HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1601  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 5:21 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
That's what I originally thought, but most McDonalds are no that small either. Second cup is my guess. Maybe one of the lots next to Moxies could be McDonalds.
McDonald's does have some smaller formats, the one at Bayers Lake in Halifax is quite small, reminds me of a Tims.

It won't be a KK, DD or Denny's...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1602  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 4:46 AM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,765
What about Waffle House lol? Cora's is next door afterall lol. Second Choice is a good guess. And they've been making some Burger Kings with some smaller footprints lately too but I think they are mostly around 3300 sq/ft
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1603  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 6:00 AM
Colouratura Colouratura is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 80
I so wish we would have a Chipotle move into Moncton. It would be something totally different than other food options in the area. Not burgers, subs, noodles, chicken, or pizza. Plus you can easily eat gluten free there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1604  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 2:55 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,327
It will be a long time before we will see any of these American sit-down chains here in the Maritimes. Many of them only have minimal market presence in our country. The only one of these that I have some hope of seeing around here is Denny's, which has a reasonable penetration in five Canadian provinces. PF Chang's is certainly also possible, especially since the eastern Canadian franchisor at one point specifically mentioned Moncton in his expansion plans. This is, I'm sure, still at least a few years away (if it ever happens).

In terms of Canadian chains, I would really like to see a return of Kelsey's, they used to be in Halifax and Moncton and are in every small city in Ontario. They are part of the Cara Foods empire (Swiss Chalet, Harvey's, Montana's). Another Cara product is Milestone's, a really great restaurant in the same vein as Moxie's. I would really like to see one of them here. I think St. John's is getting a Milestone's. Jack Astor's probably will get here eventually. Finally,I would like to see Baton Rouge come to Moncton, especially since the head office of the parent corporation (Imvescor) is actually located here!!

Regarding Denny's, an ideal location for this would be in Mapleton Crossing next to the new Cabela's. There would be a synergy there, and the restaurant could get considerable business from off the adjacent Trans Canada Highway. It's the sort of restaurant that would be attractive to travellers coming off the highway……..
__________________
Go 'Cats Go

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1605  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 3:42 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
I'd love to see Chipotle move in here; it's a restaurant I try to visit when I can when I'm in Vegas. It's not a sitdown chain; it's fast food, similar to Subway. But I don't know how far they're expanding in Canada so it'll probably be a while yet. For some reason they don't think Canadians like Mexican food. (Why else would Taco Bell have fries be the default with their meals instead of nachos? *sigh* )
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1606  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 6:00 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
There used to be a Kelsey's in Moncton?!

I can see Milestones, Jack Astor's, Baton Rouge or Kelsey's. The unlikeliest is Kelsey's, if it used to be here and closed, I don't think they will return. They had a Applebee's in Halifax and they closed, they used to have a TGIF in Halifax, closed too. These chains do so well elsewhere, but not in the Maritimes. Not by a long shot is Denny's coming here.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Dec 1, 2013 at 6:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1607  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 6:14 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
There used to be a Kelsey's in Moncton?!
Yep, on Mountain Road in that same building with Fairlanes Bowling and the NBLC. It was here when I first moved to Moncton in 1989 and maybe closed down about 1993 or so. I don't know why. It was quite popular….

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I can see Milestones, Jack Astor's, Baton Rouge or Kelsey's. The unlikeliest is Kelsey's, if it used to be here and closed, I don't think they will return. They had a Applebee's in Halifax and they closed, they used to have a TGIF in Halifax, closed too. These chains do so well elsewhere, but not in the Maritimes. In any event, Denny's is not coming here.
Why not Denny's? There are quite a few of them in Ontario and western Canada.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1608  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 6:37 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Yep, on Mountain Road in that same building with Fairlanes Bowling and the NBLC. It was here when I first moved to Moncton in 1989 and maybe closed down about 1993 or so. I don't know why. It was quite popular….



Why not Denny's? There are quite a few of them in Ontario and western Canada.
Very strange place for a Kelsey's. IMHO. Just plain weird.
Secondly, because US restaurant chains are not popular here (Maritimes), it's as simple as that. I have a hard time naming US restaurant chains currently in Moncton or in the Maritimes as a whole (other than fast food), they are just not here and I doubt they'll come.

I could see a Canadian chain restaurant mentioned earlier in the new Downtown Centre or once the Mapleton Centre starts doing better or is at least stable. That development left a bruise on the Moncton retail reputation, whether or not anyone wants to admit it.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Dec 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1609  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 7:55 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
IIRC there used to be a Kelseys in Fredericton too; where Jungle Jims is now, in the Smythe Street Plaza. Or maybe I'm thinking of it as a different restaurant. It's been gone since 2000's or so.

A Denny's might be good. As is, we don't have a Greasy Spoon chain here; not since Smitty's all but disappeared. It'd be nice to have a similar place come back, either as Smittys or as Dennys.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1610  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 9:48 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Secondly, because US restaurant chains are not popular here (Maritimes), it's as simple as that.
People tend to want what they don't have, but a lot of the Maritime equivalents are actually much better than the American chains. Cora's vs. Denny's is a good example. Anything seafood-related is considered a big deal in most areas and people pay a lot more money for lower quality in most of North America.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1611  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 11:10 PM
haloj haloj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
IIRC there used to be a Kelseys in Fredericton too; where Jungle Jims is now, in the Smythe Street Plaza. Or maybe I'm thinking of it as a different restaurant. It's been gone since 2000's or so.

A Denny's might be good. As is, we don't have a Greasy Spoon chain here; not since Smitty's all but disappeared. It'd be nice to have a similar place come back, either as Smittys or as Dennys.
I think that you are thinking of Keystone Kelly's. It used to be in the Smythe Street Plaza.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1612  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 11:52 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
People tend to want what they don't have, but a lot of the Maritime equivalents are actually much better than the American chains. Cora's vs. Denny's is a good example. Anything seafood-related is considered a big deal in most areas and people pay a lot more money for lower quality in most of North America.
I wouldn't count Cora's as the same class as Denny's. They both serve breakfast/brunch, but it's a different style of breakfast. (And Cora's is from Montreal, not a Maritime chain). But I get your point there a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloj View Post
I think that you are thinking of Keystone Kelly's. It used to be in the Smythe Street Plaza.
My bad, it was Kelly's. I knew it was a K name in any case.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1613  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 1:01 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Denny's is not in the same league as Cora. IHOP, Waffle House; yes, but not Cora.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1614  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:39 PM
Norshorer's Avatar
Norshorer Norshorer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 63
Too much of the same

Allow me rant for a bit as this topic is one that picks a nerve with me personally...

I think there's a stigma in the Maritimes when it comes to big American chain restos. People around here are on either too much of a health kick or are too "NIMBY" to allow these chains to succeed. Most take a stance that if it isn't Canadian, it doesn't belong here.

Restos we will "probably" never see here...

Red Lobster = Too many locals think lobster is meant to be cooked at home & don't want an American chain cooking "our" delicacy in our own backyard. How often I've been told "What's the matter? Don't know how to cook it yourself?"

Olive Garden = Most locals prefer East Side Mario's & think it's the only "Italian" resto we should have in town (they must be off their 🞵🞵🞵🞵 now that the new renos are done). Personally, I don't really care if this one shows up since both ESM & Olive Garden seem to think all their dishes deserve a thorough drowning in salt.

Sonic = It's a drive-in style resto. The only drive-in that still exist in NB (as far as I'm aware) is the Big D Danny Burger in Beresford/Bathurst. Most people in Southern NB think the idea of eating a meal in their car is "too redneck".

Dunkin Donuts = Thanks to Timmies, they've been forced out of the Canadian market. The few stores left in Montreal aren't really Dunkins and can't compare to the American version. These will likely go out of business soon.

Krispy Kreme = The health conscious crowd would throw a fit if this would ever attempt to setup shop here, plus again, Timmies would likely force them out of business due to customer loyalty.

Chipotle = As noted above, Canadians apparently don't like Mexican food (Mexicala Rossa's no longer exist in Moncton, does it?) and Taco Bell/KFC in Canada is a joke compared to the American versions. Menus are completely different.

IHOP = A resto that serves mostly pancakes? That's just crazy talk! They have a lunch menu too? Why would anyone go eat lunch at a pancake house? [Insert obligatory facepalm here].

Denny's = I have a hard time believing this would succeed here... Smithy's folded-up shop and that was a Canadian chain in the same vein as Denny's. The fact that everyone adores Cora's doesn't help either.

Overall, big American chains that succeed out in Western Canada only succeed due to Western Canadians being more "accepting" of foreign concepts. Well, the larger demographic & cultural melting pots out there likely have a big role to play in that as well.

It seems the only restos that are able to open here are ones that already exist and that's what's driving me nuts. Like how many damn Subways, McDonalds & pizza joints does the Greater Moncton Area need? Enough already... give us something DIFFERENT. I'm sure if a kale-based resto or an organic salad-only resto would open up in Moncton, they'd be packed 24/7, but an American chain we've never seen here before? I doubt it.

Crepe Delicious & Froshberg Gelato had me excited since it was different, until the owner decided that ranch dressing was the same thing as teriyaki sauce and refused to listen to me when he made my order and I saw a small Dixie-cup sized "sample" of gelato was $6. The 1909 Mountain Rd. plaza is a step in the right direction, but we definitely need a greater amount of variety than just that. It annoys me to no end when I see what we "could" have, yet don't simply because of the locals unwillingness to try new things.

It is not my intention to start any "flame wars" here, I'm just voicing my opinion on a topic that has struck a sour note with me over the years. I'm sure most people will disagree with me, but hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
__________________
Wasting space on the internet, 1kb at a time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1615  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:30 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,134
Why in the hell would you want Red Lobster in the Maritimes? We have the best seafood restaurants in North America.

As for the rest of those crappy chains, we aren't missing much. Maybe for the sake of change Olive Garden could buy East Side Mario's.

Most of the Moncton forum is pro-american chain. I believe the big box restaurant chain is a dying phenomenon as consumers become more educated about the the benefits of buying local and eating healthier food.

When Applebee's was in Halifax it did not have great reviews, TGIF's was popular however their menu today is not as good as it was when it was in Halifax IMO.

I think ELA would be a great fit for Moncton though, food and atmosphere are great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1616  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:48 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I think ELA would be a great fit for Moncton though, food and atmosphere are great.
Ela was supposed to come, but things have been quiet on that front since. They closed their downtown Halifax location. I wonder if things aren't so rosy on the financial front at Ela's.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1617  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:54 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
IMO, I'm sorely missing the Smitty's/Denny's style restaurant. Sometime I just want a greasy tex-mex skillet and you can't really get it here (in Freddy, let alone in the Maritimes now). Cora's is good, but I just want the grease sometime.

I went to an older IHOP in Vegas on my last trip down, and it was OK. Similar vein as Smittys/Dennys, and OK food in general, but not something I'm chomping at the bit to get.

I'd love more variety. I'd love a US style KFC and Tacobell, and especially a Chipolte. I don't know if it's the demographics, or what but they don't seem to want to come in to this region in force enough to succeed.

And on a flip side somewhat, I went to university in Waterloo, and a Canadian chain I'd love to see come down here would be Mongolian Grill. Used to go there a lot, and with all the Universities we have in our cities, I'm surprised Freddy, Moncton and Halifax don't have it yet. (Then again that particular chain doesn't seem to be in much rush to expand beyond SOON; they've been there 15 years or so now and not gone much beyond the KW/London/Windsor area)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1618  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 5:01 PM
Nashe's Avatar
Nashe Nashe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norshorer View Post
Chipotle = As noted above, Canadians apparently don't like Mexican food (Mexicala Rossa's no longer exist in Moncton, does it?) and Taco Bell/KFC in Canada is a joke compared to the American versions. Menus are completely different.
Mexicali's is still alive in downtown Moncton, yes.

I wouldn't mind an Olive Gardens. I like them a lot better than ESM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1619  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 6:36 PM
gehrhardt's Avatar
gehrhardt gehrhardt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
IMO, I'm sorely missing the Smitty's/Denny's style restaurant. Sometime I just want a greasy tex-mex skillet and you can't really get it here (in Freddy, let alone in the Maritimes now). Cora's is good, but I just want the grease sometime.
Dive south for about an hour and you can go to the Smitty's in Sussex. All the greasy skillets you can eat.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1620  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:01 PM
Nashe's Avatar
Nashe Nashe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
Dive south for about an hour and you can go to the Smitty's in Sussex. All the greasy skillets you can eat.
For better diner food, try Hynes (Mountain Road) or Jean's (North Mountain Road or St. George Boulevard). Both serve breakfast all day.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:08 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.