I'm not sure if any of you were at the UDI Alberta annual conference today, but one of the workshop presenters was a guy by the name of Jim Heid from UrbanGreen. If you ever get a chance to her him speak I highly recommend it. His presentation basically focused on encourageing the concept of new urbanism into greenfield communities and the generation gap between the policy makers and developers who build communities and the people who will live in them. Things like a wide range of housing options and costs, built form (not 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 faux historic, but the importance of barriers that street side parking plays when it comes to pedestrian safety, boulevard trees, pedestrian scale of commercial buildings and plenty of glass, narrow streets) main streets, connectivity with surrounding developments, simpler architecture but using higher quality materials. Almost as if we were to build communities the way we did pre ww2 (my words not his). He had a bunch of examples of how these communities were barely effected (both with maintaing value and sales) by the housing crises in the States compared to typical suburban development.
Anyways, considering I've been critical of the desire of UDI to push for the status quo so I found it encouraging that a speaker like this was brought in. Certainly a mixed reaction, but there were a surprising amount of people (and not just worker bee's like myself) who agreed with many of his points and recognize the value in the ideas he presented.
__________________
Lana. Lana. Lana? LANA! Danger Zone
|