HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10041  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 8:19 PM
officedweller officedweller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,799
That was always in the design. Angles may be a bit different than rendered.
     
     
  #10042  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 10:24 PM
officedweller officedweller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,799
The old warehouse building at the NW corner of Beatty & Smithe - next to the former DIX - is being redeveloped for La Salle College.
     
     
  #10043  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 1:51 PM
Dylan Leblanc's Avatar
Dylan Leblanc Dylan Leblanc is online now
Website Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Onni's office addition to the podium of L'Aria on Robson (the H-Mart building):
Pic by me yesterday:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/1boc.jpg/
Interesting, what's the story here? Amenity space never used?

Pic of how it used to be - https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=49.280262,-123.118933&spn=0.000393,0.000555&t=k&deg=270&z=21
     
     
  #10044  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 2:53 PM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
....

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM.
     
     
  #10045  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 6:35 PM
officedweller officedweller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,799
I think they just wanted more office space.
Not sure if they own the space (starta) or lease it (I recall they were supposed to occupy office space at their "Level" project down the street, but took this space (previously occupied by a fitness club) when that space was delayed. Not sure if the residents had access to the space or not.
If I were a condo owner on the new podium rooftop, I'd have insisted on a big expanded roofdeck for the diminution of view.
     
     
  #10046  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 12:20 AM
officedweller officedweller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
The building in question, I believe:

Ugly Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr
Pic of that renovated office building on Davie by Darrellinyvr on Flickr.
I think I like the "before" cladding (but not the base) better...


http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrellinyvr/page3/

Last edited by officedweller; Aug 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM.
     
     
  #10047  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 3:37 AM
Sir Conga's Avatar
Sir Conga Sir Conga is offline
Be nice.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 353
     
     
  #10048  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 3:52 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Thanks for the updates.

I do hope the restoration/conversion of the Beatty Gate includes relocating those unsightly power cables attached to the front of the heritage façade:


http://farm1.staticflickr.com/155/330454634_1d6e460476_z.jpg

Last edited by Prometheus; Aug 30, 2013 at 4:06 AM.
     
     
  #10049  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 2:38 PM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pic of that renovated office building on Davie by Darrellinyvr on Flickr.
I think I like the "before" cladding (but not the base) better...


http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrellinyvr/page3/
I agree. Its been homogenized.
     
     
  #10050  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 3:09 PM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Viewed in person, rather than just through a photograph, this building has been dramatically improved. It used to make me cringe walking past and was such negative entrance to Davie Village. One drab photo doesn't capture the change.
     
     
  #10051  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 4:54 PM
jozero jozero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 350
Wow the new building at Robson and Granville is ugly. What could of been a marquee showcase for a very popular area instead looks like an office building in Red Deer. How the heck did that get approval ?
     
     
  #10052  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 6:39 PM
EdinVan EdinVan is offline
EdInVan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sodom and Gomorrah
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozero View Post
Wow the new building at Robson and Granville is ugly. What could of been a marquee showcase for a very popular area instead looks like an office building in Red Deer. How the heck did that get approval ?
I wouldn't even dignify it by calling it a building. I don't know WHAT it is. I try to close my eyes when I walk past it. Shameful.
     
     
  #10053  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 6:42 PM
EdinVan EdinVan is offline
EdInVan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sodom and Gomorrah
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pic of that renovated office building on Davie by Darrellinyvr on Flickr.
I think I like the "before" cladding (but not the base) better...


http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrellinyvr/page3/
Its primary redeeming quality is that it doesn't look like a parking garage anymore.
     
     
  #10054  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 9:00 PM
Sir Conga's Avatar
Sir Conga Sir Conga is offline
Be nice.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
I wouldn't even dignify it by calling it a building. I don't know WHAT it is. I try to close my eyes when I walk past it. Shameful.
Wierd, because I was there the other day and enjoyed how well the building looked on that corner. Fits quite fine in my opinion.
     
     
  #10055  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 9:26 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
I really like it to. Looks great!
     
     
  #10056  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 11:57 PM
EdinVan EdinVan is offline
EdInVan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sodom and Gomorrah
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Conga View Post
Wierd, because I was there the other day and enjoyed how well the building looked on that corner. Fits quite fine in my opinion.
I find it very incoherent. It's a random mish-mash of elements. A dull curtain-wall box would've looked better. The only good thing is that it reflects the lights of the Future Shop video screen at night, which animates the corner a bit more.
     
     
  #10057  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 12:20 AM
easy as pie's Avatar
easy as pie easy as pie is offline
testify
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 94109
Posts: 853
yeah, that davie street building is a sad loss, i used to love that one though, again, the base with that walk up pavilion area was terrible.
     
     
  #10058  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 3:25 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
Its primary redeeming quality is that it doesn't look like a parking garage anymore.
I loved the original 60's cladding but from a practical standpoint it provided little views and light for the tenants. The lower section was 80's-ized and was, therefore, ruined, so the re-do looks much better. Perhaps a bit of cladding, similar to the original, would have referenced the 60's style a little better.
     
     
  #10059  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 3:51 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
That lattice work on the front was brutal! So glad to see its gone
     
     
  #10060  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 12:09 AM
Jebby's Avatar
Jebby Jebby is offline
........
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
That lattice work on the front was brutal! So glad to see its gone
Me too.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:17 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.