Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse
Not a huge difference when if even using the most Regina-flattering arbitrary cuttoff possible (75m), Halifax still has 40% more? Just imagine the difference if using a balanced measurement approach...
As far as being modern, Halifax only has one historic building that's prominent in the skyline (Customer House) the rest of the highrises were built in the same era as Regina's. All of Halifax's top 10 were built in the 70s and 80s just like Regina except Regina has one from the early 90s but also one from the late 60s.
|
But who can really explain taste? Regina has a pretty cool skyline that exists in a context that's about as different from Halifax's as you can get. Totally flat, no water, visible from a very long distance. In terms of modernity, I'm guessing he meant street level, which would be true. Downtown Halifax is mostly very old streetscapes with some modern buildings. Regina is basically the opposite if I remember correctly.
On the flip side, (East) Spring Garden is worth checking out, for those into more "contemporary" urban areas. Modern wouldn't be a very good word for it, it's more of a mashup of early 20th century and wacky post-Y2K po-mo, coming together in a way that I haven't really seen anywhere else in Canada. Streetview doesn't really do it justice; I'll try to get some pics.