HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8921  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 11:26 AM
Copes's Avatar
Copes Copes is offline
Millennial Ascendancy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Looking forward to that, and it would be nice if they did some more outlying scenic areas and small towns in more detail, although the coverage is quite good considering there are some relatively large towns or cities in the US that are not even done yet.
I saw them in the Goulds, does that count?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8922  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 11:47 AM
AllBlack AllBlack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Looking forward to that, and it would be nice if they did some more outlying scenic areas and small towns in more detail, although the coverage is quite good considering there are some relatively large towns or cities in the US that are not even done yet.
I know they did around Conception Bay last time. I can view my place in Harbour Main on street view.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8923  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:14 PM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
Hey guys - in case you are interested in seeing a new crowd-sourced resource for tracking development in Toronto, here it is:

http://thedirt.co

It's about 6 months old and it's the best service, at least in Toronto, for tracking development in a very clear way. However, for now it's only tracking condos. It may be of interest.

It's fun to think about where condo development is taking places and reconsidering how development trends are evolving in nodes - downtown, yorkville, the junction (along the GO train line headed west).

It's an interesting platform.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8924  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 8:39 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
Tiffany Towers request to increase its height to 16 storeys is up for approval at Monday's council meeting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8925  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 8:42 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
The Stantec proposal for a 6-floor building near the Steel Hotel is also on the agenda.

As is this renovation on Cabot Street:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8926  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 5:33 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
Via The Rooms livecam, the back of TD is now done:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8927  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 5:35 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 7,642
finally
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8928  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 10:28 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
finally
Nice, I agree - it looks better actually from that angle because the top is now a unified colour with the rest of the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8929  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 11:21 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Nice, I agree - it looks better actually from that angle because the top is now a unified colour with the rest of the building.
I agree as well. Next on the agenda is to re-clad that hideous Fortis building next to it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8930  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 1:46 AM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
The red brick is FINALLY GONE!!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8931  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 2:09 PM
Horsell's Avatar
Horsell Horsell is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Tiffany Towers request to increase its height to 16 storeys is up for approval at Monday's council meeting.
They might be able to slip that one through during the quiet summer session. Too bad everything doesn't come up during the summer.

Some interesting reading in the Agenda regarding Glencrest and how the developers want to proposed new/different zoning for the city to consider so that they can develop it as a fully planned community. I hope they are successful.

Finally, it has been pretty quiet here lately, I guess everyone is taking the time to enjoy the weather. Cheers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8932  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 9:13 PM
techie techie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Tiffany Towers request to increase its height to 16 storeys is up for approval at Monday's council meeting.
Approved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8933  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 9:15 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
Yay!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8934  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 10:05 PM
cam477 cam477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB / St. John's, NL
Posts: 144
The 6 story expansion to Technip's building at 430 Water Street was approved as well.

Also, the old Tulks Glass site on Lemarchant has been almost completely cleared and site prep seems well underway for those condos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8935  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 4:59 AM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/07/22/toronto-church-parklets.html

Might be interesting. Parking spots/lots in Toronto's Church-Wellesley neighbourhood will be seasonally converted to outdoor seating and public space - aka "parklets"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8936  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 10:42 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
Winnipeg did that (albeit somewhat poorly) when I lived there. Doesn't take much - and people really do use them because it feels naughty and cool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8937  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 3:13 PM
Copes's Avatar
Copes Copes is offline
Millennial Ascendancy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/07/22/toronto-church-parklets.html

Might be interesting. Parking spots/lots in Toronto's Church-Wellesley neighbourhood will be seasonally converted to outdoor seating and public space - aka "parklets"
I've read about this in other cities as well. It's a neat idea. Would be neat on Water Street, although I don't know what sort of reaction we might get.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8938  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 8:24 PM
yelphie yelphie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: St. John's
Posts: 2
I looked a few months back in the forum and everyone was talking about a 23-story mixed use building downtown, and then I couldn't find a trace of it.
What happened to that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8939  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 9:43 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelphie View Post
I looked a few months back in the forum and everyone was talking about a 23-story mixed use building downtown, and then I couldn't find a trace of it.
What happened to that?
LOL, it was a ruse, a lie, a deception, apparently the product of someone's overactive imagination, perhaps just to see what the reaction would be and liven up the rumours thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8940  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 9:46 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 7,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelphie View Post
I looked a few months back in the forum and everyone was talking about a 23-story mixed use building downtown, and then I couldn't find a trace of it.
What happened to that?
We got mega trolled. Not our proudest moments
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:22 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.