HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4181  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 12:25 AM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Off topic and weird: Fox 13 came out to my place yesterday and did a hard-hitting story on my Muppet LEGO proposal. If you have about three minutes to gather mocking ammunition, check it out. Or not. Either is acceptable. http://fox13now.com/2013/06/07/utah-man-designs-the-muppets-out-of-legos/
Nice...!
I voted... I hope you get the votes you need.
     
     
  #4182  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 2:08 AM
SLC_Rising's Avatar
SLC_Rising SLC_Rising is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 27
Well, for what its worth, coming from someone from the PNW (Pacific Northwest) I understand the frustration regarding quality of materials used as well as architectural diversity. However, with that said, SLC is a young booming City, and it will continue to be. Seattle took what made it unique and built around that...that means the good AND the bad.

No City is perfect, but when a City is "booming" and growing, you have to except the "bad" to really appreciate the good...and just think, with all the projects going on and growth, its only going to spur more and more unique developments/developers to get their piece of the pie as well. And unlike many other Cities, SLC has parking lots and the like to be able to do so without the need to take away anymore older eclectic buildings than already has.
     
     
  #4183  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 2:37 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
I just wish western downtown could have preserved the density similar to the eastern area between the U and State. It's obvious it existed once and the climb back, while it continues to happen, is going to take a considerable amount of time - especially when you consider there remains little development between West Temple and 300 West.
While I am not positive, I am pretty sure that western downtown never resembled East Downtown. Yes there was buildings, but mostly warehouses and a couple of hotels, mostly do to the train depots. I don't believe it was ever the residential density, filled with 3-4 story walk ups, that we have in east downtown.

I project that the west end of the CBD from Main to 300 W will rise much higher as time goes on, a couple of towers in the 20-30 range wouldn't surprise me, hopefully the CC Hotel will be the first. I can see some mid-rise mixed in there as well 5-15. West of 300 west I don't really anticipate anything more than maybe 8 stories, mostly 4-8 would be my guess.

The addition of the downtown street car, down 200 S could really kick start the connection we are all wanting between Main and 400 W.
     
     
  #4184  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 3:10 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
While I am not positive, I am pretty sure that western downtown never resembled East Downtown. Yes there was buildings, but mostly warehouses and a couple of hotels, mostly do to the train depots. I don't believe it was ever the residential density, filled with 3-4 story walk ups, that we have in east downtown.

I project that the west end of the CBD from Main to 300 W will rise much higher as time goes on, a couple of towers in the 20-30 range wouldn't surprise me, hopefully the CC Hotel will be the first. I can see some mid-rise mixed in there as well 5-15. West of 300 west I don't really anticipate anything more than maybe 8 stories, mostly 4-8 would be my guess.

The addition of the downtown street car, down 200 S could really kick start the connection we are all wanting between Main and 400 W.
No...I never claimed it was residential. As I pointed, out, though, there was far more density - and the level rivaled that of eastern Salt Lake (the aerial I posted on the past page shows this). Western Salt Lake looked very similar to the warehouse districts of a great deal of other industrial cities that kept theirs - like Portland:



Had we kept those buildings, they obviously would have been converted in the 90s and 00s into residential lofts & businesses and it would have proven even more successful, sadly, than what we have. It's just a shame we ruined a great deal of our fabric because, at one point, SLC's core rivaled the density of larger cities like Denver, IMO.
     
     
  #4185  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 4:03 AM
Just A Thought Just A Thought is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycdii View Post
Hey, so I'm going to England for the next two weeks. Anyone have any suggestions on interesting things to see/do related to design/development/architecture or whatever? I've been before and I've done a lot of the touristy things, so I thought I'd check for suggestions for especially educational or interesting city things.

I'll be in London, Edinburgh and anywhere else (I have a Britrail pass and almost no fixed schedule).
Very little known, but London transport runs a little river bus right through London on the Thames. I recommend getting on at Chelsea Harbour. That river bus will take you to Black Friars, change there for the Greenwich bound river bus.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/21315.aspx

In true London efficiency, you can even use your oyster card, costs about $8.

In terms of architecture, A great European city is always judged by what you see from its main artery..

its been a while since I lived in London, but at the time, even the locals hardly knew it existed.
     
     
  #4186  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 4:33 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Say hi to the Queen for me.
     
     
  #4187  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 2:29 PM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. I will definitely be using them, and saying hello the queen.
     
     
  #4188  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 6:35 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
while in England you must say Geronimo every time you are about to do something crazy or daring. Also when ever a woman tells you to do something you say, "Yes Mum".
     
     
  #4189  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 12:32 AM
justiny justiny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Western Salt Lake looked very similar to the warehouse districts of a great deal of other industrial cities that kept theirs - like Portland:
That image of Portland reminded me of the Minneapolis Warehouse District that I visited for my job... Which was thriving eight years ago when I was last there.

Sad that Salt Lake couldn't capitalize on that opportunity in the 70's and 80's.
     
     
  #4190  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 3:21 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,765
Pics by Photo Dean @ http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=21202433@N08&q=salt%20lake%20city








The change in the skyline from this angle will be significant, just with the addition of 110 S. Main and the CCH



Last edited by delts145; Jun 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM.
     
     
  #4191  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 3:28 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycdii View Post
Hey, so I'm going to England for the next two weeks. Anyone have any suggestions on interesting things to see/do related to design/development/architecture or whatever? I've been before and I've done a lot of the touristy things, so I thought I'd check for suggestions for especially educational or interesting city things.

I'll be in London, Edinburgh and anywhere else (I have a Britrail pass and almost no fixed schedule).
I just returned last week from spending 2 weeks in London and the rest of Brittain and Ireland. As for current development the area surrounding Tower Bridge and the Shard (tallest building in western Europe) has a ton going on. Someone mentioned the City Hall area, which I found interesting as well. There is a great mix of old buildings and interesting new ones going in. The biggest thing I noticed about London is that it is so spread out. If you took all of it's tall buildings and put them together in one downtown area the skyline could be great but instead there are pockets of tall buildings spread accross the whole city.

Edinburgh was my favorite city over there. The gothic arcitecture of 'old town' was amazing, and it's all built on top of a hill so it makes the structures look even more imposing. We stayed in 'new town', which means it's only 200 years old. It's funny, here we consider a building old if it was built 100 years ago (and we should because it's the history that we have), back east there are buildings a few hunderd years old, then in Europe we saw things built over a thousand years ago. I guess old is a matter of perspective.
     
     
  #4192  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:08 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,765
In Europe, I lived in an apartment that predated Columbus.

I agree about Edinburgh being amazing. I've often thought I would like to see some of it's building's amazing elemental treatment used on some of Salt Lake's future inner blocks.
     
     
  #4193  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 8:15 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Pics by Photo Photo Dean @
It's amazing how much Promontory changes this view. A few years ago, I couldn't stand most photos taken from this area because it made the skyline look much smaller than it really was.

Now just get that convention center tower over by the Salt Palace and the skyline will look like it's doubled from this angle.
     
     
  #4194  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 10:02 PM
SLC_Rising's Avatar
SLC_Rising SLC_Rising is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 27
Contruction equipment is being brought into the 600 S. State St. grassy lot across from Grand America.
     
     
  #4195  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 10:09 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,765
^^^
Has there been word about starting construction on the DA's offices?
     
     
  #4196  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 10:35 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC_Rising View Post
Contruction equipment is being brought into the 600 S. State St. grassy lot across from Grand America.
Cool, are they finally going to break ground on the DA office then? Last I hard this development had some funding issues and that it was a ways off. This news comes as a surprise.
     
     
  #4197  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 10:39 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108


I always love the "Canyon" feel this part of South Temple and Main brings. Having the Eagle Gate Tower ( now WTCU ), Zions Bank Tower, Gateway Tower West, JSMB and 99 West makes that area feel like a real downtown.
Same can now be said about Main and 200-300 S. with the Chase Tower, Wells Fargo Center and 222 South Main, another area group with towers that gives Main street a "Canyon" also.
Can't wait to see what 111 South Main will do to Main Street from a street view level.
     
     
  #4198  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:00 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I certainly hope the DA Building isn't going up as they do not have a building permit that has been issued, and there has been no progress on an approval in over a year. As far as I know that project is DOA.
     
     
  #4199  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:22 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
     
     
  #4200  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:38 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Maybe it's not for the DA building itself, but for maybe more site clearing or for unities.
Or maybe the DA office development is just dead all together and that a parking lot will go in it's place.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.