HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #361  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:15 AM
kevinbottawa kevinbottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Jon Willing posted on the Ottawa Sun Liveblog a graphic showing the final options for the exterior colour-scheme and design of the trains:


(http://iwitness.ottawasun.com/Event/LIVE_Transit_Commission_debates_LRT_station_names/85877543)

According to the Live blog, the bottom-left option was the final chosen colour/design scheme (as was shown earlier in this thread).
I like the top left and top right designs. I didn't like the swoosh on the winning design, but it looks a bit nicer on the top left option.
It's a shame they didn't let the public see these designs before choosing one even if it was just online for two weeks. How hard would that have been?

About Pimisi Station, it's still ridiculous. Being inclusive is nice, but not when it gets in the way of common sense. Stupid decision. At least Bloess has sense.
     
     
  #362  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:17 AM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
it doesn't, trust me. Toronto receives exactly $0 from the province for TTC operations and maintenance.
They receive gas tax funding like everybody else.

J.OT was referring to Ottawa's eternal frustration at constantly being ignored by a Toronto-centric province. Toronto projects get way more capital funding. Look at all the new LRTs and the Air Rail Link. Paid for entirely by the province. While our Confederation Lane is only 28% paid for by the province.
     
     
  #363  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:23 AM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
always suggesting something different, I liked the look options shown in this, personally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAub0eX6u2w

but like gjhall said; it's really no big woo.
     
     
  #364  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:31 AM
eemy's Avatar
eemy eemy is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,425
I hate the the swoosh; it looks extremely dated to me. Consequently, the only design that I don't find completely awful is the centre left, and that gets a resounding meh from me. I would much rather something plain like in the original renders, and ditch the maple leaf theme entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
You wouldn't mind at all if Ottawa just painted its trains white? Or maybe hot pink? Or how about if the design depicted heritage grass?
Honestly, I'd rather a hot pink train than any of the options shown.
     
     
  #365  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:49 AM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I hate the the swoosh; it looks extremely dated to me. Consequently, the only design that I don't find completely awful is the centre left, and that gets a resounding meh from me. I would much rather something plain like in the original renders, and ditch the maple leaf theme entirely.



Honestly, I'd rather a hot pink train than any of the options shown.
I too preferred the centre left design. Not super enthused, but best of a bad situation. The whole curvy line thing looks, like you said, dated.

McC, the one you are referring to was my second choice;

Number one choice;



Number two choice;

     
     
  #366  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:36 AM
S-Man S-Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Why we need an online vote. The design with the most vote wins; first past the post.
I'd agree to this 100%

Quote:
Honestly, I'd rather a hot pink train than any of the options shown.
Can't have pink trains going into tunnels! This is a civilized transit system. No giggling.
     
     
  #367  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 3:41 AM
bartlebooth bartlebooth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
PLEASE REMEMBER TO BREATHE, everyone.

If I may present my personal "reality check opinion" ... having lived in London where many many many stations were either named in commemoration of something or for less than significant parts of the areas they were in, I can't say that it hampered my ability to get around. With an LRT in place, most businesses, attractions, etc, will make a point of advertising and going by the station they are nearest to. Stations are important, and while wayfinding oriented names are useful for mobility, they have a way of defining an area and creating an identity as well. Pimisi does not currently have geographical meaning, but it will very quickly. Regardless, right now Lebreton, while historic, has no functional meaning either. It's not like there's a neighbourhood there! And besides, the station is there to serve a diverse area: Nanny Goat Hill, Chinatown, Little Italy, the War Museum, connections to Hull sector, and access to the river and eventually to the Chaudiere redevelopment area.

It's perfectly fitting. We're building an LRT, it's a wonderful new piece of infrastructure, not the very soul of the nation.
I agree with what you are saying. I'm not really sure that I understand all of the outrage over this whole thing. Lebreton seems just as arbitrary to me as Pimisi (and yes I understand the history of the site and surrounding areas).
     
     
  #368  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 3:48 AM
Buggys Buggys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Jon Willing posted on the Ottawa Sun Liveblog a graphic showing the final options for the exterior colour-scheme and design of the trains:


(http://iwitness.ottawasun.com/Event/LIVE_Transit_Commission_debates_LRT_station_names/85877543)

According to the Live blog, the bottom-left option was the final chosen colour/design scheme (as was shown earlier in this thread).
I'd go with the head of the bottom left (more elegant leaf), and body of the middle left (none of that wierd red line or too-bold red).
And if these are the only 6 options, I'd have to side with the City and go with the bottom left.
     
     
  #369  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:38 AM
S-Man S-Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
I agree with what you are saying. I'm not really sure that I understand all of the outrage over this whole thing. Lebreton seems just as arbitrary to me as Pimisi (and yes I understand the history of the site and surrounding areas).
Except, it isn't.

Listen: one night long ago, on LEBRETON FLATS, a man cooked the first meal in history using electricity.

Could this, perhaps, be revolutionary? Have you or anyone else in the developed world ever done this? You know, cooked without fire? Do you think something like this could be seen as interesting or worthy of a sign, or maybe a display board?

You know, the inventor of the electric stove - an Ottawa boy, went on to also create the city's electric streetcar system (122 years before we started digging ours?) Brought telephones and electric light to the city, too. You know, because it was a capital city and could need those things?

Tell me you know this guy's name. Tell me a location in Ottawa where a visitor can prominently read this information and think about how it applies to their life in modern Canada. Tell me where.

Oh, but we can read about eels while standing right where this forgotten achievement happened. I swear if Henry Ford had been born in Ottawa, you'd never hear of it. A shameful secret, I would be. Not cosy and postmodern enough.
     
     
  #370  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:41 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
What I really hate about the suposedly "winning" design is that it it's a "swoosh" or curvy line like the top-right corner but it's just an arc. Reminds me of an OC Transpo Rainbow, which I do not like. -___-

Also, our trains will be going underground, overground, winter, summer, won't white trains get really gross and dirty as opposed to if they were grey or red?
     
     
  #371  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:46 PM
cr872190 cr872190 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 414
So are they officially behind schedule now? I know the slide show said the tunnel was supposed to start in July but I dont think serious work on that site started till second week of August. Have they released any word on when the actual tunnel will start? And does anyone know whats happening with the depot at train yards?
     
     
  #372  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:37 PM
S-Man S-Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,639
I always thought the real digging was supposed to happen in the latter part of August, with preliminary work around the entrances happening beforehand.

Still, if no boring machine shows up at either end by the end of the month, I would then consider work to be behind schedule.
     
     
  #373  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 5:24 PM
eternallyme eternallyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,243
Do we know yet what the operational service levels will be? For example, the frequencies and service hours.
     
     
  #374  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 5:26 PM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is offline
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,705
On the Moscow subway

David Reevely August 21, 2013. 4:17 pm • Section: City Hall


Coun. Marianne Wilkinson said something at Wednesday’s transit commission meeting about the LRT station plans that’s worth picking apart a bit. She remembered visiting Moscow in the 1960s and how grand its metro stations were, and she wondered if maybe Ottawa’s LRT plans are maybe a little too utilitarian.

OC Transpo people responded that well, they’re meant to be functional, though not too stark. They’ll have some ornamentation, and they’ll be designed with a lot of common elements but enough extra touches that we’ll be able to distinguish one from another.

It’s really easy to make some fun of anyone who’d compare any train or subway system to Moscow’s, which was built on purpose to be the absolute grandest in the world. Beginning in the 1930s, Josef Stalin wanted the Moscow metro to be a monument to socialism, proof that anything capitalism could do, communism could do better. It ran faster than New York’s subway, had bigger and more richly appointed stations, and was generally treated like a national project into which the whole Soviet industrial identity was poured. He put Lazar Kaganovich (the “Iron Commissar,” one of the architects of the artificial Ukrainian famine and a fanatical Stalin loyalist) in charge and spared no expense.

I mean, of course it’s nice. Building it that way was crazy in the first place and copying it would be crazy now.

That said, the Moscow metro was so impressive that Wilkinson remembers it 50 years later. The way a city builds its major civic infrastructure says a lot about it. Residents ride transit daily; it’s essential to a lot of visitors’ impressions of a place, too, and what they think the locals think is important.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2013/08/21/on-the-moscow-subway/
     
     
  #375  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 9:29 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Do we know yet what the operational service levels will be? For example, the frequencies and service hours.
I remember when going through city documents seeing these weekday frequencies:
-Every 3 minutes at rush hour
-Every 5 minutes at almost all other time periods
-Every 10 minutes in the early morning and late evening (I can't remember but I think it was before 5am and after 9pm).

I can't remember what the plans are for Saturdays/Sundays, but I do remember seeing that on Friday & Saturday nights the 5-minute frequency period will be extended to midnight.

The system in its opening-day state can have minimum headways of 2 minutes, 1.5 minutes is possible with upgrades.

Lebreton (sorry, Pimisi) will also have a very large platform area to accommodate crush loads at Bluesfest. I presume the downtown stations will have the same thing for Canada Day, although I haven't read that.
     
     
  #376  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 9:50 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Lebreton (sorry, Pimisi) will also have a very large platform area to accommodate crush loads at Bluesfest. I presume the downtown stations will have the same thing for Canada Day, although I haven't read that.
If they can find the Bluesfest site on LE BRETON FLATS.
     
     
  #377  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 9:58 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
So are they officially behind schedule now? I know the slide show said the tunnel was supposed to start in July but I dont think serious work on that site started till second week of August. Have they released any word on when the actual tunnel will start? And does anyone know whats happening with the depot at train yards?
According to CBC a week or two ago, they will start digging the central shaft at the Place de Ville surface parking lot (and then digging east and west from that central shaft) in August next year.

Last time I went to the future Belfast Yards a month ago, they were well on their way to clearing the whole site of those hideous light industrial and commercial buildings.

As for the Moscow Metro comment, Ottawa's system is fairly pedestrian. I wish we would have gone a step up with open stations, 150 meter platforms and a third CBD station (1. Bay-Lyon, 2. centered under Bank and 3. Metcalfe Elgin and keep Rideau Station in its current location). At the end of the day, the design still beats every Canadian system except for Montreal (IMO).
     
     
  #378  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 10:48 PM
bartlebooth bartlebooth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Except, it isn't.

Listen: one night long ago, on LEBRETON FLATS, a man cooked the first meal in history using electricity.

Could this, perhaps, be revolutionary? Have you or anyone else in the developed world ever done this? You know, cooked without fire? Do you think something like this could be seen as interesting or worthy of a sign, or maybe a display board?

You know, the inventor of the electric stove - an Ottawa boy, went on to also create the city's electric streetcar system (122 years before we started digging ours?) Brought telephones and electric light to the city, too. You know, because it was a capital city and could need those things?

Tell me you know this guy's name. Tell me a location in Ottawa where a visitor can prominently read this information and think about how it applies to their life in modern Canada. Tell me where.

Oh, but we can read about eels while standing right where this forgotten achievement happened. I swear if Henry Ford had been born in Ottawa, you'd never hear of it. A shameful secret, I would be. Not cosy and postmodern enough.
Wasn't it Thomas Ahearn and not LeBreton (if that is the case wouldn't Ahearn Station be better as a name then LeBreton especially when you consider that fact that Ahearn was also involved in establishing the Ottawa Electric Railway Company)? He is credited by some as inventing the first electric oven.

Regardless, don't we already have a LeBreton Street in Ottawa? There is a LeBreton Gallery in the Canadian War Museum, and then there is LeBreton Flats. I am not trying to diminish his achievements (his military activities are most interesting to me) but I feel like his name is recognized in this city. I do not believe that by changing the name of this station we are wiping this part of our history off the map.

This site has a rich and interesting history both before and after LeBreton. It is also of particular importance to the Algonquin people so why not include them in this process. I don't see the problem with Pimisi as a name and as I said before, I really do not get all of the outrage.
     
     
  #379  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 11:04 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
Wasn't it Thomas Ahearn and not LeBreton (if that is the case wouldn't Ahearn Station be better as a name then LeBreton especially when you consider that fact that Ahearn was also involved in establishing the Ottawa Electric Railway Company)? He is credited by some as inventing the first electric oven.

Regardless, don't we already have a LeBreton Street in Ottawa? There is a LeBreton Gallery in the Canadian War Museum, and then there is LeBreton Flats. I am not trying to diminish his achievements (his military activities are most interesting to me) but I feel like his name is recognized in this city. I do not believe that by changing the name of this station we are wiping this part of our history off the map.

This site has a rich and interesting history both before and after LeBreton. It is also of particular importance to the Algonquin people so why not include them in this process. I don't see the problem with Pimisi as a name and as I said before, I really do not get all of the outrage.
To me it's not about honouring LeBreton or anyone else. The whole point of naming a transit station is to have a geographically accurate name; tell people where they are.

If you want to honour a person, aboriginals or whatever, by naming/renaming something, name streets/bridges (new or existing with a generic name) or buildings. Bloess suggested renaming one of the islands Pimisi, now that would had made sense.
     
     
  #380  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 11:04 PM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
Wasn't it Thomas Ahearn and not LeBreton (if that is the case wouldn't Ahearn Station be better as a name then LeBreton especially when you consider that fact that Ahearn was also involved in establishing the Ottawa Electric Railway Company)? He is credited by some as inventing the first electric oven.

Regardless, don't we already have a LeBreton Street in Ottawa? There is a LeBreton Gallery in the Canadian War Museum, and then there is LeBreton Flats. I am not trying to diminish his achievements (his military activities are most interesting to me) but I feel like his name is recognized in this city. I do not believe that by changing the name of this station we are wiping this part of our history off the map.

This site has a rich and interesting history both before and after LeBreton. It is also of particular importance to the Algonquin people so why not include them in this process. I don't see the problem with Pimisi as a name and as I said before, I really do not get all of the outrage.
I have to agree somewhat with your last statement. I mean, it's not my favourite name in the world, but I can live with it. With that being said, why can't they do what they are doing with Tremblay station (and I believe Rideau station) and add a subtitle of "LeBreton" or "Chaudière" or "Booth"?!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:21 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.