HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #261  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:49 AM
Muji's Avatar
Muji Muji is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 1,190
Congratulations on the Eataly news! I would say that landing one of those before Los Angeles is a very nice testament to the strength of Philadelphia's restaurant scene.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #262  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:16 PM
Pennsgrant Pennsgrant is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 818
So many great blogs in town. Kudos to them all.


The pic below is of 505 Fifth Ave which similar to the new Dranoff Tower on South Broad according to sources who have seen plans. Except The Broad Street Tower will be 40 stories-567 feet, this Park Ave tower is 26 stories.


according to the plans for Dranoffs

http://blog.philadelphiarealestate.com/p...cypress-street-grid-put-south-broad-map/


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #263  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:37 PM
ScreamShatter ScreamShatter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by relnahe View Post
I'm in Toronto often and have been to Vancouver, Chicago, NYC over the last couple years and those cities are churning out a lot of mediocre mid/high rises. Its kind of funny you would call Toronto a "work of art" but not Philadelphia.
Look – this conversation started because someone on this forum was bashing Vancouver’s skyline and architecture. I chipped in saying that I didn’t think that was a fair statement as North American architecture, in general, is boxy and quite conservative compared to the rest of the world.

I understand both sides of these arguments. Philly is a terrific city, but the architecture does fall short especially when talking about new high rises. Additionally, the skyline itself doesn’t have an instantly recognizable mark that makes it easily distinguishable for people around the world. That’s not to say that what we have is bad. All I’m saying is that it doesn’t stand out. We still have a beautiful skyline, but I wish we’d see a little more innovative to help us stand out visually.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #264  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:17 PM
Jelly Roll Jelly Roll is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
I understand both sides of these arguments. Philly is a terrific city, but the architecture does fall short especially when talking about new high rises. Additionally, the skyline itself doesn’t have an instantly recognizable mark that makes it easily distinguishable for people around the world. That’s not to say that what we have is bad. All I’m saying is that it doesn’t stand out. We still have a beautiful skyline, but I wish we’d see a little more innovative to help us stand out visually.
The bolded statement is just not true. Liberty 1 and 2 and Comcast Tower all make the skyline instantly recognizable to anyone who has seen it before. Nobody is looking at the Philly skyline and mistaking the city for another one...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #265  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:43 PM
acenturi acenturi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
...........The pic below is of 505 Fifth Ave which similar to the new Dranoff Tower on South Broad according to sources who have seen plans. Except The Broad Street Tower will be 40 stories-567 feet, this Park Ave tower is 26 stories.............
Unfortunately the Base will be a huge concrete faced garage. IMO, how they design that and blend it into the main structure will determine the visual quality of this building. A very positive is that SLS Hotels = another Rittenhouse, 4 Seasons+ and should provide a great addition to the theatre district - along with the new "W" on Chestnut, which I guess is still on the way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #266  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:10 PM
MikeNigh MikeNigh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 597
... "Other neighbors raised concerns about noise and the displacement of a group of homeless people near the site."

... "Dranoff insisted ... “We won’t be displacing anyone,” he said."

What lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #267  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:20 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Congratulations on the Eataly news! I would say that landing one of those before Los Angeles is a very nice testament to the strength of Philadelphia's restaurant scene.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #268  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:22 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #269  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:38 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
... "Other neighbors raised concerns about noise and the displacement of a group of homeless people near the site."

... "Dranoff insisted ... “We won’t be displacing anyone,” he said."

What lol
Lol how can homeless be displaced if they dont have a home? And what homeless are they talking about? I walk by there everyday and know most local homeless by face... they dont really hang there
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #270  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:39 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Congratulations on the Eataly news! I would say that landing one of those before Los Angeles is a very nice testament to the strength of Philadelphia's restaurant scene.
Whats so great about eataly?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #271  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:39 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
God... what a disaster.. I fear too much damage has been done... and the unions still hold alot of power there I believe

Mayor street was my professor in school... he told me they knew it was a disaster and waste of money before they even built it lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #272  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:41 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
The bolded statement is just not true. Liberty 1 and 2 and Comcast Tower all make the skyline instantly recognizable to anyone who has seen it before. Nobody is looking at the Philly skyline and mistaking the city for another one...
Exactly

Our skyline is very recognizable.. compare it to a skyline like boston or atlanta and you appreciate real quick
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #273  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:51 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
http://nakedphilly.com/graduate-hospital/chop-checks-in-with-graduate-hospital-neighbors/

I continue to find CHoP's desire to destroy the JFK vo-tech building unacceptable. There is no reason whatsoever for it to be demolished in the first phase (in fact, the footprint is where the parking lot for later phases would be); it can be used as a garage and purposed in interim; and if CHoP really does find that it can't support an overbuild, then it should demolish the existing structure only when it absolutely has to.

Where the f**k is the Preservation Alliance to stop CHoP from literally draining money away in an incredibly shortsighted decision?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #274  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:58 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Paseo Verde next to the Temple train station is complete. What an awesome design

http://www.paseoverdeapts.com/photogallery.aspx
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #275  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:09 PM
Baconboy007 Baconboy007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Paseo Verde next to the Temple train station is complete. What an awesome design

http://www.paseoverdeapts.com/photogallery.aspx
New construction with rent controlled apartments included!?! I though gentrification forced locals into the streets or the burbs?

Looks pretty good from the photos
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #276  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:09 PM
Insoluble Insoluble is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I'm assuming this isn't about my post. Because, I was clear to say:
Sorry I'm a day late and a dollar short with this, but no that wasn't aimed at your post. I was responding to a much more one sided post by someone else earlier in the thread. Sorry about the confusion!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #277  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:38 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
http://nakedphilly.com/graduate-hospital/chop-checks-in-with-graduate-hospital-neighbors/

I continue to find CHoP's desire to destroy the JFK vo-tech building unacceptable. There is no reason whatsoever for it to be demolished in the first phase (in fact, the footprint is where the parking lot for later phases would be); it can be used as a garage and purposed in interim; and if CHoP really does find that it can't support an overbuild, then it should demolish the existing structure only when it absolutely has to.

Where the f**k is the Preservation Alliance to stop CHoP from literally draining money away in an incredibly shortsighted decision?
As I read the article the footprint of the Vo Tech building will house another building, with a surface level parking lot adjacent to it. Notwithstanding, I have to disagree with you here. The building in its current form is an eye-sore, and any rehab will still conflict with the new modern motif planned at the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #278  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 10:24 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I continue to find CHoP's desire to destroy the JFK vo-tech building unacceptable. There is no reason whatsoever for it to be demolished in the first phase (in fact, the footprint is where the parking lot for later phases would be); it can be used as a garage and purposed in interim; and if CHoP really does find that it can't support an overbuild, then it should demolish the existing structure only when it absolutely has to.

. . . an incredibly shortsighted decision
I agree 1000%.

I think it's a great building. With a little imagination it could remade spectacularly, along the lines of a Tate Modern, Chelsea Market, Montgomery Park in Baltimore, Groupon HQ (just a few of many wide ranging examples).

It's so strong, I imagine it has substantial overbuild capacity as well. It will cost tons to demo, excavate old foundations, and dispose of.

It's a shame to see a building with such durability, simplicity, flexibility and (therefore) reuse potential demolished for no apparent logical reason. I wonder what CHOP's motivation is?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #279  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 10:34 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Is this literally complain about everything week in Philadelphia? Lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #280  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 10:37 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I agree 1000%.

I think it's a great building. With a little imagination it could remade spectacularly, along the lines of a Tate Modern, Chelsea Market, Montgomery Park in Baltimore, Groupon HQ (just a few of many wide ranging examples).

It's so strong, I imagine it has substantial overbuild capacity as well. It will cost tons to demo, excavate old foundations, and dispose of.

It's a shame to see a building with such durability, simplicity, flexibility and (therefore) reuse potential demolished for no apparent logical reason. I wonder what CHOP's motivation is?
Let me get this straight... we're talking about this building right?
http://goo.gl/maps/f0FU3

You'd rather save this than have two shiny new towers? I understand the towers won't be coming for a few more years but I don't see the point in fighting to save this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:45 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.