HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2321  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 11:08 PM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
Apparently a company selling mining equipment has moved into the former Bilrite lumber yard on Beaverhall. I haven't been by yet to see if it is a new company to T.Bay, or an existing dealership that needed more space.

LU received a million bucks from the province for the Nanabijou Daycare Centre. LU was facing a shortfall in funding for construction of the building (which is going up fast now) up until this point.

Rentech has now received a wood allocation for their Wawa pellet plant. The plant is scheduled to be in operation in 2014. Pellets will be exported mostly to Europe. Their other Ontario plant in Atikokan is already being worked on. The company has also opened an office in Thunder Bay I believe. A Rentech sign was very recently put up at the newer office building at the corner of Balmoral and William along the river.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2322  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 1:09 AM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
A tender is out for interior work to the Terry Fox Lookout Tourist Centre building. There isn't a whole lot involved in the project. The aim is to update the look of the place I guess.

The Thunder Bay Generating Station is going to burn biomass and will continue operating for at least another 5 years. The province made the announcement today. It will only run at partial capacity. A biomass source has yet to be decided upon, but the facility will be the first advanced biomass plant in the world apparently. After 5 years, the power situation in NWO will be re-visited, and another decision made on the plant.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/thunder-bay-generating-station-to-burn-biomass-1.2428035

A new manufacturing plant is about to be up and running in Greenstone. The province provided $1 million to Havilah Holdings to finance the plant. The plant will manufacture pre-fab panels for building construction and will create 52 jobs in Geraldton.

The province has also awarded a contract to conduct the preliminary design study for dividing and constructing interchanges along the Thunder Bay Expressway. Its a two year project that will essentially put off needed improvements for a while longer. A detailed design would still need to be completed after this initial study. A waste of time and money in my opinion, the gov't should have gone straight to detailed design and cut out the bull 🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2323  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 3:03 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
The hydro plant barely runs as it is. If it operates at 50% capacity, that's, like, a 15,000% increase over what it produced in the past year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2324  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 9:12 PM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The hydro plant barely runs as it is. If it operates at 50% capacity, that's, like, a 15,000% increase over what it produced in the past year.
Agreed. I think that is why the Energy Task Force had such a difficult time dealing with the province. Needless to say, the demand on the TBGS the past few years has almost been non-existent. The future is looking much different though. Not only does mining activity provide reason to continue operation, but Northern Ontario seems to be becoming home to more manufacturing. An available labour pool and access to resources is drawing companies in. Also, several large transmission projects in the works will likely increase the market for local power generation. Shutting that plant down now is premature and probably not a wise decision, especially just coming out of a recession.

=====

I noticed a lot of spray paint and staking on the property at the north-east corner of Oliver and the Expressway. The land, which has a small empty house on it, has been for sale since shortly after Flying J announced now scrapped plans to build across the road. It is zoned commercial and a fairly sizable lot, but other than that, I have heard nothing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2325  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 2:02 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
I think I overheard something about something going in there at work a while back and forgot to post it, I am pretty sure it's going to be a clinic of some sort relocating from somewhere else in town. Could be wrong though.

There is also the rumour that the casino is being sold to MGM and moving out there but I highly doubt that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2326  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 3:36 AM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I think I overheard something about something going in there at work a while back and forgot to post it, I am pretty sure it's going to be a clinic of some sort relocating from somewhere else in town. Could be wrong though.

There is also the rumour that the casino is being sold to MGM and moving out there but I highly doubt that.
Clinic makes sense. Pretty soon they will all be in that area.

I saw the casino rumour on Opportunity T-Bay too. I highly doubt that will happen. The city would throw a fit about it leaving the downtown north core. Some would say the city has no influence on the decision, but I am pretty sure in my opinion that they have some pull. It is mostly local money that supports the place after all. I could only see it happening if the new operators wanted an attached hotel and other amenities. We would be talking big bucks for something like that, and I just can't see it paying off in this market at this time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2327  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 1:34 AM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
There is another commercial building coming to the Intercity area I believe. I just caught wind of the proposal today, and I am not sure where it is going yet. I have two locations in mind that are most likely. I will try and get details with time.

I am fairly certain the long-empty commercial space kitty corner to the Rockhouse at Donald and Syndicate is being renovated for a new tenant. Again, I have very little for details on this one too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2328  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 2:05 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Thank you for those vague development related comments! We look forward to whatever it might be that they refer to!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2329  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:04 AM
newhere newhere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
This and That

Hello to all. This is my first posting however I have been following this site for some time. I share everyone's enthusiasm (well almost everyone) with the direction Tbay is taking. There will always be challenges however there seems to be more of an attitude of "yes we can" as opposed to "it will never work" that had been a hallmark of this city. I am also intrigued by the rumour regarding the possible sale of the casino to MGM. I know this is a bit far fetched however if a better locale and the space to have a hotel are the criteria for the purchase, why not purchase the Provincial building across from the train station. It is underutilized to say the least and could likely be purchased at significant discount, the locale is perfect and the conversion to hotel space is feasible. Like I said, a long shot but with the financial resources of a company like MGM, who knows. Sorry this is so long.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2330  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:51 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Are you talking about 189 Red River Road? Considering the list of services in there, either that building is packed, or every department has 2 employees. It would certainly be a great opportunity for re-use at some point. There was talk by the province of selling a bunch of its buildings and that was on the list, I'm not sure what happened to that. I figure that it would probably get bought by mining companies and related businesses for office space if it ever went on the market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2331  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 1:26 PM
Conker Conker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Are you talking about 189 Red River Road? Considering the list of services in there, either that building is packed, or every department has 2 employees. It would certainly be a great opportunity for re-use at some point. There was talk by the province of selling a bunch of its buildings and that was on the list, I'm not sure what happened to that. I figure that it would probably get bought by mining companies and related businesses for office space if it ever went on the market.
The building is for sale, but it has a tenant with a long term, iron clad lease agreement as part of the sale. Who is the tenant you ask? The Ontario Government.

What the government is doing would be the same as you selling your house to a property management company with a lease agreement already in place so that your new landlord has to accept the rent that you set for yourself and they cannot kick you out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2332  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 2:10 PM
newhere newhere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Yes, I was speaking of the building on Red River. I was in there a couple of years back and it seemed to be almost empty. Maybe things have picked up since then. I was not aware of the lease arrangement. Typical. Should the building ever be sold, I am hoping that is can be another jewel in the Tbay entertainment zone. Casino/hotel would be ideal...it is fun spending other peoples money! Hopefully mining interests will gravitate to Innova. Thanks for the responses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2333  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 2:09 AM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhere View Post
I am also intrigued by the rumour regarding the possible sale of the casino to MGM. I know this is a bit far fetched however if a better locale and the space to have a hotel are the criteria for the purchase, why not purchase the Provincial building across from the train station.
I wouldn't say a possible sale to MGM is unlikely, its the move to the corner of the Expressway and Oliver that is unlikely. Huge costs involved to do so, especially when the casino functions where it is just fine. I am sure MGM would at least review the possibility of being the operator for Ontario casinos. They would pretty well have a monopoly after all, and what company can resist that idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
The building is for sale, but it has a tenant with a long term, iron clad lease agreement as part of the sale. Who is the tenant you ask? The Ontario Government.

What the government is doing would be the same as you selling your house to a property management company with a lease agreement already in place so that your new landlord has to accept the rent that you set for yourself and they cannot kick you out.
Its all about short term gain for long term loss. Sell your buildings, get a sudden influx of cash, so you can spend like drunken sailors, and look good to the public. The only problem is, its a temporary influx of money. The savings are not there in the long term. Some governments in other jurisdictions in North America are actually starting to reverse this trend of privatization as prices to contract out were coming in way over what the gov't can do the work for, and the quality wasn't there. It worked alright at first, but things got out of control over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhere View Post
Yes, I was speaking of the building on Red River. I was in there a couple of years back and it seemed to be almost empty. Maybe things have picked up since then. I was not aware of the lease arrangement. Typical. Should the building ever be sold, I am hoping that is can be another jewel in the Tbay entertainment zone. Casino/hotel would be ideal...it is fun spending other peoples money! Hopefully mining interests will gravitate to Innova. Thanks for the responses.
The mining companies are not that interested in Innova at the moment. They have all clustered in the Intercity area so far for the most part. Most rent or lease because of the nature of the business. A developer would have to put up office/shop space and lease to mining companies if we want them in Innova. Its more likely we will see service and supply companies move into Innova. I'm not saying this may change in a couple years time though.

======

The building I spoke about yesterday kitty corner to Rockhouse is being renovated inside, and eventually outside this winter as well. Sounds like it is a local owner who is motivated to get the place fixed up. As for the new Intercity building, its another strip mall from what I gather. Not sure what the timeline is on it, I think the contractor is too busy with other projects right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2334  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 7:55 PM
Dwils01's Avatar
Dwils01 Dwils01 is offline
Urban Fanactic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 3,285
Algoma Conservatory moving to new home

Quote:
Establishing a music legacy in Sault Ste. Marie for today and tomorrow

The Algoma Conservatory of Music has acquired the historically designated General Administration Building at the former St. Mary's Paper Mill site, now known as Mill Square.

This extraordinary sandstone structure was completed in 1901 by Francis H. Clergue as his North American Headquarters. It will become the new home of the Algoma Conservatory in September 2014.

Building on its 42 year reputation of excellence, the Conservatory can now expand programs that were limited because of inadequate space.

A Phase 1 Capital Campaign will be launched later this winter to fund the purchase and required renovations.

This will establish one of the most distinctive music education centres in Canada, will assist in the redevelopment of the Canal District and Mill Square, and breathe a second century of life into this irreplaceable local landmark—establishing a music legacy for Sault Ste. Marie.

Read more here: http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=64474
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2335  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 10:42 PM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
Scotiabank is in the process of finding a contractor to perform what I have heard as pretty significant interior and exterior renovations to their branch at Balmoral and Hewitson. I am not sure what timelines they are looking at, but I am thinking spring if the exterior is involved.

There is a rumour (kind of an older one that I forgot to post) that Tom Jones may be getting involved in The Club Condos project. Work was supposed to start again on the project, but I don't think anything is happening yet. Outstanding bills are also not being paid from what I understand. Someone like Tom Jones is needed to save the project. I can't see it getting going again until someone new steps in for financing and to run the project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2336  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 11:30 PM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
Fort William First Nation is proposing a 30000-50000 sq. ft. office building to be built on reserve lands. FWFN would like to have the building up for the end of 2014. This is quite an ambitious timeline considering they are just looking for expressions of interest from the business community now to lease in the building. I believe the building is supposed to go up near the band office.

The city has a tender out for renovations to the second floor of Victoriaville, where the Infrastructure and Operations dept. has offices. Interior renovations only. Superstore also has a tender out for interior renovations to their medical centre in the south-east corner of that store. I think it is only considered a 'medical centre' because they do flu shots there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2337  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 11:08 PM
TbayON TbayON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, NWO
Posts: 830
The former Provincial Papers/Cascades/Thunder Bay Fine Papers and currently Superior Fine Papers mill is going to be scrapped finally. The mill, at the end of Shipyard Rd., only ran briefly since Cascades left town in 2006. It has been the source of several orders from the MOE for environmental cleanup and improper chemical storage. The current ownership cannot afford the cost of cleanup. A company will begin work on recycling the mill soon.

The good news out of this is the land should become available for another use once the mill is gone. Hopefully the contaminants on the site are cleaned up so it will be attractive for another use. I think there is a hell of a mess there from around a century of industrial activity.

According to a Northern Ontario Business article, the owner of the Chapples Building in downtown Fort William is looking at undertaking a facelift of the building's facade next year. Sounds like an investment in the area of $1 million will be made to upgrade the building. The building has always been pretty full, and I am sure with the courthouse next door now, space will be at a premium in that building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2338  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 3:15 AM
Dwils01's Avatar
Dwils01 Dwils01 is offline
Urban Fanactic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 3,285
Second Brewery Set to Open in Sault Ste. Marie

Quote:
Over the last couple of years, there's been a lot of activity at 350 Queen Street East.

And after extensive renovations, equipment is being installed and the retail space nearly complete.

Now, owners/operators Vaughn Alexander and Graham Atkinson anticipate that the Sault's own Outspoken Brewing Inc. will open for business in the first quarter of 2014.

Although the duo can't technically call themselves brew masters, almost two years of research and development went into tweaking and finalizing their beer recipes.

Beginning with small-batch home brews, Alexander and Atkinson then learned to scale the batch sizes up to meet the potential demand of Outspoken Brewing.
Read more here: http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=64799
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2339  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 6:46 PM
Dwils01's Avatar
Dwils01 Dwils01 is offline
Urban Fanactic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 3,285
Cladding of an apartment building on Cooper Street.


Cladding of an apartment building on James Street at Queen Street West.


New self storage centre on Queen Street East across from the East End Waste Water Treatment Plant. A new road with houses will be built behind here.


New hotel on Great Northern Road (Hwy 17) by the Sault Area Hospital.


St. Mary's Catholic High School Site at Second Line East (Hwy 17) and Pine Street.




New Honda Dealership on Pim Street south of Bruce Street.


New apartment building on East Street at Bay Street across from the city's tallest building.




Sault Heritage Discovery Centre on Bay Street by Pim Street.


St. Mary's Site, demolition has completed and work on the interior of the existing structures has commenced. A movie was shot here last month in these buildings.








Pictures by me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2340  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 9:15 PM
russman's Avatar
russman russman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 163
Are they really putting that 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 black siding on that building? In 2013?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:32 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.