HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8861  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 2:35 PM
JCE JCE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Pictures, we need pictures! I don't know what's wrong with city council and posting things!

Like I mentioned before we need to come up with a list of questions for candidates, and one could be easier access to development renders. There should be somewhere on the city website where you can view every proposal.
I agree. Like the Steele Hotel. There are almost 2 floors built. And still confusion on what the thing will look like. The original render, the second industrial park looking render or something new??. All I can assume or hope is that it is the original render at least.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8862  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 2:40 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
it's like if it falls within regulation, the design doesn't matter and it just flies through without even getting to see a render
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8863  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 4:30 PM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Right now, I'm not in support of the Scotia Center expansion. It is one of the few open spaces downtown, and is always packed during events like the Busker festival. I would hate to see that covered up by a useless three story glass box.

I would much rather see them improve Scotia Square by adding some benches and trees and turn it into a little park in the middle of DT rather than closing off one of the only open public spaces downtown.

I need to see renders.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8864  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 11:08 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is online now
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,082
^ It would be a shame to see that open plaza disappear, and it's impossible to know exactly what they plan without some renders and site plans. I think it would be acceptable to use up 50% of the space but not more. These spaces are important in downtown areas especially if they are rare or frequently used. Also, adding to a building 27 years later means it likely won't match the existing building very well and might look oddly different.

Last edited by Architype; Jun 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8865  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 1:14 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ It would be a shame to see that open plaza disappear, and it's impossible to know exactly what they plan without some renders and site plans. I think it would be acceptable to use up 50% of the space but not more. These spaces are important in downtown areas especially if they are rare or frequently used. Also, adding to a building 27 years later means it likely won't match the existing building very well and might look oddly different.
This is questionable too:

Quote:
2. The building is constructed in accordance with the Heritage Area 2 guidelines.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8866  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 1:40 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is online now
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,082
Hopefully that just refers to the 15 m limit, and does not mean it will have Victorian windows and ornamentation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8867  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 3:18 AM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
Residents Concerned with Proposed Campground

Quote:
Residents of Blackhead are concerned about a proposed campground to be situated "right in their backyards." Angela told VOCM Open Line with Bill Rowe that she owns a souvenir shop in the area. She says even though the campground could bring her extra business, it's not worth sacrificing the community's safety.



Angela says fire is a big concern. She points out that there is only one road in and out of Blackhead, and at full capacity, the campground could hold upwards of 700 people.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=35613&latest=1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8868  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 3:38 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
It's just getting comical at this point.

Yes, let's freeze everything RIGHT AS IT IS and NEVER do anything else, ever.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8869  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 3:46 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Residents Concerned with Proposed Campground

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=35613&latest=1
I tend to agree with them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8870  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 5:01 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is online now
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,082
Quote:
Angela says fire is a big concern. She points out that there is only one road in and out of Blackhead, and at full capacity, the campground could hold upwards of 700 people.
Half the small towns in NL are at the end of a single road, some contain over 1,000 people. I don't think that is much of a reason to deny this approval, but is a concern worth looking at.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8871  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 10:04 AM
J.A.I.L.'s Avatar
J.A.I.L. J.A.I.L. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
re the sctoia square development. I woudl like to see them add the floors to the area above the existing bank. that way they get thier three story expansion.. it will not imped anyones views cause the existing structure along side already blocks them. and teh court yard stays as is!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8872  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 12:01 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Half the small towns in NL are at the end of a single road, some contain over 1,000 people. I don't think that is much of a reason to deny this approval, but is a concern worth looking at.
That's not a great reason to deny it, but I was surprised that it was being proposed so close to houses. When I first saw the proposal I didn't think it was near houses at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8873  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 1:31 PM
Copes's Avatar
Copes Copes is offline
Millennial Ascendancy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.I.L. View Post
re the sctoia square development. I woudl like to see them add the floors to the area above the existing bank. that way they get thier three story expansion.. it will not imped anyones views cause the existing structure along side already blocks them. and teh court yard stays as is!
Are we sure they mean the Plaza? I won't be happy if the Plaza goes, but my initial thought (I don't know why) was that they meant above the bank. Then I saw all the posts and assumed I was wrong (and still am assuming I'm wrong. haha).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8874  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 1:37 PM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Well if they add another 3 stories above the bank, it would be over 15m and therefore would not be in compliance with the Heritage Zoning rules as they claim it is. They also said "east" which would mean the courtyard. I would be fine with it if they just wanted to build on half the courtyard on the Harbour Drive side and leave the water street side as it is, but if it means getting rid of the water street courtyard entirely, I say no to this proposal. BUT.. because It's only 3 stories, it will get pushed through swiftly and silently and the public will never hear tell of it before they're fencing it off and digging holes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8875  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 2:39 PM
A325 A325 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 52
Its going on the plaza. I just hope they copy the same facade as the rest of the building and don't do another Delta extension to us
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8876  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 2:56 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
+1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8877  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 8:57 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
They just talked about the Scotia centre on NTV and they said that Councillor Hann wants to see some "gathering space" on Water street. Therefore I'm assuming it's planning to get rid of Scotia Square ... I hope they keep a plaza and make it a nicer even if it's smaller plaza. right now it's a wind tunnel, so I'm kind of happy there will be a wind breaker between the street and the harbour but I hope they keep the plaza area on water stree.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8878  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 9:05 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
here's some podcasts about the Lighthouse project lol ... -_-

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local+Shows/Newfoundland/On+the+Go/ID/2390960687/


Kudoos to the host in this one! he obviously see how silly this resident is ... and she seems so out of touch and not understanding it at all

and hey in the end Mr. Chaulk throws in an opinion and LOVES this development and tears the Quality Inn woman down hahaha
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local+Shows/Newfoundland/On+the+Go/ID/2391139604/

Last edited by jeddy1989; Jun 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8879  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 9:11 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 7,642
Council notes via. Twitter:

-Proposed 6-storey office tower expansion at 430-436 Water Street deferred by Duff
-3-storey addition to Scotia Centre is to be where the current tim's is. Development committee suggests approval in principle; Hann wants the proposal to have a "parkette or open space". Deferred to planning department.
-O'Leary talks about crime committee, yawn. O'Keefe fights back and tells O'Leary that the committee idea has been well discussed between himself and Galgay well in advance, and that it was on Galgay's suggestion that the proposal be brought forward. Layin' the smackdown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8880  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 9:17 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
If the city council was sensible they'd allow roof top gardens, then we could have one on third story extension of the Scotia Centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
here's some podcasts about the Lighthouse project lol ... -_-

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local+Shows/Newfoundland/On+the+Go/ID/2390960687/


Kudoos to the host in this one! he obviously see how silly this resident is ... and she seems so out of touch and not understanding it at all

and hey in the end Mr. Chaulk throws in an opinion and LOVES this development and tears the Quality Inn woman down hahaha
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local+Shows/Newfoundland/On+the+Go/ID/2391139604/
Painful!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.