HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7441  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 2:14 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,739
Future Mayor, There's no sense in trying to reason with a troll like plaidshirts.

As you and those of us that have been members for a while now know, this discussion repeats itself quite often. I will support wholeheartedly whatever you should choose to do.

I would like to see couple of the threads consolidated in to one. For Example, at the very least I would like to see the moderator combine the Utah Valley Thread into the Provo Thread. Pretty much the same as the arrangement we have with the Ogden Thread. Since I created the Utah Valley Thread, I officially give my consent, and would happily support it. I'm sure Wasatch One would be more than happy to update a first page of Provo/Utah Valley in much the same way you have kept the first page of the SLC Thread updated. Other than that, there really is absolutely no need for us to feel guilty about having a number of active threads on important topics. Since Denver is the dubious example, we should keep in mind that they continue to run pretty much even on the front two pages with our own total tally. This has always been the case since I joined. Some times they have a couple more total threads created, and sometimes we do.

To be sure, the UPAC and adjoining 111 Tower are more than worthy of their own thread, if that should be the decision.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM.
     
     
  #7442  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:54 PM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
I was against creating a new thread at first but changed my mind. Thread created: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=210160

Last edited by Cirrus; Mar 11, 2014 at 12:54 AM.
     
     
  #7443  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:28 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,739
LOL, Good for you DMTower!
     
     
  #7444  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:32 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,739
Is there a particular Moderator who is quite active, or checks in often throughout the day? Would like to contact one who is responsive...Hmm, I'm thinking Cottonwood probably checks in quite often.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM.
     
     
  #7445  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 5:19 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Is there a particular Moderator who is quite active, or checks in often throughout the day? Would like to contact one who is responsive...Hmm, I'm thinking Cottonwood probably checks in quite often.
Please don't invite Cottonwood to police this thread. I know we could use a mod here lately, but let's rely on viper lord or anyone who won't shut down threads and suspend anyone who doesn't share his world views.
     
     
  #7446  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 5:34 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,739
Scott, I appreciate what your saying, but Cottonwood is not going to shut this thread down.

I've had a lot more dust ups with Cottonwood in the distant past than anyone on here. However, I have come to respect his activity as a moderator. I know that his intent as a moderator is to simply keep blatant trolling at bay. Often Viperlord is probably not able to be at a monitor etc. for hours at a time. Cottonwood is currently active, and I more than trust he can moderate the problem effectively.

I don't remember who has been suspended, warned in the past etc. I know that Stenar was suspended temporarily, which I was very much in disagreement with. Almost always, I prefer that controversial posts simply be deleted. I've had a number of my own posts deleted, some of which were pretty lengthy, and I had put considerable effort in writing.

However, there is on the rare occasion a level of blatant baiting and trolling that goes beyond the occasional rant. In this case, it's so nonsensical, that even Urbanboy's past baiting seems placid.
     
     
  #7447  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 5:55 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Is Plaid finally gone. I could smell a troll a mile away. I was actually considering going to another website because he annoyed me so bad.


I want to take a picture of the Hotel south of the ESA. It actually looks really good in height for that area...unless someone gets to it before me with a better camera. and Also of the Bridges project and the residential building across the street. I am soooo excited for downtown. I might actually move there next year for school at the U.
     
     
  #7448  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 6:03 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,739
Well, at least a little bit of a vacation EP. Hopefully, when he returns he'll leave the constant trolling and baiting behind.

I'm looking forward to your Hyatt update.
     
     
  #7449  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 6:04 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
I want to take a picture of the Hotel south of the ESA. It actually looks really good in height for that area...unless someone gets to it before me with a better camera. and Also of the Bridges project and the residential building across the street. I am soooo excited for downtown. I might actually move there next year for school at the U.
I was on the west side of Downtown yesterday. The hotel is coming along well. I've enjoyed watching it come together (Although I don't like how it's going to turn out looking.) I took a photo a little bit back of the little crane in front of 99 West and COB and posted it on here. I don't have time to find the photo cause I'm on a school computer as of typing this. At the TRAX station I got a quick up close view, but I didn't have my camera with me to snap any shots.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #7450  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 6:18 PM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
I was on the west side of Downtown yesterday. The hotel is coming along well. I've enjoyed watching it come together (Although I don't like how it's going to turn out looking.) I took a photo a little bit back of the little crane in front of 99 West and COB and posted it on here. I don't have time to find the photo cause I'm on a school computer as of typing this. At the TRAX station I got a quick up close view, but I didn't have my camera with me to snap any shots.
I drive past the Hyatt house every time going to work the 6th floor is being constructed now and I think that's it right? They are now working a lot on the parking garage behind it. It does look good for the area you can see ESA at the light of 300 w 200 s but I think that view will disappear when Marriott builds theirs. Maybe I'll leave for work earlier to make time for a little photo shoot on Wednesday.

Remember more emojicons then you won't get suspended.
__________________
"Oh, now we see the violence in the system"
     
     
  #7451  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:59 PM
SLCMoosy SLCMoosy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
The Bees (Smith's Field) ball park is really in a good location for some redevelopment to happen, and I think that's been the hope for years. There's a TRAX stop nearby, there are empty or underused lots around it...but there needs to be some other catalyst to get things going. During the baseball season, there's enough activity to sustain restaurants or bars, but outside of the season it seems to be a wasteland. More residents would help, but it stills seems like there would need to be some other draw. And perhaps the restaurants or bars themselves would be enough of a draw to bring some life to the area.

As for the Rio Tinto Stadium, I won't ever be convinced that it should have been built where it's at. I don't like the site for a stadium. When you're attending a game, it's unfriendly to walk along State Street (or from anywhere you park) to get there, with a narrow sidewalk and busy streets trying to accommodate thousands of people. Once you're inside, I love that stadium. It's beautiful, there are a lot of food and drink options--it's great. Love it. But it never should have been built there. I don't see a lot of development happening immediately around it because of where it's located. Maybe someone can step in and change that, but it seems like it would be an uphill battle that they probably don't want to fight.
Del Loy Hansen is buying up land around the RioT for development. There's some serious upsides to having a real estate mogul owning the team
     
     
  #7452  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:41 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Here is the exterior finish of the Capital Theater expansion.

     
     
  #7453  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:02 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
The way the new Hyatt is built right up to the sidewalk adds a nice dense feeling to the area. I hope the same is true for the Marriott.
     
     
  #7454  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:40 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Here is the exterior finish of the Capital Theater expansion.

I'm trying to reserve judgement, but I am not impressed.
     
     
  #7455  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:53 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I'm trying to reserve judgement, but I am not impressed.
Me neither.
     
     
  #7456  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:12 AM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
It's a bit different from the rendering:

     
     
  #7457  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:19 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
It's a bit different from the rendering:

Actually if you look closely the sample is exactly like the rendering, it is just every part condensed into one sample. The diamond pattern that is illuminated, the corrugated horizontal metal, the pillar and cornice treatment and the windows.
     
     
  #7458  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:32 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
The coloring on the mockup looks a lot more bland and conservative than the rendering
     
     
  #7459  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 6:10 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
The coloring on the mockup looks a lot more bland and conservative than the rendering
Maybe it all lights up at night?
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #7460  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:56 AM
Zionide's Avatar
Zionide Zionide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
We don't really do separate threads anymore for individual developments because we have DenverInfill to keep it all organized. Notice on the Dev thread, we link a ton from that website. You guys need someone to start a website like DI.
It would be awesome to have a site dedicated to SLC infill... but before that can happen, we'll need city leaders who believe in infill. Right now, we prefer to tear down existing buildings to make way for great new ones, instead of placing them on the 30% of downtown that's parking lot.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.