HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5081  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 5:56 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
We need to build a series of above ground private property tunnels linking various attractions such as the salt palace, gateway, and other various places along Main and such.. Then we can walk around town via the tunnels and drink beer
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #5082  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 8:32 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Good plan, and kill off any street vibrancy that we have.
     
     
  #5083  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 1:14 AM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Actually, my biggest complaint about the new Ronald McDonald house is that it is NOT very traditionally safe, in that it messes up proportions of traditional architecture, which makes it look terrible and not very "safe" traditionally. While I'm not a big fan of using traditional building forms today, I would like it a LOT more if it had stuck to traditional building norms, instead of becoming a Frankenstein creature.
It seems like it comes from the West-Jordan-City-Hall School of Terrible Design:

     
     
  #5084  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 2:16 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Come on architects.

A new, modern looking school.



Not a new, modern looking school.



Yes, this is a new school.
     
     
  #5085  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 3:56 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
I guess I'm just not understanding what you guys are upset with. What proportions of traditional architecture are being messed up? It looks pretty traditional to me.

One thing I love about this structure is how they took into account it being the terminus of 900 East. It's wonderful seeing attention being paid to Urban Context in this day and age.
I'm going to hate driving up 900 E and having to see that monstrosity every time. Put some good architecture at the top of a street that you have to see all the time.
     
     
  #5086  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 6:09 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
     
     
  #5087  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 6:16 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
Yeah, the rendering looks like it came out of Sandy circa 1990, but there are lots of mediocre office buildings on South Temple... they're just obscured by trees. Here's hoping

     
     
  #5088  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 11:56 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
I guess I'm just not understanding what you guys are upset with. What proportions of traditional architecture are being messed up? It looks pretty traditional to me.

One thing I love about this structure is how they took into account it being the terminus of 900 East. It's wonderful seeing attention being paid to Urban Context in this day and age.

http://img.ksl.com

At this point of construction I tend to agree with you farmerboy. The rendering we have isn't the finest quality one could ask for, but I have the impression that if they make good choices on the materials, it will be an attractive building. IMO, I don't think it even begins to approach the many bad choices made with the exterior elements such as window designs and placement, roof balance, overall squat appearance etc. shown on the West Jordan City Hall. For me, the jury is still out until I see the brick, it's texture and palette, Also the stone, and how it's balances out the brick. The detailing of the balcony fascia should be extremely important. Ultimately, will there be enough of a three dimensional quality with how functional and decorative masonary elements protrude from the face of the building? Is this just going to be another flat, one dimensional, cheap imitation of an historical structure, or will it have the same three dimensional fascia qualities that make historical structures so charming and interesting?

Last edited by delts145; Sep 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM.
     
     
  #5089  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 3:20 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
Come on architects.



Yes, this is a new school.
Okay, that's really bad. Is that local?
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #5090  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 5:57 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
WAHOO. I can finally comment.

I really don't mind the design of the Ronald McDonald house. I actually like it in that neighborhood. I think it will age well.

With regards to the modern projects being built. I worried that they will go the same way of the (old) Public Safety Building and the KenGarff(per-refacing). They will become dated in a few decades because of neglect. I will give credit to the New Public safety building. That is impressive.

Last edited by EPdesign; Sep 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM.
     
     
  #5091  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 6:30 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I like the Ken Garth building. It's a very old design that really is one of a kind here in SLC. Same can be said about the old PSB, however I questioned due to poor condition if the building could be saved. Guessing the cost would be way more to repair vs just building a new building. Hope who ever buys the old building could save the building much like what we seen with the Ken Garth building. Both are keepers.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #5092  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:12 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I agree, I like the look of the former PSB. If it is structurally stable or at least rehabable, I think the former PSB would make a great residential tower. The first floor would make for excellent retail/restaurant space, with some sidewalk dinning opportunities.
     
     
  #5093  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:01 PM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
I concur about the old PSB. I hope (wish?) it can be saved. Actually, I like it a lot more than the new building, which seems like a really nice suburban building (e.g. poor street engagement, more supply of plaza space than demand dictated, etc.).

Also, a public official said to a Tribune reporter (not me, someone else) that it should last 60 or so years (I got this secondhand though, so take it for what it's worth). That seems like an awfully short lifespan for a great building.

As for the old PSB, are there any actual plans for it/its site?
     
     
  #5094  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:32 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I am a fan of the Ken Garff Building but I do not love the old PSB. I realize that they're very similar in style and perhaps if the building was cleaned up and windows were added on the bottom floor giving it a street presence, I may change my mind. The building's fate is definitely controversial. There are those in the Administration that would like to see the building preserved and there are others that want it auctioned off to the highest bidder. As public property its sale or disposition will have to occur in a public manner. That won't probably happen for a while as the Police Department hasn't actually moved all of their operations into the new PSB yet.
     
     
  #5095  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:07 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
I just found out about this today, but they're doing another Instagram Instameet this evening, meeting at the SLC Main Library at 7. I think at 7. The last one I attended was in Sugarhouse, and it was a lot of fun. Civic-minded, architecture-appreciating nerds with their Smartphones. If you're into that kind of stuff, might be worth checking out. If I weren't teaching teachers this evening, I'd be there.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #5096  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:21 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Okay, that's really bad. Is that local?
Probably not in Salt Lake, but it is in the mountain west.
     
     
  #5097  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:57 PM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
Also tonight, Envision Utah is apparently having an open house at the City Creek Harmons to discuss a downtown streetcar.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151590839331561&l=ed176b7eaa
     
     
  #5098  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:45 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Here is a new tower in Houston that I think would fit perfectly in the SLC skyline.



Maybe some extra plocks with a spire could be added.



I'd be nice as a CCH or as an office tower where the godforsaken Carl's Jr is. I don't know. I just felt like sharing.
     
     
  #5099  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:12 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
new development at 700 south and west temple + 3 new companies moving into SLC

3 companies announce plans to bring 1,100 new jobs to Utah

Quote:
The School Improvement Network will also be involved in transforming an abandoned downtown Salt Lake City building into a 21st-century green workspace. Located on the corner of 700 South and West Temple, the renovation will not be part of the agreement but is an additional way the company is contributing to local economic growth, explained public relations manager Abigail Shaha.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86558...plans-to-bring-400-new-jobs-to-Utah.html
     
     
  #5100  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:23 AM
Merewether's Avatar
Merewether Merewether is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 8410*
Posts: 201
Building banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
I am a fan of the Ken Garff Building
Obviously, given my avatar I am too. BTW, the pictured object is a coin bank.
Coin banks in the shape of buildings (real or generic) are collectible , see eBay for examples.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:45 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.