HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5061  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 1:38 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
FYI - 101 has topped out.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #5062  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 2:29 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Would anyone be able to get some photos of 101?
     
     
  #5063  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 5:55 AM
Boz's Avatar
Boz Boz is offline
of SLC
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Smells like Commie Clown farts in here
Posts: 255
Here's a link to my Salt Lake Comic Con fotoz: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bozfoto/sets/72157635432043636/

Cheers
     
     
  #5064  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 5:35 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Great pics! I didn't see too many costumes when I was there. Most costumes were outside of the Salt Palace. I really like this shot of the busy road with 99 west in the background.

I'll have to remember to repent now.
     
     
  #5065  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 5:46 PM
H4vok's Avatar
H4vok H4vok is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Heber City, UT
Posts: 336
101 Boyer


101 Boyer by H4vok_13, on Flickr
     
     
  #5066  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 9:49 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
Perhaps something like a Daylight and Building Component Award. I don't know. I'm just really impressed with the focus on making the building very attractive.
Do you know what LEED Certified is? LEED certified encompasses things like the use of daylight in the design.

I'm not sure it will win any architectural awards though, considering it is a very similar building to one in San Francisco (I believe that's where it is)
     
     
  #5067  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 10:04 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Do you know what LEED Certified is? LEED certified encompasses things like the use of daylight in the design.

I'm not sure it will win any architectural awards though, considering it is a very similar building to one in San Francisco (I believe that's where it is)
I do realize what an LEED Certificate is. I wonder which was designed first, 111 or the SF building?

Thanks for the 101 picture. I like that angle.
     
     
  #5068  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 12:56 AM
gusam26's Avatar
gusam26 gusam26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City/Los Angeles
Posts: 223
101

Will tower 101 have retail space?
     
     
  #5069  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 1:39 AM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I'm not sure it will win any architectural awards though, considering it is a very similar building to one in San Francisco (I believe that's where it is)
Salt Lake City's Main Library is awwwfully similar to the Vancouver Main Library, but it still won a lot of awards.

Really, I just hope 111 is a good addition to our city, no matter how similar it is to that one in SFO.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #5070  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 1:53 AM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
I'm sorry, but lately people on this forum seem to think that Lego collections have something to do wth development downtown....and it's kinda annoying. I know I sound like a prude, but I'm just pointing out that other people have been told to stick to the topic in the past, sometimes by the very people that are now posting about Legos constantly. Can we please stay on topic? Thanks.
Yeah, my apologies -- Lee was pointing this one out in particular because I'm a forum member, and...yeah. So, thanks Lee.

And sorry downtownslcresident. I'll try to refrain from posting about LEGO stuff. Besides my off-topic posts about various LEGO shenanigans, there had been a lot of forum discussion about encouraging a LEGO Store (among other retailers) to get into the Gateway or City Creek Center, which, for many residents, is the same retail status symbol as say, a Trader Joe's. A sign that your city/community has grown enough, and is well-regarded enough, to support a specialty store. So a lot of the discussion about the LEGO Store I'd say is very much on-topic and a natural fit for the forum, much as the discussions about Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Cheesecake Factory, H&M, Sephora and other recent Wasatch Front additions have been.

That said, I'm sure after the LEGO Store opens in Fashion Place Mall September 20, the posts will die down.

Again, my apologies for the off-topicness. I'm sure the majority of it has been my fault. My need for medication has been well-documented.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #5071  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 1:58 AM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
OMG!!! This is one of the ugliest buildings ever.
I sure don't like it--I think it's both boring and ugly. But I also wonder if the excessive plainness and traditional safeness of it is somehow meant to be comforting? Maybe that's what they were going for? I dunno. I think there are other, better designs that could have gotten to the same place. But hey. Ronald McDonald House.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #5072  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 2:00 AM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Youuuuuuu just said you wanted a Horror Convention!!

FWIW, there was a lot of horror-related stuff at the Comic Con. But probably not the horror you wanted.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #5073  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 2:18 AM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
I was at the Comic Con Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday (setting up, and manning, and taking down, the Utah LEGO Users Group display)(which was pretty freaking amazing http://www.flickr.com/photos/14632327@N03/ ), and I think it caught a lot of people off guard at how many people did attend. On the Comic Con's Facebook page this morning, they posted:

According to fire marshals and Salt Palace Convention personnel we had 70-80,000 people attend Saturday which makes 2013 Salt Lake Comic Con the largest 1st year Comic Con in the nation.

The Governor's office tells us we had the largest convention of any kind in the State of Utah.

You were a part of history. Next year Salt Lake Comic Con will rival San Diego, thanks to you.

There were some glitches, without a doubt. We will make sure that next year, things will be better in every way.

When Stan Lee tells you at the last minute he's willing to come to Salt Lake City for your first Comic Con, do you say, "Sorry Stan, we don't have enough time to plan for your participation."

When Adam West and William Shatner tell you in the last week that they will agree for the first time in history to be on stage together, do you say, "Sorry Gods of Geeks, we don't have enough time to plan for this."

We did the best we could. And we hope that you, our fans, sponsors, vendors, volunteers, guests will look at the best that we did, rather than the worst. You'll find whatever you're looking for.

Thanks again for making this a super fun, record breaking event.


So...yeah. If they were able to, they should have expanded into the other part of the Salt Palace Convention Center that extends across 200 South. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds next year. If they can use the numbers to attract bigger names, and expand the venues, will the people that got burned this year come back? Would that even matter if the geeks that loved it this year came back in 2014 and each brought several friends? If people from neighboring states saw this as an alternative to the San Diego Comic Con (which has a lot of these same issues, despite it being in several convention centers and hotels across SD)? I dunno. When they're throwing around numbers like 80,000 attending just on Saturday, that's a big deal. I figure either next year it'll be twice as big, or it will implode. Either way, it'll be exciting to see.

And thank glob it wasn't at the South Towne Expo Center.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #5074  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 6:33 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
I like how one of the comments on the lego article was something to the effect of "how much you wanna bet that guy was at comic con..?"
     
     
  #5075  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 1:09 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
I like how one of the comments on the lego article was something to the effect of "how much you wanna bet that guy was at comic con..?"
That's a pretty easy bet...
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #5076  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 9:42 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I sure don't like it--I think it's both boring and ugly. But I also wonder if the excessive plainness and traditional safeness of it is somehow meant to be comforting? Maybe that's what they were going for? I dunno. I think there are other, better designs that could have gotten to the same place. But hey. Ronald McDonald House.

Actually, my biggest complaint about the new Ronald McDonald house is that it is NOT very traditionally safe, in that it messes up proportions of traditional architecture, which makes it look terrible and not very "safe" traditionally. While I'm not a big fan of using traditional building forms today, I would like it a LOT more if it had stuck to traditional building norms, instead of becoming a Frankenstein creature.
     
     
  #5077  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 11:55 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusam26 View Post
Will tower 101 have retail space?
I believe there's going to be a few retail space infront of the parking garage facing 200 east next to the office building.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #5078  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 1:46 AM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Actually, my biggest complaint about the new Ronald McDonald house is that it is NOT very traditionally safe, in that it messes up proportions of traditional architecture, which makes it look terrible and not very "safe" traditionally. While I'm not a big fan of using traditional building forms today, I would like it a LOT more if it had stuck to traditional building norms, instead of becoming a Frankenstein creature.
THAT'S why it looks so weird. See, I know when things look "off," but not why. Unfortunate.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #5079  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 2:18 AM
farmerboy's Avatar
farmerboy farmerboy is offline
farmerboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 307
Ronald McDonald House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Actually, my biggest complaint about the new Ronald McDonald house is that it is NOT very traditionally safe, in that it messes up proportions of traditional architecture, which makes it look terrible and not very "safe" traditionally. While I'm not a big fan of using traditional building forms today, I would like it a LOT more if it had stuck to traditional building norms, instead of becoming a Frankenstein creature.
I guess I'm just not understanding what you guys are upset with. What proportions of traditional architecture are being messed up? It looks pretty traditional to me.

One thing I love about this structure is how they took into account it being the terminus of 900 East. It's wonderful seeing attention being paid to Urban Context in this day and age.
     
     
  #5080  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 5:51 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
That is awesome how well Comic con did.. We need to exploit this to the max and take on San Diago.. Salt Lake has a much more geek friendly culture .. I think we can build on this..

If only we had a nice 40-50 story hotel.. Perhaps we could attract even more people for stuff like this and ODR

Hint hint
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:29 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.