HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11421  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:11 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Came across a pretty interesting statistic today in a CBRE market report:

Quote:
"Office buildings outside of the 500m radius of a skytrain station have an overall vacancy rate of 22%, while Richmond's inventory that falls within 500 m of a skytrian station has a vacancy rate of 3.4%
We already knew the power of Skytrain on recent office development but I'd never seen it displayed this overtly. Very cool stat.
     
     
  #11422  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:16 PM
TransitJack TransitJack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 443
I saw a pic on twitter, follow @thetransitsite to see

The interior is light grey with on single wide seating at the ends. 1 + 1 vs 2 + 1. Looks like the same blue seats are being used.
     
     
  #11423  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:20 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Came across a pretty interesting statistic today in a CBRE market report:



We already knew the power of Skytrain on recent office development but I'd never seen it displayed this overtly. Very cool stat.
And yet what does Translink get out of this?

How about an extra property tax levy for those commercial spaces with X of a Skytrain station?
     
     
  #11424  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 9:06 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Came across a pretty interesting statistic today in a CBRE market report:



We already knew the power of Skytrain on recent office development but I'd never seen it displayed this overtly. Very cool stat.
The Richmond stat is distorted by the fact that there's so very little space along Skytrain to begin with. It's a microscopic sub-market. That fact won't stop people from stopping the presses and claim that Skytrain is their personal lord and saviour.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #11425  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 10:07 PM
gillty gillty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hyogo, Japan / Vancouver
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitJack View Post
I saw a pic on twitter, follow @thetransitsite to see

The interior is light grey with on single wide seating at the ends. 1 + 1 vs 2 + 1. Looks like the same blue seats are being used.
(Credit: twitter.com/thetransitsite)

     
     
  #11426  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 10:51 PM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
SkyTrain Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 2,110
The interior is essentially the Detroit People Mover now. Just white with blue seats that are turned 90 degrees at the ends.


Image Courtesy of Xuan Zhang at urbanrail.net
     
     
  #11427  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 10:59 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,768
Definitely looks cleaner than the red, white and blue scheme.
The PeopleMover seems to have horizontal bars.
     
     
  #11428  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 11:46 PM
theKB theKB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 923
they definitely look less dated now but geez, they look so small!

Every time I get into one of those MK1 trains they really do look dated and feel quite cramped.
     
     
  #11429  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:02 AM
city-dweller's Avatar
city-dweller city-dweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 357
(this may require a new thread)

This week I have heard mention of two new (re-proposed?) Canada Line stations.

In the Georgia Straight today, an article about the Pearson Dogwood redevelopment mentioned one at 57th and Cambie. web edition

Quote:
Vancouver Coastal Health’s proposal for the Pearson Dogwood Lands includes about 3,000 units of housing, a community health centre, park space, and a new Canada Line station on the corner of Cambie Street and 57th Avenue
However, later in the article Geoff Meggs says:
Quote:
“I think from the public’s standpoint, what is proposed there is a very significant 10-year development of a lot of housing, that will have supportive housing elements in it and it’s affordable housing, and possibly a new connection on the Canada line,” he said.
So, given the amount of people slated to move into the new development a new station would be a no brainer. However, the C-line capacity and additional dwell time would probably irritate those riding the whole line.

The second new station was described at the UBC Dialogs: Transportation? lecture put on by UBC alumni. FYI:The panel included Larry Frank (UBC), Ian Jarvis (CEO translink), Carole Jolly(UBC transportation), Paul Lee (City of Surrey transportation), and Ian Druce (consultant~did the latest UBC corridor study) and moderated by Steven Quin from CBC. Anyway, on the topic of funding options, when the discussion turned to DCCs, Ian Jarvis discussed the Sapperton station was being discussed with a developer volunteering to build the station Now, after I got off the floor and returned to my seat..
I would note that Ian wasn't specific to what the developer would get in exchange, but given the topic of DCCs, it is safe to say the only way they are getting that station is if the developer builds it.

So if you have more details on either project, please share.
     
     
  #11430  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:03 AM
logicbomb logicbomb is offline
Joshua B.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
they definitely look less dated now but geez, they look so small!

Every time I get into one of those MK1 trains they really do look dated and feel quite cramped.
Yeah, that crappy feeling when your knees are squishing against the metal frame of the seat in front of you.

That's why I always just wait for a MKII car during rush hour, so worth it.
     
     
  #11431  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:11 AM
Zassk Zassk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by city-dweller View Post
Ian Jarvis discussed the Sapperton station was being discussed with a developer volunteering to build the station Now, after I got off the floor and returned to my seat..
Which station? Sapperton's already built and on a different line. :-)
     
     
  #11432  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:49 AM
Ehlun Ehlun is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Which station? Sapperton's already built and on a different line. :-)
He's probably referring to Capstan Way Station which is being paid for by developers entirely. All $25 million.

http://www.richmond.ca/newsevents/city2012/capstanstnfunding.htm
     
     
  #11433  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 2:31 AM
xd_1771's Avatar
xd_1771 xd_1771 is offline
(daka_x)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metro Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,740
Ooooh I do so like those Detroit rungs that could have stanchions on them.
     
     
  #11434  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 5:14 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Yeah, that crappy feeling when your knees are squishing against the metal frame of the seat in front of you.

That's why I always just wait for a MKII car during rush hour, so worth it.
Oh my God I hate people like you People do a similar thing on the Canada Line when they wait for the train from the airport and let the one from Richmond-Brighouse pass by. It fills up the the entire platform and makes it difficult for everyone
__________________
Build transit and stuff around it.
     
     
  #11435  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 6:16 AM
Meraki Meraki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Oh my God I hate people like you People do a similar thing on the Canada Line when they wait for the train from the airport and let the one from Richmond-Brighouse pass by. It fills up the the entire platform and makes it difficult for everyone
As someone who has to deal with riders who pile on a 99 To Boundary to go to Commercial ignoring the 99 to Commercial right behind it, I encourage people to wait for the most logical vehicle.

Sure either bus gets you to your transfer point at Commercial, but you screw me over by filling the one I -actually- need when taking the other one works out for both of us.
     
     
  #11436  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 6:22 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
As someone who has to deal with riders who pile on a 99 To Boundary to go to Commercial ignoring the 99 to Commercial right behind it, I encourage people to wait for the most logical vehicle.

Sure either bus gets you to your transfer point at Commercial, but you screw me over by filling the one I -actually- need when taking the other one works out for both of us.
Well if it's literally right behind it, then sure. But you can't expect people to just pass up a bus because it goes farther than they need to go.
__________________
Build transit and stuff around it.
     
     
  #11437  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 7:10 AM
Meraki Meraki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Well if it's literally right behind it, then sure. But you can't expect people to just pass up a bus because it goes farther than they need to go.
Yes, I understand that. I mean literally two buses pulling up after a red light and they all fill the Boundary one because it happened to be in front.
     
     
  #11438  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 5:31 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Oh my God I hate people like you People do a similar thing on the Canada Line when they wait for the train from the airport and let the one from Richmond-Brighouse pass by. It fills up the the entire platform and makes it difficult for everyone
I normally don't mind the MKIs but I refuse to get on when it's 30C outside and 42C in those MKIs. I don't see a problem with waiting for a more favourable train.
     
     
  #11439  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 6:35 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I normally don't mind the MKIs but I refuse to get on when it's 30C outside and 42C in those MKIs. I don't see a problem with waiting for a more favourable train.
It all depends how full the car is too. I wonder if there's something they could do to improve airflow, if installing A/C is impossible.
     
     
  #11440  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 11:04 PM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Except they have less space because they needed to add in a drivers cabin. TransLink would be more likely to store them somewhere and pull parts off them.
So then during the rebuild, the un-needed parts that were included by the Province and TTC to keep the Ontario unions happy - like the 'driver position' - can be completely removed.

These cars could also become 'trailer cars', where the electronics needed to communicate with the OMC control can be removed, but the in-car electronics needed for operating the doors, chimes, lights, A/C, &tc are refurbished. This type of a 'Trailer Car' can be inserted between an existing Mk I pair, and they become a mated three-car unit. The trailer car will take commands from the car(s) operating the train (open doors; close doors; ring chime; &tc), and it would still have the power shoes and the LIM hardware for propulsion.

Perhaps two of these trailer cars could be inserted in the middle of a Mk I pair to create a four-car unit.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:13 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.