HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2961  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 12:17 AM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That wasn't an office they opened but a new flagship branch. The administrative offices are still in the 54,000 square foot building at the Bay/Albert/Lyon/Slater block.
Ah, ok. I was wondering...didn't seem like a big enough space for them. Wishful thinking on my part
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2962  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 1:30 AM
NOWINYOW NOWINYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
What sort of windmill was this? A new one or the old, Dutch type? I could just imagine seeing the older one overlooking Dow's Lake, so majestic it would have been.
It would have been the old Dutch type. Certainly not one of those hideous-waste-of-money-and land-for-virtually-no-purpose types.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2963  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 1:56 AM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
It would have been the old Dutch type. Certainly not one of those hideous-waste-of-money-and land-for-virtually-no-purpose types.
—... Another missed opportunity in my opinion It would have made a nice addition to the Dow's Lake area, adding a much needed attraction for tourists, especially around the time of the Tulip Festival. Alternatively, if noise was an issue, the Experimental Farm would have sufficed.

I suppose it's kinda late now to retroactively accept the gift...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2964  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 3:35 AM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
Yep. NIMBYs helped kill the windmill.
Good thing, too, before the windmill had a chance to go rogue and start killing property values and children.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2965  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 3:58 PM
kevinbottawa kevinbottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
News from earlier this year... not sure if the offer went through

Beth Shalom synagogue has conditionally sold its land at Rideau and Chapel streets to a subsidiary of Trinity Development Group (previously sale to Claridge fell through)
http://jewishottawa.com/page.aspx?id=262070







here are the previous plans Claridge had for the site..
http://www.cbre.ca/o/torontonorth/AssetLibrary/151Chapel_brochure.pdf
Are you kidding me?! I've been looking at what's being proposed on Yonge Street wondering why no one is doing stuff like that in Ottawa. If someone from Claridge is watching this forum, this proposal needs to come back NOW.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2966  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 4:21 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Are you kidding me?! I've been looking at what's being proposed on Yonge Street wondering why no one is doing stuff like that in Ottawa. If someone from Claridge is watching this forum, this proposal needs to come back NOW.
I don't understand why this wasn't done with the Claridge Plaza fiasco.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2967  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 4:44 PM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Are you kidding me?! I've been looking at what's being proposed on Yonge Street wondering why no one is doing stuff like that in Ottawa. If someone from Claridge is watching this forum, this proposal needs to come back NOW.
This would have been a great addition to the city... In fact, they should reconsider their assurance vie plans and do this. it's seems much better suited for a bustling area.

I'm hoping that Claridge will be upping the ante with similar projects to this. 1040 Somerset is along similar lines, so I'm wondering if they're turning over a new page for architecture in Ottawa.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2968  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 4:49 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
This would have been a great addition to the city... In fact, they should reconsider their assurance vie plans and do this. it's seems much better suited for a bustling area.

I'm hoping that Claridge will be upping the ante with similar projects to this. 1040 Somerset is along similar lines, so I'm wondering if they're turning over a new page for architecture in Ottawa.
I still like the hotel proposal, but I would love something similar to this as opposed to the horrible condo currently proposed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2969  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 3:57 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
Okay I know jealousy is a big thing but I can't but help but be jealous at all the towers and nice proposals going around in Canada while Ottawa gets poop. Case in point; Calgary. It is a little bit smaller in terms of population as Ottawa but both are pretty much the same. I was creeping their SSP page and they have several nice towers proposed for their downtown.. most of them 45, 50, 58 floors! While we have trouble getting 30 in Ottawa
Also, it's not just a height thing but they are getting proposals for VERY nice, intriguing and architecturally pleasing designs! Imagine seeing any of these designs in Little Italy, Bayview, Lebreton Flats or Hurdman...

I guess I can just continue dreaming...



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2970  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 9:02 PM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Okay I know jealousy is a big thing but I can't but help but be jealous at all the towers and nice proposals going around in Canada while Ottawa gets poop. Case in point; Calgary. It is a little bit smaller in terms of population as Ottawa but both are pretty much the same. I was creeping their SSP page and they have several nice towers proposed for their downtown.. most of them 45, 50, 58 floors! While we have trouble getting 30 in Ottawa
Also, it's not just a height thing but they are getting proposals for VERY nice, intriguing and architecturally pleasing designs! Imagine seeing any of these designs in Little Italy, Bayview, Lebreton Flats or Hurdman...

I guess I can just continue dreaming...

The first one makes me drool! With some of these and the Bow, Calgary is developing quite a skyline. And they've got great projects (did you see the National Music Centre of Canada's design?).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2971  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 11:26 PM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
The first one makes me drool! With some of these and the Bow, Calgary is developing quite a skyline. And they've got great projects (did you see the National Music Centre of Canada's design?).
Wow! That's a nice one, for sure! Reminds me of the condo proposal from Bjarke Ingles Group for Vancouver. I didn't even know about The Bow until last week when it appeared on an architecture blog. I'd love to see a Foster & Partners building in Ottawa at some point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2972  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:08 AM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
Am I the only one who thinks that the last example from YYC is frightfully ugly? Monstrous, even?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Okay...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2973  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:12 AM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
Ack, I've posted it again! Look away! "It's hideous, Jerry!"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2974  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:37 AM
bartlebooth bartlebooth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that the last example from YYC is frightfully ugly? Monstrous, even?
I find the last two proposals to be 'frightfully ugly'.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2975  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 1:55 AM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Wow! That's a nice one, for sure! Reminds me of the condo proposal from Bjarke Ingles Group for Vancouver. I didn't even know about The Bow until last week when it appeared on an architecture blog. I'd love to see a Foster & Partners building in Ottawa at some point.
Ooh, the Bjarke Ingles Group building looks spectacular! I'm subscribed to two architecture magazines, and I'm more and more disappointed with how behind Ottawa is. Toronto, Montreal, Calgary have found their way into the pages of those mags frequently.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2976  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 2:25 AM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Ooh, the Bjarke Ingles Group building looks spectacular! I'm subscribed to two architecture magazines, and I'm more and more disappointed with how behind Ottawa is. Toronto, Montreal, Calgary have found their way into the pages of those mags frequently.
I agree. We are quickly being surpassed. And for the capital of Canada, it's sad that we're so far behind. There really isn't much emphasis placed on Design and Architecture. That said, in recent years it has been improving, it's just not improving quick enough.

One thing that really bugs me is that we don't have anything by Frank Gehry in Ottawa - no art or architecture whatsoever. The guy isn't getting any younger, and he's arguably Canada's most prolific/sought-after architect (or art-chitect, I suppose is more accurate). Toronto keeps pulling in more projects from his studio, and whatever your opinion is regarding his work, it brings in a lot of interest. I can't tell you how many news outlets, blogs, and magazines have talked about his latest projects. It's not only exposure for the architect and his work, but also for the city. When was the last time a building in Ottawa was featured in one of those publications?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2977  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 2:49 AM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is online now
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
I agree. We are quickly being surpassed.
Surpassed? That implies Ottawa was once ahead of one of these other cities, and I'm not sure that it ever was.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2978  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 4:31 AM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Surpassed? That implies Ottawa was once ahead of one of these other cities, and I'm not sure that it ever was.
Well... Do the Parliament Buildings count? I'm sure we were ahead of other cities in terms of beautiful architecture when they were constructed, in the mid-1800s, right?

But to be serious, I feel like we had SOME buildings many decades ago that people fawned over when they were built. It's just been so long ago that we've fallen into obscurity.

Actually... we do have some nice projects. Have you seen the Delegation of Ismaili Imamat? Sadly, I didn't get a good frontal picture (and they seem a bit grey), but you can see the photos I took when I visited during Doors Open Ottawa. It's a really nice building on Sussex.

The architect was Fumihiko Maki, who also did this iconic building in Aoyama:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2979  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 4:44 AM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
I agree. We are quickly being surpassed. And for the capital of Canada, it's sad that we're so far behind. There really isn't much emphasis placed on Design and Architecture. That said, in recent years it has been improving, it's just not improving quick enough.

One thing that really bugs me is that we don't have anything by Frank Gehry in Ottawa - no art or architecture whatsoever. The guy isn't getting any younger, and he's arguably Canada's most prolific/sought-after architect (or art-chitect, I suppose is more accurate). Toronto keeps pulling in more projects from his studio, and whatever your opinion is regarding his work, it brings in a lot of interest. I can't tell you how many news outlets, blogs, and magazines have talked about his latest projects. It's not only exposure for the architect and his work, but also for the city. When was the last time a building in Ottawa was featured in one of those publications?
Former prime ministers like Laurier and Mackenzie King dreamed of Ottawa becoming a marvelous, modern capital (and then hired Gréber to do the opposite). I wish our governments and developers had their same hopes to see this city as a marvelous place, with incredible buildings features in architectural magazines, encouraging archi-tourism to see those buildings, and not the typical tourist fare.

I'll be honest, I'm not too surprised there isn't much emphasis on architecture and design - not to put Ottawa down, as I love it and moved back here from Montreal and Toronto - but aren't we the city that fun forgot, and the city in Canada with the least arts funding? The fact that buildings are mediocre (or worse) is heartbreaking. While this may be overly optimistic and perhaps naïve, it's for that reason that I'm switching programs and hoping to get into architecture: to somehow contribute buildings this city needs desperately.

We have several prolific architects that we should have buildings from here. Hell! We fawn over Canadian works of art and collect them all, but we don't have architecture and public spaces designed by famous Canadian architects? I find some of Gehry's work to be a bit too much/ busy, like the condo towers he's proposed for Toronto (I know, heresy!), but I love the office building he did on West 19th Street:



Actually, a shout-out to the building across from this one in New York, 100 11th Avenue:


This one is really nice as well; and one that receives little attention, just behind this building is one by Shigeru Ban.

Personally, I love Shigeru Ban's stuff more than Gehry's and would love to see some of his stuff in Ottawa. If you don't know who he is, definitely check him out as his designs and materials are fascinating. Here is my favourite of his, the GC Osaka building:



(Geez, there's just so many buildings, I want to post them all. We should make a thread where we can share buildings we like and would love to see in Ottawa).

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Jul 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2980  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:05 PM
Skyway Skyway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 127
Claridge proposes demolishing Union of Canada building

http://www.obj.ca/Real%20Estate/Non-resi...s-demolishing-Union-of-Canada-building/1

Would like to see the end of this building in the Market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.