HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #281  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 11:20 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
So many great blogs in town. Kudos to them all.


The pic below is of 505 Fifth Ave which similar to the new Dranoff Tower on South Broad according to sources who have seen plans. Except The Broad Street Tower will be 40 stories-567 feet, this Park Ave tower is 26 stories.


according to the plans for Dranoffs

http://blog.philadelphiarealestate.com/p...cypress-street-grid-put-south-broad-map/


Yea...except while this NYC building has a unified look and feel from the podium up to the very top, the Dranoff tower will probably look a lot like the new Buck Tower on Chestnut, which I don't care for (from the street, it looks fine; but from afar, it's a glass building on a brick podium - no cohesion whatsoever).

Quote:
The masonry podium would fit in with the surrounding buildings, but the tower that rises from the podium would be a mixture of metal and vertical and horizontal glass to give it an elegant feel.
The tower part sounds really cool, just wish they would replicate that design on the podium. I can't get too annoyed until I see the rendering, but it's not looking good. I don't understand this need in Philadelphia to design modern towers and then dumb down the podium so it blends in with the neighbors.

I guess b/c I have high expectations - scratch that - I "complain", I should add the following disclaimer:

No matter how horrid this tower is, it will add to our skyline, increase street level vitality, and contribute to the overall well-being of the city. Even if it's ugly, it's a plus for the city. There!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #282  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 11:57 PM
Pennsgrant Pennsgrant is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 818
Art Studio on South Street in the works . From The Passyunk Post via Curbed Philly






Eventual glass façade for 2015

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2013/12/03/south-street-to-get-new-art-studio-space.php#more




Reply With Quote
     
     
  #283  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 1:40 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLaw View Post
As I read the article the footprint of the Vo Tech building will house another building, with a surface level parking lot adjacent to it. Notwithstanding, I have to disagree with you here. The building in its current form is an eye-sore, and any rehab will still conflict with the new modern motif planned at the site.
Then I must disagree with you. In fact, if you look at the existing structure, you'll notice its north wall is at the south face of what would be Bainbridge (which is to be an open walk in the proposal); Phase I is section between South and Bainbridge. I am simply stating that CHoP saves money not touching this structure in the first phase--it can even be used as a parking garage--and working with the site as later phases dictate.

There is also no good reason why a "modern motif" requires the destruction of a durable existing structure. And I have to remind you that loft environments are fast becoming favored workplaces, especially in I.T. environments (and honestly, what else do you expect "office research" is?).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #284  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 2:48 PM
cubanChris cubanChris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Center City - Phil-a-delphia
Posts: 347
^ Not that this counters your argument, but I do know that CHoP had a fairly comprehensive reuse feasibility study done on the structure and deemed it unusable for their purposes and for building something new on top of. Depending on your cynicism, you can believe that or not =)

I think current building is kind of cool, if you look at the columns inside they're enormous and I just doubt something like that gets built in the future.

All things considered, I'm happy CHoP is moving forward with the site as there was a lot of local eye-rolling as to whether they would ever move forward. Crossing my fingers and toes they don't forsake active retail on the ground floors from jump and work with neighbors on streetscape and SRT improvements.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #285  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 3:28 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
Thank you. If you can point me in the direction of that study, I would be grateful--the lack of its public availability has been one of my major concerns with this proposal.

Even so, I reiterate that if CHoP does indeed decide that its demolition is required, I remain convinced that that should take place at the beginning of Phase II rather than during Phase I for the reasons I already explained: even if it does not fit with their long-term programming, retaining it does allow for multiple interim uses between the completion of Phase I and the beginning of Phase II.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #286  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 3:59 PM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,799
The building that has the Philly stock exchange is apparently going to be converted to condos (or apartments... not really sure, but it will be residential). Far from a done deal or anything, but figured I'd post it (not sure if anyone else has posted about this).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #287  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 4:56 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Let me get this straight... we're talking about this building right?
http://goo.gl/maps/f0FU3

You'd rather save this than have two shiny new towers? I understand the towers won't be coming for a few more years but I don't see the point in fighting to save this.
Not complaining. I just think it's a shame they couldn't be a little more creative and work the old building into the development. It could be a great asset, even as a parking podium, and I imagine you could probably put shiny towers on top. It's a very strong building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #288  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:17 PM
Nightman Nightman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 164
Seems like they really don't have a plan. maybe big retail maybe small retail, depends on who says yes. Hopefully things will get moving in August when K-mart is ousted.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-12-02/bu...arket-east-real-estate-investment-trusts
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #289  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:21 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
Seems like they really don't have a plan. maybe big retail maybe small retail, depends on who says yes. Hopefully things will get moving in August when K-mart is ousted.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-12-02/bu...arket-east-real-estate-investment-trusts
My guess is small retail, like a café and/or lunch spot. I lived on Schuylkill avenue just across the street from Springfield Beer Distributor for a year (my roof-top deck just happened to have the best skyline view in the city!) This corridor, while next to the bourgeoning south st west, is sort of a dead zone (until you get down south st a little). Plus, Fitler Square and Naval Square neighbors alike don't want Schuylkill ave to be a commercial corridor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #290  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:32 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
Seems like they really don't have a plan. maybe big retail maybe small retail, depends on who says yes. Hopefully things will get moving in August when K-mart is ousted.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-12-02/bu...arket-east-real-estate-investment-trusts
It's likely going to be Bloomingdales.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #291  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:32 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
The building that has the Philly stock exchange is apparently going to be converted to condos (or apartments... not really sure, but it will be residential). Far from a done deal or anything, but figured I'd post it (not sure if anyone else has posted about this).
No. It will be office space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #292  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:49 PM
sayitaintso sayitaintso is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
No. It will be office space.
Summer does Brandywine have major plans to renovate and upgrade 1900 and retain as office?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #293  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 6:13 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
It's likely going to be Bloomingdales.
I was told that they were pursuing TopShop--i'm fairly certain that's one of the "two impact retailers" that would be "new to the Philadelphia market."

This company is two steps forward 1.5 back in everything they do. It's an old boys club where things slog along. Trust me, the August date is —--as if the entire 3 block long, $750million renovation project must lie fallow till KMart pulls out--it's just another delay tactic by a poorly run company.

If construction begins in the next 5 years I'd be satisfied--not holding my breath.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #294  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 6:15 PM
Plokoon11 Plokoon11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,698
So any news on the Comcast Tower, or W hotel?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #295  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 7:48 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,710
What about Bloomingdales and Target (since they are pursuing two retailers)?

Hey, if Kmart leaves, CC will need another big box general store retailer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #296  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 7:55 PM
supertallchaser's Avatar
supertallchaser supertallchaser is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
So any news on the Comcast Tower, or W hotel?
wellnorman foster is an archtect for comcast and we dont know much more
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #297  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 8:06 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
What about Bloomingdales and Target (since they are pursuing two retailers)?

Hey, if Kmart leaves, CC will need another big box general store retailer.
"Rumor has it" that Target is interested in the Girard Block site. Actually, if SSH could get their butts in gear and PREIT its act together, Market East could really be something.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #298  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 8:29 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
"Rumor has it" that Target is interested in the Girard Block site. Actually, if SSH could get their butts in gear and PREIT its act together, Market East could really be something.
Ya true but we've veen saying that for years and years

Its a big if
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #299  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 9:36 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
PA Oil Sector

This blip is related to the WSJ article I posted a few days back. Just a taste, but slow drips can be meaningful.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/ho..._Logistics_looking_to_fill_pipeline.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #300  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 9:43 PM
buildup buildup is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
So any news on the Comcast Tower, or W hotel?
I saw in the CIS Reports that at this time construction of the W Hotel will begin in late Spring 2014 (Est. $200,000,000).

We have to suffer and wait on Comcast. We should have a pool on the height of the new tower. I'd like to see it near 1,300' with a smallish (by today's standards) 175' crown or better to beat out Chicago's Willis Building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.