HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5041  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 10:40 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Every time I think 111 couldn't get any better..... it does. I really hope this tower is awarded more than just an LEED certificate. A lot of work has gone into making this building the best it can possibly be.
     
     
  #5042  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 10:58 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
.... I really hope this tower is awarded more than just an LEED certificate. A lot of work has gone into making this building the best it can possibly be.
What do you mean by you hope it gets awarded more than just a LEED certificate? The design is targeting LEED Gold.
     
     
  #5043  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 4:17 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
OMG!!! This is one of the ugliest buildings ever.


Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
This was taken back in June by John Martin. Anyone in the area able to give us an update?

Ronald McDonald House


http://img.ksl.com


Pic By John Martin

.
     
     
  #5044  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 4:43 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
What do you mean by you hope it gets awarded more than just a LEED certificate? The design is targeting LEED Gold.
Perhaps something like a Daylight and Building Component Award. I don't know. I'm just really impressed with the focus on making the building very attractive.
     
     
  #5045  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 5:09 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
OMG!!! This is one of the ugliest buildings ever.
Maybe not the ugliest ... but definitely ugly.
     
     
  #5046  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 5:12 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Comic Con tonight was very crowded and lively. The streets were full and Trax was loaded. These photos really don't describe how jam-packed it was.





Now for some reason, it ended at 8PM. I got there at 5:30PM, so I was only able to explore about a quarter of the place. It should keep going until at least 10PM! But still great fun.

I really like these views of the city from the Salt Palace. 222 and the American Condo Towers look really good. 111 will make a huge impact from right here.





Most hotels I noticed were all lit up with people looking out the windows taking photos of the city. Restaurants were full of people wearing extravagant costumes. Let's hope next year's convention brings even more people to Utah!

Oh, by the way. William Shatner and Adam West were hilarious together at their panel. Everyone laughed the whole time.
     
     
  #5047  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 5:34 AM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
nice pics!

And yeah, I left my office at the Gateway about 7 pm and saw a train from SL Central to downtown. It had four cars (usually I think there'd just be two or three at that time of day) and they were pretty much all full. Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
Comic Con tonight was very crowded and lively. The streets were full and Trax was loaded. These photos really don't describe how jam-packed it was.





Now for some reason, it ended at 8PM. I got there at 5:30PM, so I was only able to explore about a quarter of the place. It should keep going until at least 10PM! But still great fun.

I really like these views of the city from the Salt Palace. 222 and the American Condo Towers look really good. 111 will make a huge impact from right here.





Most hotels I noticed were all lit up with people looking out the windows taking photos of the city. Restaurants were full of people wearing extravagant costumes. Let's hope next year's convention brings even more people to Utah!

Oh, by the way. William Shatner and Adam West were hilarious together at their panel. Everyone laughed the whole time.
     
     
  #5048  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 6:00 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
     
     
  #5049  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 1:41 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
The following images were taken yesterday just about 12:15pm:





The above images show just the line outside after the event had been open for between 1 and 2 hours. The line stretched to the Museum of Contemporary Art. We estimated there were at least 5,000 people just outside at this time.

Also, when Trax would stop at the West Temple stop, the majority of people came and joined the line. Trax even with running 4 cars on all trains has been packed. Some people heading to downtown were told that the train was full and to take the next one.

Now, some of the following images may be blurry but that is what happens on camera phones. There were taken from inside the Salt Palace about 1:00pm. No, I didn't attend, I just walked through after lunch:







The next image is of the various lines. The line closest to the main show floor (right side) are just waiting to go to the show floor. This line extended outside and wrapped up West Temple (Line shown in outdoor pics). The other line (left side) is waiting for one of the panel discussions. There were some smaller panel discussion lines through out the area with large lines as well.



This image is just to show the size of the main panel discussion line:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5473/9690632587_ce487cdf5a_z.jpg

2 More lines for various panel discussions:





All of those I was with as we walked through the Salt Palace after lunch estimated that there was about 25,000 people inside.

Now to give a sense of scale for the number of people, I have walked through Outdoor Retailer events and yesterday felt a lot more crowded.

I think that today (Saturday) will be even more crowded. Ticket sales as of Thursday were over 39,000. The on-site registration yesterday as we left was about 1/2 full, so you can add at least another 5,000 to that total. Today is going to be bigger when you add Stan Lee, William Shatner, Adam West and Burt Ward to the panels.

I can't wait for next years event as I expect it to be even bigger than this one.

If anyone did go today (Saturday), please posts some pics
     
     
  #5050  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 2:36 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Utahn petitions for Lego to make Muppet blocks
KSL.com

SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah man is trying to combine his love of two different toys by petitioning Lego to make a line of Muppet figures.

Quinn Rollins is a Social Studies Specialist for Granite School District, but he said one of his true passions involves building and creating toys. He said that since he was a young boy, he loved the unlimited creativity that Lego blocks gave him, and now he loves seeing his two young sons experience it as well.

"I love seeing my two sons play with Lego in ways that I wouldn't think of myself," Rollins said. "I still love building with Lego as an adult, even though the things I build now might be different than what I would have done when I was a kid."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26755921&nid=711...muppet-blocks&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-5
     
     
  #5051  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 2:59 PM
downtownslcresident downtownslcresident is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 114
I'm sorry, but lately people on this forum seem to think that Lego collections have something to do wth development downtown....and it's kinda annoying. I know I sound like a prude, but I'm just pointing out that other people have been told to stick to the topic in the past, sometimes by the very people that are now posting about Legos constantly. Can we please stay on topic? Thanks.
     
     
  #5052  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 5:18 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
I'm sorry, but lately people on this forum seem to think that Lego collections have something to do wth development downtown....and it's kinda annoying. I know I sound like a prude, but I'm just pointing out that other people have been told to stick to the topic in the past, sometimes by the very people that are now posting about Legos constantly. Can we please stay on topic? Thanks.
The guy in the story is a member of this forum, thought I would just share the info where we can vote and surrport.
     
     
  #5053  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 5:37 PM
Boz's Avatar
Boz Boz is offline
of SLC
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Smells like Commie Clown farts in here
Posts: 255
Comic Con was amazing and packed yesterday. I have tons of images but I'll put them on my flickr account and post a link here later. Very cool.

The dusty salt cloud that enveloped the city for a few hours in the evening wasn't very nice, but...
     
     
  #5054  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 6:44 PM
farmerboy's Avatar
farmerboy farmerboy is offline
farmerboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
OMG!!! This is one of the ugliest buildings ever.
I think it's cute.
     
     
  #5055  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 8:04 PM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
I just saw from several sources on Twitter that ComicCon is officially sold out with 50,000 tickets sold. The fire marshall apparently won't let any more people in.

I saw a lot of positive comments, but also a lot of complaining about the impossible lines and huge crush of people. I wonder what this means for the future...
     
     
  #5056  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 8:25 PM
youngatheist youngatheist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 19
I was in line waiting for like an hour and they said it was sold out around 12:20 ish. You were good if you had bought tix online but I hadn't so I was screwed. Line was super long and roundabout.
     
     
  #5057  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 9:03 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Well, going back to the earlier discussion about the impact comic-con might have on the convention center hotel, I think it will have quite an impact. I don't know about hotel rooms, but it has demonstrated an immediate need for more exhibit space.
     
     
  #5058  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 12:44 AM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Having been to Comic Con, and other conventions, I was surprised to see that not all of the Salt Palace was used. The lines were ridiculous because there was a lot of people, and they didn't rent out the whole Salt Palace, so everyone was sandwiched in.

All wasn't lost, though. Stan Lee's panel was only 15 or so minutes long, but it was pure gold through and through.

This year's event was only expected to be like 5k people whe they started putting it together, but it ended up being 50k. Yes, they should have stopped selling tickets at a certain point, so everyone could get their money's worth (people with wrist bands were waiting outside for hours to come in); but by not capping it until 50k, our city was able to show the true extent of our demand. I am sure next year's event will have more headlining celebrities, be better organized, and feature more entertaining booths/exhibits.
     
     
  #5059  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 12:49 AM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
The guy in the story is a member of this forum, thought I would just share the info where we can vote and surrport.
I thought it was great thay you posted it. We should all be supporting Jedikermit as he petitions LEGO; Afterall, LEGO's are the quintessential development toy!
     
     
  #5060  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 1:38 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
I was also at comic con.. Pretty Awesome. I had prepaid online but when I got there.. A dude was standing outside yelling through a megaphone that they were sold out and he was turning down craploads of people. He also was saying that comic con would be back... Salt palace reached its small limit I guess :/

For the William Shatner and Stan Lee event I was lucky enough to get in the main auditorium.. But once again.. Not enough space.. They had to put a lot of people in some overflow room with a screen :/

They mentioned a few interesting tidbits during the events... Sounds like salt lake was the biggest FIRST YEAR comic con ever.. I'll have to look in to that.

Also they mentioned extending it by two days next time..

It was very crowded and I heard severely people complaining about the size of the salt palace..
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.