Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun
Now that's a nice looking library!
|
Can't go wrong with dutch design
I'd love to see a library like that one in this city, but the pessimist in me says it'll never happen. In the very least, I'd like to see a better central library put in place in the downtown core (like the central library in NYC - actually, I believe Foster and Partners is on schedule to revitalise/modernise that library now too). I thought there was talk of moving the one on Bank to the old Technical High School? They decided to make small adjustments to the existing library, though, did they not?
And speaking of dutch design, does anyone remember many years ago - I think in the 90s - Ottawa being honoured by Holland for our help in WWII? I thought they were going to gift us with a windmill as a token of appreciation, and the city/government turned down the gift? I vaguely recall some backlash from the public too saying the windmill would create too much noise or something (unless I'm imagining that part - or potentially the whole gifting scenario altogether)...I've searched for this story for a while, but have never been able to find any coverage of it. Provided that story was true, it's a shame it never happened...