Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR
Ok I will work on this. Thanks for bringing this glaring error on reality to my attention lol..... 
|
I was only half serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR
it might not look different from afar....but you are incredibly foolish if you think there hasn't been a massive transformation on street level in the downtown area. it would be pretty neat to have a condensed video of pedestrian traffic in various areas circa a firday night in 2008 and compare it to one now.
|
That I agree with. Street level, downtown is night and day compared to even 5 years ago. The streets are busier, the businesses are more plentiful and varied, the panhandling is more subdued, and yes, more lots have been filled in.
I'm a strong advocate for putting the street before the skyline, and Edmonton has done great in that regard. That being said, it can't hurt that, in addition to these massive improvements at street level, we can't also have some refresh to the skyline. Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and soon Montreal have managed both.
Keep in mind that is that I was just playing devil's advocate. While I don't know if the city will have such a dramatic transformation as some are wishfully thinking here, I do think that Edmonton's progress c. 2013-2018 will be leaps and bounds above the progress made c. 2008-2013. The new arena pretty much guarantees that, even if the towers aren't fully built out by then.