HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10141  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 3:48 PM
city guy city guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
I find it odd to see how many people dislike his projects. I find it incredibly refreshing to see some variety in this city. There are so many other buildings out there that are garbage designs, even new ones being proposed, I find it surprising that this one gets picked on.
its tacky, ill-proportioned, incredibly pretentious
     
     
  #10142  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 1:54 AM
easy as pie's Avatar
easy as pie easy as pie is offline
testify
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 94109
Posts: 853
hah, like, yeah, if you can't immediately identify everything that's wrong with that building, i'm not really sure why you'd be active on an urbanism/architecture/development/engineering board. like, on every plan, it's a disgrace. you have a building, the basic form of which is ludicrously underbuilt and anti-urban, you have a design team (i.e. this joker schouw) who has somehow managed to synthesize the tattiest aspects of local funeral home building (roman references, odd recesses for effect, low rise, gothic transitions), the points and columns that could very well have could out of a chinese theme park (and definitely look like they do), your textbook street de-activation with - of course - your shrubbery or whatever it'll end up being, your pastiche of materials and styles, your utterly shameless appeal to the exodus chinese types who want suburbanism within a fashionable postal code, like, need i go on?

this is almost certainly the worst thing going up/up in vancouver, and i think it's fairly straight-forward that a pro-development forum would be precisely to place where it would be ridiculed and derided for what it is: the antithesis of smart, subtle, design-forward development.
     
     
  #10143  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 6:54 AM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
hah, like, yeah, if you can't immediately identify everything that's wrong with that building, i'm not really sure why you'd be active on an urbanism/architecture/development/engineering board. like, on every plan, it's a disgrace...
Hmmm, I think wrenegade has alot of experience in that area if I remember correctly. Like him, I applaud Boffo's attempt to do something different, but it seems to me something is not quite right about their stuff.

I prefer that forgotten little Nineties condo/office bulding at Howe & Helmcken if one's doing something in that vein:



from vancouverofficespace.com
     
     
  #10144  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 10:49 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
hah, like, yeah, if you can't immediately identify everything that's wrong with that building, i'm not really sure why you'd be active on an urbanism/architecture/development/engineering board. like, on every plan, it's a disgrace. you have a building, the basic form of which is ludicrously underbuilt and anti-urban, you have a design team (i.e. this joker schouw) who has somehow managed to synthesize the tattiest aspects of local funeral home building (roman references, odd recesses for effect, low rise, gothic transitions), the points and columns that could very well have could out of a chinese theme park (and definitely look like they do), your textbook street de-activation with - of course - your shrubbery or whatever it'll end up being, your epastich of materials and styles, your utterly shameless appeal to the exodus chinese types who want suburbanism within a fashionable postal code, like, need i go on?

this is almost certainly the worst thing going up/up in vancouver, and i think it's fairly straight-forward that a pro-development forum would be precisely to place where it would be ridiculed and derided for what it is: the antithesis of smart, subtle, design-forward development.
Not sure how you can denounce this place so badly, without saying a word on all the sterile looking glass spandrel and metal cladding designs that are all the rage in SEFC. The white marble glass displays are for art exhibits. A pretty decent way to engage the pedestrian? No?

Just to get where you're coming from, what is a superior architectural design to this? There looks to be 2 (high end) materials in play here. And tell me why Grace 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵, because you keep avoiding that question. There's something you're not telling us.
     
     
  #10145  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 5:15 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
You guys will love it when it's fully finished:

Not that this is a bad thing: it looks like an institutional sort of building one might find in mid-town of a big city - a church, a library, a legal building, or such. It is VERY different from it's neighbours, and people may be reacting subconsciously to this "jarring" effect, but it's not tall, not overpowering, certainly different, and seems to make for a lot of opinions.
At first, I thought "YUCK." Now I think, "HEY, WAIT ... PERHAPS NOT BAD ..."
     
     
  #10146  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 9:12 PM
Bankview's Avatar
Bankview Bankview is offline
Ach, du.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Downtown - Vancouver, BC
Posts: 231
Quote:
Yaletown
They seem to be repainting Chateau Granville? Does anyone have some information on the extent of these exterior renovations?

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this...

I found the blunt brutalism of this hotel quite appealing, nevertheless, the building was incredibly worn and dreary looking in its poorly maintained state. But, I sense that simply painting over the concrete is a poor solution to the problems it faced.

I found these images on on the Chateau Granville twitter feed.



__________________
'If you want to breed Mexicans on your farm, fantastic. Dress them up as little sailors, that'd be fun. Bravo.' - Stephen Colbert
     
     
  #10147  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 5:03 PM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
hah, like, yeah, if you can't immediately identify everything that's wrong with that building, i'm not really sure why you'd be active on an urbanism/architecture/development/engineering board. like, on every plan, it's a disgrace. you have a building, the basic form of which is ludicrously underbuilt and anti-urban, you have a design team (i.e. this joker schouw) who has somehow managed to synthesize the tattiest aspects of local funeral home building (roman references, odd recesses for effect, low rise, gothic transitions), the points and columns that could very well have could out of a chinese theme park (and definitely look like they do), your textbook street de-activation with - of course - your shrubbery or whatever it'll end up being, your pastiche of materials and styles, your utterly shameless appeal to the exodus chinese types who want suburbanism within a fashionable postal code, like, need i go on?

this is almost certainly the worst thing going up/up in vancouver, and i think it's fairly straight-forward that a pro-development forum would be precisely to place where it would be ridiculed and derided for what it is: the antithesis of smart, subtle, design-forward development.
I've mentioned this before with regards to this project, but don't blame the urban form on the architect/developer. It meets the zoning bylaw for a site of that size in the Downtown South neighbourhood. If you have a problem with the density and height, direct your complaints to the planning department at city hall. Also, the "textbook street deactivation" is no different on this project than any number of townhouse anchored towers anywhere else in Yaletown and Downtown South. Helmcken and Hornby are both not strong retail streets.

As for the design itself, I suppose it's personal preference. I like the Iliad, I like the Grace and the Drake and I like this project. I've heard some of the buildings (the Grace specifically) have some shortcomings on the interiors, but there are many many buildings that have that issue. I have a much bigger issue with a building like the Mark, a 400' eyesore of clear glass, sharp angles and spandrel panels. I honestly don't care that the height and density is much larger on that building, yes it makes sense for the location but I think it could have been executed much better. I also take issue with Wall's tower at Drake & Richards, specifically the south facade that has a 400' exposed concrete wall at the lane, 100' of which will protrude above the adjacent building and will be revealed to everyone in South False Creek as the site abuts a view cone.

I am not pro-development for the sake of development. I like to see good, interesting design accompany that development, and that doesn't necessarily mean everything must be made of glass and concrete and be 400'+ tall.
__________________
Flickr
     
     
  #10148  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 9:41 PM
Built Form Built Form is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 697
Signage for Old Navy going up today. Smaller than I thought but it will add more neon to the street.

pic by Built Form
     
     
  #10149  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 10:51 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Thanks for the update. Do you have a shot that shows the building as a whole?
     
     
  #10150  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 11:13 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
I'm hearing through the grapevine that the office tenant for this project has pulled back and will be putting a bunch of the office space back on the market.
     
     
  #10151  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 12:15 AM
rsxstock rsxstock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 274
old navy still exist?
     
     
  #10152  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:35 AM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Nice to see Artemisia coming along. I think it's a pretty decent building on a quiet corner of downtown. The vitriol I find to be quite confounding.
__________________
Just chimin' in.
     
     
  #10153  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:41 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post
Nice to see Artemisia coming along. I think it's a pretty decent building on a quiet corner of downtown.
It's not a quiet corner of downtown, as if such a thing really exists anyway. It's kitty corner to One Wall Centre, directly adjacent to two commercial office buildings and a stones throw from Burrard Street and St. Paul's hospital. It's as downtownish as it gets, save the central business district.
     
     
  #10154  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:50 AM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
It's not a quiet corner of downtown.
I lived at the The Canadian for five years and spent loads of time out on the street in front of the building. People would regularly comment how quiet they thought the street was and I wholeheartedly concurred. If you want to believe otherwise, be my guest.
__________________
Just chimin' in.
     
     
  #10155  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 6:12 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
I've spent loads of time there too. St. Paul's probably has the busiest emergency room in Western Canada and with all the ambulances taking off and arriving just 50 metres away, it's probably noisier than most places downtown, including the central business district, especially at night.
     
     
  #10156  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:25 PM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I've spent loads of time there too. St. Paul's probably has the busiest emergency room in Western Canada and with all the ambulances taking off and arriving just 50 metres away, it's probably noisier than most places downtown, including the central business district, especially at night.
Well as a casual observer you would certainly know that better than someone that lived there.

"it's *probably* noisier". Looks like you're wavering on that position now.
__________________
Just chimin' in.
     
     
  #10157  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:56 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I've spent loads of time there too. St. Paul's probably has the busiest emergency room in Western Canada and with all the ambulances taking off and arriving just 50 metres away, it's probably noisier than most places downtown, including the central business district, especially at night.
Ambulance noise is a funny thing. I lived at the 501, facing north, and there's an ambulance bay on the same block of Richards. They used to turn out there but rarely turn on their sirens until they got going. I didn't hear much of anything.

Now I live in Yaletown and my window unit faces both Pacific Blvd and the Cambie St bridge. There are a ton of ambulances (and fire trucks, etc) that use Pacific to get where they are going, and scream across the Cambie St. bridge to and from VGH.

I guess my point is that you really need to spend some time in a particular area to know the routines and what you can expect from a noise perspective, not just assume noise because you see a red hospital sign.

p.s. Surrey's ER is the busiest in BC by far. St. Paul's might not even be second.
     
     
  #10158  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 9:26 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post

Well as a casual observer you would certainly know that better than someone that lived there.
I already indicated I'm not a casual observer. I have intimate knowledge of that corner. My girlfriend lived in the southwest corner of the Imperial Tower for two years and I spent countless nights there. It's noisy. The frequent ambulance noise from St. Paul's was a constant nuisance and is why she eventually left.

It's just false to describe Helmcken & Hornby as a "quiet" corner of downtown. It's not.
     
     
  #10159  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 9:51 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Laramidia
Posts: 12,783
I think its "quiet" as far as pedestrian or even vehicular traffic but not quiet as far as sound goes.
__________________
Peak SSP:

28C is hotter than 42C
Vancouver is not on the ocean but Quebec City is.
     
     
  #10160  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 9:56 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I think its "quiet" as far as pedestrian or even vehicular traffic but not quiet as far as sound goes.
I agree, as far as downtown is concerned, that would be considered a quiet corner, flanked by busier streets on Burrard and Howe. That is why the city turned Hornby to include biking lanes because of a relatively low vehicular traffic volume. Not many people walk along that street in that area due to a lack of retailing.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.