HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #241  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 7:53 PM
dab dab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by relnahe View Post
Then why is it a top 10-15 visited city for the last number of years? I hear plenty of great things from outsiders, the problem is the Negalephians.

Chicago gets raked by the media yet that doesn't affect its boosters in the way the city is promoted.
You're probably right with you're numbers, but that is simply the sense I get when talking to others. I may be wrong. I found this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-us-travel-destinations-2013-9 which ranks us 18th... which honestly seems low to me when you factor in the size of the City and the historical significance.

Also I still believe if you were hearing opinions from someone who has actually visited the city vs. opinions of someone who hasn't you'd see a big difference. Not trying to be negative, just realistic on how we are perceived. I don't think the negative feelings towards the city are justified for a second, but from personal experience thats the vibe I get.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #242  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 7:58 PM
dab dab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
The 25 floor highrise at 38th and Chestnut officially titled 38Chestnut will break ground Thursday

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...ong-in-planning-110m-development-at.html
Really looking forward to seeing this go up! Exciting to see more tall buildings to the west! .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #243  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:33 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by dab View Post
You're probably right with you're numbers, but that is simply the sense I get when talking to others. I may be wrong. I found this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-us-travel-destinations-2013-9 which ranks us 18th... which honestly seems low to me when you factor in the size of the City and the historical significance.

Also I still believe if you were hearing opinions from someone who has actually visited the city vs. opinions of someone who hasn't you'd see a big difference. Not trying to be negative, just realistic on how we are perceived. I don't think the negative feelings towards the city are justified for a second, but from personal experience thats the vibe I get.
In 2012 we actually rose to 9th

http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/28/tourism-new-york-lifestyle-travel-las-vegas-cities_slide_3.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #244  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 9:19 PM
acenturi acenturi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by dab View Post
You're probably right with you're numbers, but that is simply the sense I get when talking to others. I may be wrong. I found this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-us-travel-destinations-2013-9 which ranks us 18th... which honestly seems low to me when you factor in the size of the City and the historical significance.

Also I still believe if you were hearing opinions from someone who has actually visited the city vs. opinions of someone who hasn't you'd see a big difference. Not trying to be negative, just realistic on how we are perceived. I don't think the negative feelings towards the city are justified for a second, but from personal experience thats the vibe I get.
That reference is based on HOTEL BOOKINGS.
A better, more confirmable, reference is by Number Of Annual Visitors here:
http://www.consumertraveler.com/today/forbes-lists-top-10-most-visited-u-s-cities/
The numbers for Philadelphia have increased annually for the past 5 years. These numbers can be confirmed by the Philadelphia Visitors Bureau.

Negadelphians are here today, they'll be here when the city = Chicago and they'll be here when the city = NYC - i.e., in the next century.

I've posted this before as to how Philadelphia ranks as a "world city". These rankings are based on hard economic numbers, not on some cursory survey of tourists, hearsay, or Negadelphians. Also, IMO, a city's "greatness" cannot be measured by it's number of visually spectacular skyscrapers. These rankings are used by economists worldwide as a baseline for determining global economic dependencies.

Here are the Latest Rankings (2010):
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2010t.html (Philadelphia = Alpha-)

Here are the rankings 4 years earlier (2008). Note the dramatic increase in ranking for Philadelphia.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2008t.html (Philadelphia = Gamma)

IMO, Philadelphia's ONLY Obstacle to becoming a top world city destination - albeit an insurmountable one without a complete change in political environment (e.g., draft the NYC Mayor and cabinet), is CRIME and the news services that constantly highlight it. Unfortunately for some, the Crime statistics, although typically segregated to specific non-tourist areas, overwhelms the many world class attributes the city possesses, such as Great Museums, Entertainment venues AND Eating.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #245  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 10:05 PM
MikeNigh MikeNigh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 597
From the looks of it most american cities jumped in rank. However I don't think any other city jumped quite as far as philadelphia.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #246  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 10:42 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Wow a lot of classic Negadelphia vibes on here today. I find it had to believe that a lot of these posts are even serious. I'm definitely with summersm on this one. This incessant whining about "low quality" projects does get tiresome. If you don't like the quality of a small scale infill project that's fine, but don't act like it somehow is a black eye for the whole city or somehow makes us different from every other city in the world.

Like just about every other healthy city Philly has a lot of bland infill development interspersed between a small number of more striking projects. There's crappy looking new development in NYC too. You just don't see or hear about it much if you don't live there. The same way no one outside of Philly (other than a few fellow development geeks) will even notice Southstar lofts (which may be ugly and bland looking, but is well designed in terms of urbanity).

I suppose it's natural to complain about bland looking buildings. I for one am seriously pissed about the facade choice for Southstar lofts. But come on, you can't seriously think that a few bland buildings holds the city back. summersm already listed a bunch of great looking developments from the past decade or so (although I disagree with some of them, 1706 Rittenhouse for instance, is ugly as sin). But you have to admit we've seen some great buildings go up over the past decade and have a few more stunners coming down the pipeline.
I'm assuming this isn't about my post. Because, I was clear to say:

Quote:
I know a lot of Philly boosters have this inferiority complex and I don't think that being critical of a particular building makes Philly any less of a city. And just because a building is a boring box, is it the end all, be all? No way! 1706 is meh but it houses 40-some multi-millionaires! The PNC Building is so-so but the jobs and taxes it generates is much more important than it's architectural merits. Gotta keep things in perspective!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #247  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 10:44 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Mother of god please stop. I caught hell talking about economic policy for being unrelated to development - now we're arguing over the negative reflexivity of Philadelphians.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #248  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 11:49 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
10 changes coming to North Broad Street between Center City and Temple

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2013/12/02/ten-big-changes-coming-to-north-broad-street.php#more
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #249  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 12:03 AM
christof christof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 559
Speaking of CHOP, I see a tweet from Inga talking about the JFK bldg taking 4 months to demo and construction of first tower starting in June of 2014. Anyone has the latest drawings for it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #250  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 12:04 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Speaking of CHOP, I see a tweet from Inga talking about the JFK bldg taking 4 months to demo and construction of first tower starting in June of 2014. Anyone has the latest drawings for it?
CHOP JFK building?? Did I miss something?

Edit: Ahh! The first South Street tower. Will be exciting to see that rise next year. Should bring a good amount of jobs to the city. I hope they stick with the original height plans and don't cut it short like the Colkett Center. Speaking of that, are they ever going to complete it?

Last edited by summersm343; Dec 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #251  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 12:25 AM
shadowbat2 shadowbat2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 901
Uptown Theater restoration progress:

http://blog.preservationnation.org/2013/11/27/update-philadelphias-uptown-theatre/#.Up0dCuKQMgU

http://blog.preservationnation.org/2011/...or-a-21st-century-audience/#.Up0eleKQMgU

Quote:
The Uptown terra cotta restoration is part of the first phase of the Uptown Theater’s overall restoration/rehabilitation project. This $2.2 million preservation effort ends this summer with the installation of restored and recreated terra cotta tiles. According to Ms. Richardson, the woman-owned restoration firm, Karen Singer Tileworks of Philadelphia, conducted painstaking research and paint analysis to identify the materials and methods used to repair and recreate the signature terra cotta. “Artisans who do this kind of work are either in California or Europe. So we are pleased to have uncovered this hidden talent right here in Philly,” said Ms. Richardson
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #252  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 12:41 AM
jn00 jn00 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
CHOP JFK building?? Did I miss something?
The JFK Building is the name of the old tank factory / vocational school on the east side of the Schuylkill river where CHOP is going to expand.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #253  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 1:41 AM
relnahe's Avatar
relnahe relnahe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 978
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Philly-to-get-an-Eataly.html

Philly to get an Eataly

Quote:
For a couple of years now, word has bounced around that Eataly - the Italian food emporium founded in New York City by Mario Batali, Lidia Bastianich, and Joe Bastianich - was targeting Philadelphia.

Now with a Chicago branch opening today, Joe Bastianich offers a confirmation.

In an interview with Chicago Reader, he says that Philly is probably a year away, followed by Los Angeles and Sao Paulo, Brazil.


Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Philly-to-get-an-Eataly.html#LVbvCcjaplK7vfv5.99
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #254  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 2:02 AM
Pennsgrant Pennsgrant is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jn00 View Post
The Qdoba closed over the weekend. Perhaps for the new Pearl Properties project?

Transformative project for Chestnut. 20-25 story tower at 19th + Chestnut which may trigger the Boyd Theater(next door) renovation into the upscale movie theater.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #255  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 3:54 AM
Salonica city Salonica city is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 28
Just drove under 30th street and it looks like perp work has started on Cira walnut does anyone know if the box in between the tracks will be incorporated in the building similar to what they did with evo or will they demolish it? Because it looks like a small foot print for a building that size. And a small comment about all the negative comments from the supposed locals, I don't for a minute believe that any of these people actually live in the city because if they did they would clearly smell and see the progress it's in the air you coukdnt miss it!! I just had friends and family visit me over the holidays from Pittsburgh and they where blown away by our kickass city. Then i realized the national media is constantly hailing Pittsburgh,during sporting events,babyboomer destinations,G8 summits and so on. Which got my comparing and thinking about philly vs pitt my conclusion nothing against Pitt but Philly blows it away by leaps and bounds !!! But they don't put down there own city they try to sell and endorse it anyway they can. unlike like some of the people here I suppose they love there little city more then we love ours. People.get your stuff together we are blessed to live here.some changes are needed and they are on the horizon dut instead of bad mouthing capitalize on this city !!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #256  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:01 AM
duffey's Avatar
duffey duffey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 74
south street bridge view is beautiful because you get the density from all the mid rise rittenhouse/SW Center City towers in the foreground with the tall guys as a center piece. that said, no one ever mentions my favorite view of the skyline. driving south on roosevelt blvd right after the broad street exit. the highway there is elevated over germantown ave and wayne junction and you can see temple, ben franklin bridge, camden, the waterfront, center city, and all of university city all in a giant long expansive cityscape. none of the big six towers are fully out of view from there (the way BNY, lib 1 and lib 2 block one another from belmont plateau and walt wit). its my favorite thing about driving into the city. i almost crash and die pretty much every time, because its so hard to keep my eyes on the road.

any straight north (I76 passing south broad/stadiums) or straight south facing view (roosevelt blvd) of philly is the best because the skyline is so linear around market. any other view may be nice, but you're always sacrificing something.

p.s. philadelphia is the cradle of modern democracy. it is a one-of-a-kind city with a unique sense of community and very little in the way of superficiality and —. and its a very welcoming town. once people come here, and meet us, they love this city. anyone who says otherwise can take a walk.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #257  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:17 AM
Salonica city Salonica city is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 28
I agree with you about the south street view especially when driving west bound right before you drive by the south street exit is one of my favorites and another is Drexel park. One more I have is one from a Drexel building the old academic building the sixth floor where the school bistro is breathtaking views and Duffy you just made me even more proud then I already was about this city thank you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #258  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:18 AM
duffey's Avatar
duffey duffey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 74
BTW, things that make philadelphia great cannot be replicated in other cities. the degrees of separation between native philadelphians is so low. every time i meet another philadelphian, they know my dad, played basketball with an uncle, or i went to grade school/high school with their cousin. communities and families here go back decades and transcend generations. boston might compare in parts. nothing "great" about NYC is something i would be proud of for my city. its hollow and unfamiliar. its BIG. woohoo. fashion? banking? ego rules NY. manufacturing, textiles, medicine… those are philadelphia. hard work for the good of your people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #259  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:56 AM
Jelly Roll Jelly Roll is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salonica city View Post
I just had friends and family visit me over the holidays from Pittsburgh and they where blown away by our kickass city. Then i realized the national media is constantly hailing Pittsburgh,during sporting events,babyboomer destinations,G8 summits and so on. Which got my comparing and thinking about philly vs pitt my conclusion nothing against Pitt but Philly blows it away by leaps and bounds !!! But they don't put down there own city they try to sell and endorse it anyway they can. unlike like some of the people here I suppose they love there little city more then we love ours. People.get your stuff together we are blessed to live here.some changes are needed and they are on the horizon dut instead of bad mouthing capitalize on this city !!
I was in Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving. Very cool little city but it does not compare to Philadelphia. Having spent time in DC, Chicago, NYC, Baltimore, San Francisco, Pittsburgh and Portland over the past year I can honestly say that it is a great time for American cities. Each one has a different vibe but they all have a ton of positives aspects. Philadelphia very much is a great city especially from an affordability standpoint.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #260  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:12 AM
acenturi acenturi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 352
Here's the interview :
http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/arc...-principals-behind-eataly-joe-bastianich

Looks like it could include 10+ restaurants. Great building for it. Market8 across the street (if selected) could provide Eataly with a sizable customer segment. What I like about this place is that it should be a major catalyst that revives Market East.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.