Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83
Ok, let’s move on to the ridership projections, which also immediately looked wrong to me. If you could dig up the report that would help and I’ll get back to this later this evening. I’ll just make a few comments now from what I remember. As I recall, the report showed a large increase in jobs predicted for the area serviced by the SETWAY, and yet it only predicted a modest increase in ridership. Again I submit that this doesn’t make sense on its face. Not only will the large time savings produced by the dedicated roadway that only public transit can use give it a huge advantage over commuting by car, but beyond that the increase in jobs in this area will produce a lot of new commuters, going both ways.
|
Use of LRT to commute outside the downtown core is much less than commutes into the core. Reason, free or close to free parking at the employer for people outside the downtown core. Unless the city smacks noncore commuters with $400 per month parking fee, they will continue to drive to work. This is the reason for a large employment increase without a corresponding increase in LRT users.
To put this into practice, I work about 4 minute walk from Chinook Station with about 250 other souls. We might have 10 people using transit to get to work. The others either drive (like me) or car pool. When I worked in the downtown, I commuted via train from crowfoot to downtown.