but it's hard for my generation to imagine the city without it, just as much as the Citadel or Grand Parade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2616  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 9:08 PM
middeljohn middeljohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 1,681
One London Place would look fantastic in Halifax if it were right by the water.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2617  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 12:28 AM
Dwils01's Avatar
Dwils01 Dwils01 is offline
Urban Fanactic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post

I knew I've seen that CIBC building before and I finally figured out that it's in Sim City 4.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2618  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 1:35 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
And the "Chunky Monkey Skyline Award" goes to..... Regina!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2619  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 2:48 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Few pics to illustrate what I was talking about re: Spring Garden:
Halifax is actually fairly unique in that it is an older city that saw a protracted period of economic stagnation in the early 20th century followed by lots of downtown development afterwards. As you've pointed out there's also a lot of urban infill happening right now and it's producing a pretty unique aesthetic. There are plenty of prettier mid-sized or small older cities but most of them have kind of ossified.

I used to think Spring Garden Road was OK; fairly busy but kind of shabby and low-slung. The parking lots behind the little commercial buildings on the south side of the street looked like something out of a small town. Today it's becoming more layered and interesting, and the commercial areas are extending out in a couple of directions. I can imagine "Spring Garden Road" one day referring to the stretch between Barrington and Robie, not just Barrington to South Park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2620  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 3:06 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
Like I said, Halifax and Regina are about even in my rankings, I gave Regina the edge. On a different day I may have given Halifax the edge. Objectively Halifax is taller, however Regina looks denser. Further, there seems to be a higher percentage of condos/apartment buildings that make up Halifax's skyline, which I don't find nearly as appealing as well built office tower.

It's just my opinion of that one day though. I don't know why you're taking it so personally.
I don't recall seeing anyone make anything personal. The discussion has never strayed away from the skylines and their respective characteristics.
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Don't ask people not to debate a topic. Just stop making debatable assertions. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:02 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.