HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8741  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 1:25 PM
J.A.I.L.'s Avatar
J.A.I.L. J.A.I.L. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
hahahah i actually saw him online the other day and asked him sooo how is proposla 23? i was instantly deleted and blocked hahahahah!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8742  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 6:51 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Just skimmed through the agenda. There is a cool proposal for the old orphanage on Margaret's Place.
http://stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/files/agenda/Regular%20Agenda%20June%2010%202013.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8743  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 7:30 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
also 271 Duckworth is finally bought by the looks of it and going to be developed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8744  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 9:07 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Just skimmed through the agenda. There is a cool proposal for the old orphanage on Margaret's Place.
http://stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/files/agenda/Regular%20Agenda%20June%2010%202013.pdf
AAAHHH! I love it. I was in taking pictures of that last year!


Belvedere Convent by Newfoundland-Photos.com, on Flickr


Belvedere Convent by Newfoundland-Photos.com, on Flickr


Belvedere Convent by Newfoundland-Photos.com, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8745  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 9:18 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8746  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 10:03 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 7,642
wow, that looks great
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8747  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 10:08 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,340
What heritage hoops will this have to jump through? I LOVE the combination of the modern with the old. There's no reason the addition should be faux-heritage. This is much nicer!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8748  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 10:27 PM
Chew's Avatar
Chew Chew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 90
I was worried seeing the pictures of the building presently that we could lose something with so much charm and nice features - but, I was wrong. This looks fantastic! It complements the existing design better than I could have imagined.

I hope this gets built!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8749  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 10:28 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
It was approved by the Heritage Committee!

I will be interested in seeing how O'Leary votes on the proposal, she was complaining in the past that this area was too dense.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8750  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 10:54 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
It was approved by the Heritage Committee!

I will be interested in seeing how O'Leary votes on the proposal, she was complaining in the past that this area was too dense.
Oh my God... she does know that's where the whole city has to go to get its MCP cards right now, right?

Traffic is the main complaint related to density, and changing this to condos will DRAMATICALLY decrease the amount of traffic going down that road.

I had to go there just a few weeks ago when I thought I broke my foot (I never do anything until I need it, so I had to take a cab there to get my MCP before going to emergency).

It was crowded and busy.

Once it's condos, the whole city won't be going up and down that road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8751  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 12:16 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is online now
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,082
^ Probably the best thing about this is that they will be trying to recreate some semblance of the gardens which used to be there, in place of the present parking lot disaster. The new addition, while not bad in itself, should have provided a less abrupt transition between the new and the old.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8752  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 12:17 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,340
Oh, I love the abrupt. The difference between the pink stone orphanage and the green clapboard convent is already so dramatic... why not add a third? If they paint it white, it's a Newfoundland flag!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8753  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 1:51 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is online now
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,082
The original building design is meant to be iconic, formal, grand, and dominant, so it needs a little more visual breathing space. However, it's not so bad as to make me oppose the project. They did mention that the design was preliminary though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8754  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 12:43 PM
Arrakis Arrakis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,354
Wow that looks amazing. Would certainly be nice to see something finally done with this property. All of the surrounding condos and homes are pretty much brand new yet these old historic buildings are typically being left to rot and fall down by its current owners, so it's good to see a proposal to restore them. Will be a nice addition to that area for sure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8755  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 1:35 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 7,642
Looks like google streetview cars are back in St. John's
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8756  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 2:07 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Sweet!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8757  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 3:48 PM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
also 271 Duckworth is finally bought by the looks of it and going to be developed
Oh, so that's half of the Compu College School of Business building? Is Compu College no longer there and both sides are for sale? Only 271 has been purchased?

--

Regarding Margaret Place design:

It seems to be a pretty charming proposal. However, the renderings are in a strange, vintage-esque style which really isn't standard for a development like this. It makes me curious. Hopefully the contemporary addition is not Jellybean inspired as well!

The Site Plan is also lacking details/context. I think I agree entirely with Architype, and the most exciting aspect is the gardens, so far. Hopefully that public green space is more manicured to promote more foot movement via Margaret's place to Bonaventure - it would really help with walkability in the area. I think it is a pity that these two beautiful buildings have been tucked away on a side road. They would really enrich a thoroughfare via Margaret's Place.

I also wonder why it's a 'Place' at all for such an abrupt ending to the road without development AND there being an opening to the road just north. It would be nice to see the road extended toward the intersection just north-east and to create a roundabout that would really help manage traffic at that junction (which is a frustrating mess, in general). But it would be a pity too to lose the green space.

Re Sheilagh's comments. I don't recall her saying it was too dense. I recall her saying it was sloppy and poorly thought out. Which isn't completely false.

And good that we'll have more up-to-date street-view. Hopefully it will include more frames for a more continuous/fluid street-view experience. However, I would particularly like to see the google satellite views improved. The St.John's satellite view on Google is a mis-match of seasons!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8758  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 3:57 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
You can look up the minutes. She complains about the planning issues and says it's too dense.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8759  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 4:05 PM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
But I think you need to put that comment ("too dense") into context.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8760  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 4:12 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
But I think you need to put that comment ("too dense") into context.
Go ahead then, put it into context. Tell me what O'Leary really meant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.