HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5901  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 10:52 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Possibly I needed a better tour guide, but I stayed at the downtown Ramada. My views of the skyline weren't from the highway. I took the C-train and also walked to the other side of the belt line (where Mountain Equipment Co-op is located).
You absolutely needed a tour guide. The Ramada is in a dead zone west of the best part of Stephen Ave (between 4 St and Olympic Plaza- there is NOTHING "sterile" or uninviting for pedestrians about this stretch; it's absolutely clotted with people especially on nice days and comprises The Core mall which is nice in any season, breathtaking even). And you went to MEC- you didn't proceed the six blocks to 17th?? That's insane. That'd be like if I went to Edmonton, stayed in some boring part of downtown, crossed the High Level Bridge from downtown and ate at the High Level Diner without even proceeding to 82nd. Terrible choices.
     
     
  #5902  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 10:54 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
I've never been a fan of Calgary's skyline, but I gotta say that lately it's been growing on me. The new projects look pretty cool.
Wow, that's exactly how I feel about Montreal.
     
     
  #5903  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 11:07 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Great Vancouver "must-see/do" list. I need to go!
     
     
  #5904  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 11:08 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
LMAO, I can't believe the name was actually changed. Good stuff, I definitely got a crack out of it. While we are at it, I love all of our skylines, each is unique and brings forward a completely special character from the last.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #5905  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 11:11 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
You absolutely needed a tour guide. The Ramada is in a dead zone west of the best part of Stephen Ave (between 4 St and Olympic Plaza- there is NOTHING "sterile" or uninviting for pedestrians about this stretch; it's absolutely clotted with people especially on nice days and comprises The Core mall which is nice in any season, breathtaking even). And you went to MEC- you didn't proceed the six blocks to 17th?? That's insane. That'd be like if I went to Edmonton, stayed in some boring part of downtown, crossed the High Level Bridge from downtown and ate at the High Level Diner without even proceeding to 82nd. Terrible choices.
My God. If you need to have such a precise and restrictive itinary to appreciate the city...
     
     
  #5906  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:06 AM
ue ue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post

Vancouver is absolutely leagues ahead of us and, in my opinion, every other city in Canada (except I haven't been to/lived in Montreal like I have all of the other major cities so I don't know personally).
Really? Even ahead of Toronto? Sorry, I just have a tough time comprehending Vancouver being a league above Toronto in its urbanity. Maybe you're meaning by a different metric though? Natural beauty is something Vancouver beats every other large city in Canada at, as is mild and agreeable weather year-round. On the urban front, though, I find Vancouver quite underwhelming, and not that far ahead of places like Calgary or Edmonton. Certainly not as ahead as BC-lusting Albertans seem to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
i didn't find vancouver really felt like canada's "third big city"; urbanity-wise, it was like a very well-located ottawa with lots of condo towers.
I agree to a point. I wouldn't call it Ottawa-esque, but Vancouver definitely doesn't feel very big city. Or maybe you could say it feels big city only due to the absence of a real big city out West. It's like a smaller Seattle or a more international and yuppie-fied Portland urbanity-wise.

It definitely doesn't have the amenities of Canada's true big cities -- Montreal and Toronto. I'm not sure why this is, though. I mean, Vancouver does an excellent job in a textbook way at creating an inviting urban realm, and does amazingly well at building sustainably. But it still feels sleepy to me. Or maybe it isn't really sleepy, but due to hype, I end up expecting more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
You could say the exact same thing about Montreal and Toronto. Canadian cities are all work in progress.
This as well as any CBD is bound to be sleepy outside of the regular business hours. Even New York City.
     
     
  #5907  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:28 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
You absolutely needed a tour guide. The Ramada is in a dead zone west of the best part of Stephen Ave (between 4 St and Olympic Plaza- there is NOTHING "sterile" or uninviting for pedestrians about this stretch; it's absolutely clotted with people especially on nice days and comprises The Core mall which is nice in any season, breathtaking even). And you went to MEC- you didn't proceed the six blocks to 17th?? That's insane. That'd be like if I went to Edmonton, stayed in some boring part of downtown, crossed the High Level Bridge from downtown and ate at the High Level Diner without even proceeding to 82nd. Terrible choices.
But I walked from the Ramada all the way to Centre Street, checked out most of the surrounding streets, then walked north to the river (Chinatown). Isn't that the CBD? Granted these are only first impressions from a one day trip to Calgary, but I was pretty sure I covered a good swath of the CBD on foot.

I did go to the Core Mall and that pedestrian mall close by which were both very nice, but expected the whole area between the belt line and the river to be equally appealing. I suppose it will be one day.
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 9, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
     
     
  #5908  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:42 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Absoluely, I agreed with almost every point you made. It's definitely the route I want us to take, and it is going that route. There are a few full-residential towers going up too that should help. Unfortunately most of this is in the west end, which already has most of downtown's residential. But City Centre II, Telus Sky, Waterfront, the International Hotel Addition and the towers going up in the East Village should really bring downtown to a new level, hopefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Large parts of Calgary's downtown are pretty uninviting and sterile, that's for sure, but it is massively better than it was just 10 years ago. The large business district is pretty empty in the evenings (save for Stephen Ave) but there is lots going on around the periphery of downtown. More condo towers are being built now, but Calgary had to hit a point where you couldn't drive to the edge of the city in rush hour to inspire more people to live closer to the core, and with traffic getting worse by the day, this trend will only accelerate.
I hope I wasn't too harsh, but thought people might appreciate an outsider's first impressions. I think Calgary is going to be a fabulous big city and it's exciting times for sure.

I also agree with you that Calgary is doing all the right things; it will just take some time.
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 9, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
     
     
  #5909  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:58 AM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,676
ah fukit
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #5910  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 1:05 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Possibly I needed a better tour guide, but I stayed at the downtown Ramada. My views of the skyline weren't from the highway. I took the C-train and also walked to the other side of the belt line (where Mountain Equipment Co-op is located). Don't get me wrong, Calgary is an immensely impressive place for its size. I suppose I'm waiting for it to morph into one of north America's great cities and want it to happen yesterday.

I really want to visit Vancouver next. I'm sure I'll find the scenery/setting breath taking, but I suspect the city itself might under whelm. My friends that are from there or have visited have all told me not to expect a big bustling city. If I go there with that mindset, I'll end up being disappointed.
Why don;t you ask Flar about this, and view his Vancouver photo threads, according to his comments he was very surprised how urban Vancouver is and how much he enjoyed its urban fabric, and believe it was also a lot busier than he imagined.

I sometimes suspect those who say "the don't feel it is Canada's third largest city" etc... either were in Vancouver at horrid times (for example, on a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 rainy December day) or simply went to the wrong places.

Riding the Canada line daily (aka the tourist airport line) I have probably heard 9 to 1 good / impressed / surprised how busy Vancouver is comments to disappointed / boring comments.

Many are impressed off the bat with our automated train system, hehe.

If you do come, ask me for some good spots to see, urban and natural.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #5911  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 2:15 AM
urban_planner urban_planner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 824
Here are a few more from Hamilton!
someone else has posted some from my flickr I might as well post some!









if you go here http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/gods_eyes/

You can see more of what I have take from Hamilton, Including the waterfalls!
__________________
I think its the best city of its size on earth.
     
     
  #5912  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 2:28 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Calgary will feel quite large in 5 years. There are hundreds of condo units and bunch of good sized highrises under construction. Seeing how we have embraced urban living at an early start, thing should really come together soon.
Yaletown and Downtown South were basically built from scratch in about 20 years to a population of around 50 000 people, and I believe the West End was built in about 2 decades as well. With Calgary growing at a faster rate than Vancouver, it's certainly theoretically possible for Calgary to do the same thing.

The Beltline is on it's way to becoming a super vibrant neighborhood (it is already), but I would hope Calgary does a better job (than Vancouver) of creating more interesting retail spaces along burgeoning high streets because there doesn't appear to be a lot of older neighborhoods in Calgary that can be rehabilitated to create a character 'hood. Garrison Woods should be a template for new neighborhoods.

http://peakexperienceimagery.com/


WRT Toronto vs Chinese cities, I try to refrain, but I can't help but comment... I don't know why any official list is necessary when one need only look at photographs of these cities to see how much larger they are than Toronto, even 20 years from now.
     
     
  #5913  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 2:32 AM
KnoxfordGuy's Avatar
KnoxfordGuy KnoxfordGuy is offline
New Brunswick booster!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 2,241
Great Hamilton shots!
     
     
  #5914  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 2:52 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Those are some of the best Hamilton skyline photos I've ever seen! Bravo!
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #5915  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 4:40 AM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
Amazing Hamilton shots!

Really like the first one.
     
     
  #5916  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 4:55 AM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,797
Very nice Hamilton views. I like the W Loft sneaking in the one.
     
     
  #5917  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 5:09 AM
G.S MTL's Avatar
G.S MTL G.S MTL is offline
MTL♥
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,496
EDIT. is it just me or was this thread called "The great Toronto skyline vs all other cities in Canada or something like that???

WEIRD.
__________________
Montreal, Pearl of Canada.
Population: 4.6 Million

Last edited by G.S MTL; Aug 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM.
     
     
  #5918  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 5:28 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,991
I have a feeling Vancouver is easily under-appreciated by visitors looking for city things, much like LA. People who think LA is just like an East Coast city go downtown, wander around a bit, and leave underwhelmed. At the end of the day though there is a lot more stuff going on there than in most other cities in the US, just like there's a lot more going on in Vancouver than in most other cities in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
either were in Vancouver at horrid times (for example, on a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 rainy December day)
Some cities are better than others, but every city in Canada has bad winter weather. It is hard to imagine somebody from another part of the country visiting Vancouver in the winter and not realizing that it isn't like that year round, but maybe it happens.

Last edited by someone123; Aug 9, 2013 at 5:38 AM.
     
     
  #5919  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 6:22 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Why don;t you ask Flar about this, and view his Vancouver photo threads, according to his comments he was very surprised how urban Vancouver is and how much he enjoyed its urban fabric, and believe it was also a lot busier than he imagined.

I sometimes suspect those who say "the don't feel it is Canada's third largest city" etc... either were in Vancouver at horrid times (for example, on a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 rainy December day) or simply went to the wrong places.

Riding the Canada line daily (aka the tourist airport line) I have probably heard 9 to 1 good / impressed / surprised how busy Vancouver is comments to disappointed / boring comments.

Many are impressed off the bat with our automated train system, hehe.

If you do come, ask me for some good spots to see, urban and natural.
I found downtown Toronto sleepy when I moved here in 2001; and still find it a bit pedestrian. It's likely good advice from my friends not to expect Vancouver to be busy. They do know me well. Flar's threads? They're very good, but they do seem to support what my friends have been telling me. That said, I will take you up on your offer when I make it to Vancouver.

Love your Kamloops photos, btw. It's more on my to do list than Vancouver actually. It's possibly my favourite landscape in the country.
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 9, 2013 at 6:49 AM.
     
     
  #5920  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:53 PM
franktko's Avatar
franktko franktko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
this is a stupid thread.
lol. No, I'd say the weather thread is pretty stupid

Nice aerial shot this morning in La Presse...

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:41 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.