HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2921  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 11:16 PM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
if anyone noticed for 2 weeks ending last weekend TERMINAL was closed at Main due to some "emergency water works rebuild" is what I was told by some "vest wearing" guys

for the 1st week it was BOTH WAYS ON TERMINAL ..... yes there was STATION STREET to help .... but guess what MEGGS, etc. THE WHOLE AREA WAS A GONG SHOW. National was bumper to bumper for hours and hours every day. Vennables @ Clark .... GONG SHOW AS WELL.

dare I predict this is exactly what will happen when the VIADUCTS is taken down?

ALSO .... get ready for it folks ... POWELL STREET CLOSURE.

I predict .... more pedestrian strikes on hastings over the coming year .... I predict the viaducts getting WAYYY more usage ... I predict more Main/Terminal gridlock. I predict MEGGS still saying we need to tear them down. I predict the cocky british transport planner who works for the COV to say it was "all part of his traffic modeling" ......


Project closing East Van traffic artery

A major East Vancouver traffic artery will be closed to commuters later this month, and local shopkeepers are worried about the impact.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=940477&binId=1.1184694&playlistPageNum=3
I have to agree with this one. I actually use both the Main/Terminal route to get to the burbs, but that stupid construction makes it so difficult so now I have to use the Powell route. Then I just found out today, the Powell route will be closed for a year. Its a nitemare!

Such horrendous traffic situation should make people think twice about getting rid of the viaducts. If you noticed in the Solo District thread, I've already written off a possible condo purchase in the Brentwood Mall area because of horrendous traffic. Its not a good thing to experience, and I think people will think twice into wanting to live in an area if gridlock awaits them.

You can't rely on transit, even Skytrain 100% of the time in today's modern world even if you lived right beside a station...a car is a necessary evil. I personally tried to Zip Car it for three years here in Yaletown until I realized with the amount of money I paid, I could have just bought a small cheap car, which I did later on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2922  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:12 AM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
I don't feel that the case has been clearly made that the removal of one or more of the viaducts will cause much suffering either. There is the perception and the belief, yes, but no incontrovertible evidence.

This matter of comparing road construction projects doesn't provide a direct analogy. The circumstances are different.

I do worry that the viaducts' removal could turn out to be a mistake but a greater part of me is fascinated by the potential of their removal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2923  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:28 AM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
I don't feel that the case has been clearly made that the removal of one or more of the viaducts will cause much suffering either. There is the perception and the belief, yes, but no incontrovertible evidence.

The case hasn't been made clear that the removal of one or more of the viaducts would cause minimal suffering or a benefit, either. As proponents for the change, viaduct removal supporters should be willing to provide evidence beyond their own intuition and personal belief that removal of the viaducts would provide a benefit to the community. The onus shouldn't be on defenders of the viaducts to provide hard and solid facts supporting their existence when those purporting the viaduct's destruction aren't willing to do the same.
__________________
"you're eating chicken periods" - Vid
"I love eggs, especially the ones with runny yolks" - Me
"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, you're disgusting!" - Vid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2924  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:49 AM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
....

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2925  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:15 AM
Zassk Zassk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
I do worry that the viaducts' removal could turn out to be a mistake but a greater part of me is fascinated by the potential of their removal.
Fascinated by the potential of flushing $100 million down the drain to demolish the viaducts, when the land under it is too polluted to build on?

Imagine what other projects the city could undertake with $100 million? For example, how much would the streetcar project cost?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2926  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:53 AM
Jebby's Avatar
Jebby Jebby is offline
........
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Way to go! You've confirmed Godwin's Law yet again!
Maybe he was talking about the Soviet death squads who killed hundreds of thousands?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2927  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 4:35 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Fascinated by the potential of flushing $100 million down the drain to demolish the viaducts, when the land under it is too polluted to build on?

Imagine what other projects the city could undertake with $100 million? For example, how much would the streetcar project cost?
I believe the first 2 phases of the Streetcar is 80 million. Someone can correct em if I am wrong.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2928  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 6:31 AM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
You can't rely on transit, even Skytrain 100% of the time in today's modern world even if you lived right beside a station...a car is a necessary evil. I personally tried to Zip Car it for three years here in Yaletown until I realized with the amount of money I paid, I could have just bought a small cheap car, which I did later on.
If you drive enough, sure. My wife and I share one car. However, I am getting a Modo membership as it would be cheaper than getting a second car for those couple times a month I need a car. Or minivan. Or pickup truck or cargo van. Or SUV.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2929  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 7:42 AM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Fascinated by the potential of flushing $100 million down the drain to demolish the viaducts, when the land under it is too polluted to build on?

Imagine what other projects the city could undertake with $100 million? For example, how much would the streetcar project cost?
There are those of us who think that spending the money on the streetcar project would just be another way to flush it down the drain.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2930  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 9:23 AM
Echowinds Echowinds is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Posts: 136
Eh, at least the streetcar at its very worst will become high capacity bus lines. That's still some value.

Knocking down viaducts? Negative value.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2931  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 10:42 AM
Pinion Pinion is offline
See ya down under, mates
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
If you drive enough, sure. My wife and I share one car. However, I am getting a Modo membership as it would be cheaper than getting a second car for those couple times a month I need a car. Or minivan. Or pickup truck or cargo van. Or SUV.
My wife and I do this too after trying to live with just Modo and transit for a long time. Now we have a car and Modo. Soon we might have two cars, but to do this we'll have to move further east. Maybe to Seylynn Village so we can be next to that sweet sweet highway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2932  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:17 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post

I do worry that the viaducts' removal could turn out to be a mistake but a greater part of me is fascinated by the potential of their removal.
I agree. I think it's a stupid idea on the surface, but since I rarely use the viaducts, part of me is curious to see exactly what will happen.

People tend to fear change, often being completely irrational in the process.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2933  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:19 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I believe the first 2 phases of the Streetcar is 80 million. Someone can correct em if I am wrong.
There has to be an ongoing cost. I can't imagine the streetcar will generate much more than 50% of it's operating cost in revenue...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2934  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:21 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
My wife and I do this too after trying to live with just Modo and transit for a long time. Now we have a car and Modo. Soon we might have two cars, but to do this we'll have to move further east. Maybe to Seylynn Village so we can be next to that sweet sweet highway.
My wife and I share a car as well.

What bothers me, but I think is changing, is the perception that you "need" a car for everything, and everybody needs one car. People don't seem to have a clear perception of what a car costs, and can't see past that to what else that money can be doing for you, in terms of transportation or anything else.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2935  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 4:10 PM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
There has to be an ongoing cost. I can't imagine the streetcar will generate much more than 50% of it's operating cost in revenue...
I doubt that, Vancouver transit routes get around ~80% fare recovery, The UBC B-Line even with subidized rates for students gets even higher. No reason to belive that the streetcar line right downtown along major destinations with only one driver per trainset would get anywhere near 50%. I wouldn't be surprised if it were pretty damn close to 100% recovery after a few years. The money that Translink needs to cover the #50route would probably cover whatever the farebox was lacking on the streetcar line.

Back onto the Viaducts, the council item has already been postponed on several occassions, the latest I heard was it would come to council in June/2013. It's not in the first set of meetings this month so that June 26th as the possible date otherwise that's yet another postponing. I do beleive they were expecting to be dealing with a different provincial government by now regarding the MRN issue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2936  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 4:49 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I doubt that, Vancouver transit routes get around ~80% fare recovery, The UBC B-Line even with subidized rates for students gets even higher. No reason to belive that the streetcar line right downtown along major destinations with only one driver per trainset would get anywhere near 50%. I wouldn't be surprised if it were pretty damn close to 100% recovery after a few years. The money that Translink needs to cover the #50route would probably cover whatever the farebox was lacking on the streetcar line.
Big portions of the streetcar line are geared for tourists, not regular commuters. Did you ride the Olympic demo line? Not a huge capacity on that thing. I would think the articulated buses easily hold more passengers.

And who says Translink is paying for any of it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2937  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 6:00 PM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
People tend to fear change, often being completely irrational in the process.
Yes, this is exactly my point about the "sky not falling". We've seen it time and time again in cities around the world - tremendous opposition to change, terms like "carmaggedon" being thrown around, hysterical internet posts... And then when the change actually does happen the four horsemen fail to show up for it...

I actually like the viaducts, they make my bike ride downtown a lot easier and I'd like them to stay until the end of their service life. But if they do get torn down I have no doubt that commuters and commercial traffic will adapt just fine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2938  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 7:39 PM
Sir Conga's Avatar
Sir Conga Sir Conga is offline
Be nice.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Yes, this is exactly my point about the "sky not falling". We've seen it time and time again in cities around the world - tremendous opposition to change, terms like "carmaggedon" being thrown around, hysterical internet posts... And then when the change actually does happen the four horsemen fail to show up for it...

I actually like the viaducts, they make my bike ride downtown a lot easier and I'd like them to stay until the end of their service life. But if they do get torn down I have no doubt that commuters and commercial traffic will adapt just fine.
I completely agree, especially with the last part. I'll add, and it's been mentioned here before: Beyond the "natural" life of the Viaducts, things will be a little different. There's a good chance a lot of autos will be automated by then, completely changing road dynamics. Heck, it's a long shot, but we might even have flying cars.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2939  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 9:04 PM
theKB theKB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Conga View Post
I completely agree, especially with the last part. I'll add, and it's been mentioned here before: Beyond the "natural" life of the Viaducts, things will be a little different. There's a good chance a lot of autos will be automated by then, completely changing road dynamics. Heck, it's a long shot, but we might even have flying cars.
I wouldn't be surprised if we started to see cars with at least autonomous attributes within ten years. The advances on that front are nothing short of spectacular. From in the 90's need to have specially constructed highways to where we are today with Google and other companies having fully autonomous solutions that can drive in normal vehicular traffic. Even as of now you already have certain systems that are aside from holding the wheel fairly autonomous with laser guided cruise control, queue assist and crash intervention.

Sorry went on a tangent there

Until the city stops growing removing infrastructure is just not appropriate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2940  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 9:16 PM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
My wife and I share a car as well.

What bothers me, but I think is changing, is the perception that you "need" a car for everything, and everybody needs one car. People don't seem to have a clear perception of what a car costs, and can't see past that to what else that money can be doing for you, in terms of transportation or anything else.
You could say that about owning a house versus renting to a much larger extent.

A good car with average use is about $0.40/km right now. It will come down over the next 5 years though. Expect for a city car style EV to cost about $0.25/km. That is with everything included, power, insurance and capital costs. In 10 more years that same type of car might just drive itself.
__________________
"It's ok, I'm an engineer!" -Famous last words
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.